An agenda for American Politics

Consumer

Elder Statesman
A. Minimalist and largely Isolationist foreign policy.
1a. Out of Iraq, Afghanistan, S. Korea, Europe, and Japan (naval base).
2a. Reduce naval forces to 4 CBG's, reduce amphibious forces to what is necessary to support one Marine EU division. Keep submarine (SSN, SSGN, SSBN) forces the same or increase slightly as they are very cost-effective.
3a. The Air Force has actually been consolidating aircraft types pretty well. Accelerate retirement of the F-16 force in favor of F-35's. Retire the B-1. Re-engine the B-52's. Keep force levels at where they are at.
4a. Subsidies and other economic incentives for policy actually give a good return on investment. However, cut off Israel as it's militarily strong and wealthy enough, and our support causes a friction point with the Islamic countries for no real material gain.
5a. Match tariffs with competitors. If a country doesn't have a tariff, we don't have one with them. If they slap one on to protect themselves, we match it. Make it more or less automatic.

B. Social Security cut-off. If you are under 40, tell 'em now you WON'T be getting any SSI now so we can make plans. End taking SSI the tax when the SSI money will cover for the next 40 years the expected population. Get the government out of the insurance business.

C. Same goes for Medicare. Scrap government involvement in the insurance industry.

D. Simplify the Income Tax code (flat tax probably). Increase "use taxes" to make up any short-fall. However, with a reduced Military and other entitlement programs gone, we should be ok.
d1. Pay down our debt as soon as possible. This will make foreign influence on our government policy less of a factor.

E. Enforce the 10th amendment. I.e. "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."
E1. Add a new amendment: whenever a state's population exceeds 10 Million, that state will be divided so as to better serve the populations. P.S. the population of NYC is 8 Million, more or less.

There are some things the Federal Government should be doing. Hanging on to the national parks, BIG research projects (like NASA), regulating interstate commerce. Finally, it should be acting as an arbiter between state's laws in areas where the constitutionality of a law is at stake (i.e. gay marriage).

Note: I didn't touch immigration. That's a federal issue, but not a constitutional one as laws already exist for it, they are just not uniformly enforced.

Just My two cents.

Consumer

Elder Statesman
Ye gods. Not one response.

You are all brain-dead. Or you all agree with me.

Vote Sadistic Bastard in 2012!

"If nominated, I will not run, if elected, I will not serve."

Consumer

Elder Statesman
^ Fine, this is TK.

Justify your statement or disagreement, you limp-dicked evolutionary throwback.

Consumer

Elder Statesman
See, it's that sort of sheep-like apathy and refusal to think against what you are feed by the RNC and DNC that has this country in decline, in debt, and with our civil liberties being chiseled away even as they take our houses and other property away with this engineered "recession" and boogie-man threats of Al-Queda.

Enjoy your "dancing with the stars" media-opium while some rich guy signs up to use your liver, Comrade, because that's where this country will end up because of YOU!

Archibald Nixon

anti-life coach
Ye gods. Not one response.

You are all brain-dead. Or you all agree with me.

Vote Sadistic Bastard in 2012!

"If nominated, I will not run, if elected, I will not serve."

[YOUTUBE]rBRLJ_kVjeQ[/YOUTUBE]

The last man nearly ruined this place
He didn't know what to do with it
If you think this country's bad off now
Just wait 'til
I get through with it!

Consumer

Elder Statesman
Ahhh, so I see you've heard from my Minister of the Interior.

But seriously, does anyone else see that the government in the US is too big and unwieldy as it is?
Now the Chinese government works and governs even more people, but I wouldn't want to live there...

Donovan

beer, I want beer
I had a nice, point by point through response and rebuttal for your initial post and the stupid worksite computer logged me out and ate the damn thing. I'm not repeating it other than to say a great many of the ideas, while admirable and altruistic, are not workable in current conditions and are too simplistic to ever become reality. Like many people, you make the mistake of assuming what is good for a country is synonymous with what is good for a person. Doesn't work that way. Further, at least half your proposals not only destroy profits in a number of multinational entities (therefore guaranteeing powerful opposition) but also attack revenue streams within the government itself. Aside from the division of populous states few of these ideas would ever, or could ever, be put into practice without disastrous results.

Sarek

Vuhlkansu Wihs
No shit. He might as well just say kill all conservatives. Probably be easier to achieve.

eloisel

Forever Empress E
Not brain dead, not uninterested. Just your discussion points as presented are too broad while being too simplistic.

There are reasons why programs such as SSI and Medicare are in place. Just ending those programs without addressing the underlying purpose of the program isn't a good proposition.

Example, ending SSI. What is to be done with all the people who lost their retirement funds through stock market losses or they never made enough money to put something aside for their old age so they could retire but they became unable to work? No welfare either? You just going to toss old folks out on the street? You think that their children will support them? What?

Consumer

Elder Statesman
Mmm...well I can go into more detail if you wish.

And YES, they are un-popular. They require REAL change. Not a minor adjustment that a Republican or Democrat will give you. Change is scary. Change is uncertain. Change is not safe. So yes, I expect tooth and nail fights against it.

We can always switch the government to a benign dictatorship to get it done, then go back to the Republic. We have Rome as a model (of how not to do it)!

Homo Erectus

See, it's that sort of sheep-like apathy and refusal to think against what you are feed by the RNC and DNC that has this country in decline, in debt, and with our civil liberties being chiseled away even as they take our houses and other property away with this engineered "recession" and boogie-man threats of Al-Queda.

Enjoy your "dancing with the stars" media-opium while some rich guy signs up to use your liver, Comrade, because that's where this country will end up because of YOU!
I am not apathetic about political change. Just your ideas.

Consumer

Elder Statesman
I see.

Well, lets start with foreign policy then. To quote pre-911 Bush (the idiot one): We are not the world's Police-man. Explain how it is in our best interest to have our military deployed outside of our boarders if we are not at war? Not to mention the power-projection aspects of VERY expensive CVBG's.
And why are we supporting Israel when there are no natural resources in that country that we are really interested in and who is not a major trading partner (if you eliminate military goods)?

Shall we start there, sheep?

Note: I did not touch any of the social entitlement sacred cows.

Homo Erectus

I see.

Well, lets start with foreign policy then. To quote pre-911 Bush (the idiot one): We are not the world's Police-man. Explain how it is in our best interest to have our military deployed outside of our boarders if we are not at war? Not to mention the power-projection aspects of VERY expensive CVBG's.
And why are we supporting Israel when there are no natural resources in that country that we are really interested in and who is not a major trading partner (if you eliminate military goods)?

Shall we start there, sheep?

Note: I did not touch any of the social entitlement sacred cows.
Once again, I am not as sheep. I just don't think your moronic libertarian/isolationist ideas will work. That doesn't make me a sheep that makes me a doubter of your moronic ideas.

Consumer

Elder Statesman
Ok...so you don't think they will work. What do you base this "think" on?

What will work then? The Status Quo?

The current System, you know those people who took the S&P down to 500 and then built it back up again to double their money, Love people like you.

"We have always been at war with Eastasia".

Consumer

Elder Statesman
Mmm...so libertarian politics = Trolling fail.

Too intellectual I guess. Meh.

I'll go back to posting about boobs and Natalie Portman (and her boobs).

eloisel

Forever Empress E
Dear Consumer, there is a fine art to stirring shit. First, one must have a stick - a controversial subject or hot topic. Second, one must take the unpopular side of the suject (the short end of the stick). Third, one must be strong enough to stand there and take the verbal abuse of the self-righteous (be a willow tree instead of little tiny sapling). Name calling the opposition is only helpful when they are already under way and need a little nudge to keep their ire going or to steer it in another direction. The pay off is that quite often a really good discussion ensues. If you are truly interested in discussing your thoughts, don't wimp out.

Mirah

I love you
I think there were too many assumptions being made in this thread. Perhaps it can be ironed out. Or perhaps, just like the men suggest to us females, perhaps they can put on some tight jeans, cowboy hat and boots and ride around on some horses for our entertainment. Just like jello wrestling only different.

I thank you in advance for your compliance.