Arthur

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
OK, let me get this out of the way first. I'm a big fan of the original with Dudley Moore and Liza Minelli. It's a classic film that I love and have watched many times and it in no way needed a remake.

That said I wanted to see the remake regardless because it had Russell Brand in it and it is at least a remake of a movie I really love.

So yeah, I downloaded it a month or so ago and then went on IMDB to see it was rating at about 5.5 which is simply not good at all according to IMDB ratings. It's been panned quite a lot really.

Well, with nothing much else to watch I decided to watch it expecting a bit of a trainwreck and I actually though it was good. Not great but not bad either. It sticks pretty close to the original and Brand probably delivers his best acting job to date in the film even channeling the late Dudley Moore quite eerily in some scenes without sending up a performance of him.

I have a feeling there is still quite a backlash to Russell Brand featuring in anything. He is either loved or hated on both sides of the pond. I happen to love him so can focus on the quality of the picture. It's a pretty standard Rom-Com that isn't going to blow anyone away or garner tons of belly-laughs but it's entertaining and doesn't deserve quite the derision its received. That's all.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
The trailer didn't really appeal to me but I'm sure I'll see it eventually.

Have you seen Get Him To The Greek? It was good.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
It's a pretty standard Rom-Com that isn't going to blow anyone away or garner tons of belly-laughs but it's entertaining and doesn't deserve quite the derision its received.
But that's exactly the reason for the derision: The original DID blow people away and DID garner tons of belly-laughs. If you're going to remake a classic movie, you need to have a compelling reason for doing so. There simply was none here.

missmanners

grrrrrrrr...
I tried to watch the original several times, and I couldnt get through it. I dislike Liza Minelli; I dislike looking at her and I dislike listening to her. The whole drunken rich boy thing just bored me and I didn't see ANY humor in it at all. (yes yes, you may sue me). As far as the story goes, it's "Pretty Woman" with an accent. I did watch to the end (since Liza was nowhere to be seen) and while I wont watch it again, it was at least more entertaining than "Sucker Punch".

;)
mm

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I tried to watch the original several times, and I couldnt get through it. I dislike Liza Minelli; I dislike looking at her and I dislike listening to her. The whole drunken rich boy thing just bored me and I didn't see ANY humor in it at all. (yes yes, you may sue me).
A-HA! I see through your clever troll! Get me to threaten to sue you so you can get me kicked off TK! Well, I won't fall for it! So there! NYAH!

;)