headvoid

Can I have Ops?
I feel bad about derailing the Sherlock Holmes thread (not really, I like derailing threads)

Anyway - here is a list of the "Licensing Partners" involved with the Avatar film. I think it makes for interesting reading considering the overall YEAH IT'S LIKE GREEN YEAH? SAVING THE PLANET AND STUFF message the film rams down our throat.

Coca Cola - Massive deal to sell more metal cans containing sugary liquid
McDonalds - er...
Panasonic - make big tellies and stuff
LG mobile - You know all those metals in mobiles that African kids have to chop their arms off to get?
Jem Sportswear - T Shirts and stuff - guess where they are made? yup
Mattel - Figurines made out of er... Plastic - Do you think it's recycled plastic?

Future deals include a deal with Hummer, BP and the Nazi Party.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
This is the mine field. Derailment is to be expected.

Now, for more of Michael Bay's awesome

EXPLOSIONS!

73722471146866339886.jpg

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Ironically they have a deal with a company that supplies giant killer robots to evil corporations too.

Robert "Monkey" Loggia

Mongoloid Biscuit Beast
I didn't think "green" was the message it rammed down our throats. I think it was the anti-military, pro-native peoples, get in touch with nature and stop destroying the rainforest theme. There is a slight difference.

Consumer

Elder Statesman
Yeah, they had to make 'em blue aliens because Hippies vs. Marines just isn't much of a credible threat.

And now, more from Michael Bay.

bad-day-crop.jpg

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
I didn't think "green" was the message it rammed down our throats. I think it was the anti-military, pro-native peoples, get in touch with nature and stop destroying the rainforest theme. There is a slight difference.

I understand your point, it was not an exclusively green message. The film did focus colonisation and globalisation. i.e. not ramming down the throats of the indigenous people our way of life.

Then you do a deal with McDonalds and Coke.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
No, Mal. It's very anti-corporation pro-green. Remember, the guys with the guns in that movie were all mercenaries, paid by a big business that just wanted to bulldoze everything green to get the (horribly and obviously-named) Unobtanium. The "Savages" were the ones protecting and living in harmony with nature and had no such material goals. The message Cameron was trying to get across was as subtle as a brick to the face.

"Hey, I know! I'll write a movie, using the same plot as hundreds of films and plays before me to harp about an issue that's been so overdone in cinema that it's becoming cliche. Not only that, but I'll film the whole thing in 3-D, which will hopefully cover up the fact that this is all one giant piece of plagiarist, hippie garbage. Here kids! Buy some action figures made from non-bio-degradable plastics. If I get some money from this and win some more academy awards I'll act all giddy and happy, but not pretentious."

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
No, Mal. It's very anti-corporation pro-green. Remember, the guys with the guns in that movie were all mercenaries, paid by a big business that just wanted to bulldoze everything green to get the (horribly and obviously-named) Unobtanium. The "Savages" were the ones protecting and living in harmony with nature and had no such material goals. The message Cameron was trying to get across was as subtle as a brick to the face.

"Hey, I know! I'll write a movie, using the same plot as hundreds of films and plays before me to harp about an issue that's been so overdone in cinema that it's becoming cliche. Not only that, but I'll film the whole thing in 3-D, which will hopefully cover up the fact that this is all one giant piece of plagiarist, hippie garbage. Here kids! Buy some action figures made from non-bio-degradable plastics. If I get some money from this and win some more academy awards I'll act all giddy and happy, but not pretentious."

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
Apparantly James Cameron actually goes on bicycle rides with Arnold Sherryshagger.

Not that he likes to mention it.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I really enjoyed Avatar in the cinema (yes, purely for the visuals - I am a CG artist after all), but however many months later... I never want to see it ever again.

The moralising in the story wasn't just transparent, it was boring as well. The voice acting from Sigourney Weaver and Zoe Sultanas was pretty good, but Sam Worthlesstool was bland and one-note. Why does he keep getting cast in big movies? AND IT WENT ON FOR THREE DAYS. MY BUM HURT.

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
My bum hurt so much I thought I had been to a Lady Gaga concert and been "discreetly bum fucked"

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
Sam Worthlesstool was bland and one-note. Why does he keep getting cast in big movies? AND IT WENT ON FOR THREE DAYS. MY BUM HURT.

Clash of the Titans.

That's all I need to say.

If his career doesn't die after that travesty, I think I need to start to consider starring in big action films. It would be the final proof for me that there's big money for no-talent hacks. I could make millions.

Consumer

Elder Statesman
I liked "Dances with Wolves".

I did not like Avatar.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Did anyone actually claim Avatar was original or a great story?

Consumer

Elder Statesman
No.

"The Abyss" was semi-original, however.

Robert "Monkey" Loggia

Mongoloid Biscuit Beast

To me, there is a difference between the Fern Gully crap in Avatar and the green movement. Saving the rainforest is not the same as driving a fucking prius.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
Someone I know was just in a failed business venture in Brazil where they tried to increase the carbon credits of the country by planting eucalyptus trees as a way of supplementing the unused farmland and creating a wood fuel substitute for the drying of Brazil's large soybean crops. Ideally, they would have grown eucalyptus in the unused crops during the planters' off-season and cut them down to burn them instead of cutting down rainforest. Apparently, Brazil was gonna gouge the US company in tax revenue and try to keep the carbon credits and cash for themselves. Greedy fucks.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I suppose the biggest irony for me about Avatar, is that to get the green agenda rammed down our throat by the film, they had to have about 1000 pcs running day and night for about five years to churn out the CGI.

Ilyanna

moral imperfection
Does anyone of you actually believe that Cameron's even capable of grasping the concept of 'making movies to convey a message to the audience'?
I mean, that's like implying that Uwe Boll knows what a storyline is!