BAG O' BOOKS

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Which book should I read first? TELL ME.

Virtual Light, by William Gibson.
Even Cowgirls Get the Blues, by Tom Robbins
The Compass Rose, by Ursula K. Le Guin
Cat's Cradle, by Kurt Vonnegut Jr
Hocus Pocus, by Kurt Vonnegut Jr
Dawn, by Octavia Butler
The Atrocity Archives, by Charles Stross
Under Pressure, by Frank Herbert

FBI parte due

Folces Weard
Do you read the good ones first or last TOO LATE MY VOTE IS ALREADY CAST OMG

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I hope they're all decent! I know the Vonnegut books will be great.

curiousa2z

Be patient till the last.
GOOD BOOKS ALL except I cant speak about:
Dawn, by Octavia Butler
The Atrocity Archives, by Charles Stross or
Under Pressure, by Frank Herbert as I have never read 'em!
but maybe I should.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I like Octavia Butler, so I think the book will be good. AND of course I love FH so I think Under Pressure will be good.

curiousa2z

let me know what you decide to try first and I'll see if they've got it at the library and we can re-start our summer book reading club early and I can pretend it's not winter here!

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Haven't read any. Voted for Virtual Light because it might have some virtual light in it.

Big Dick McGee

If you don't know, now ya know
Cat's Cradle or Hocus Pocus. Vonnegut is AWESOME!!

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I'll probably read Cat's Cradle first. It's really short, and Vonnegut is awesome. The Compass Rose is a collection of short stories, I may not read them all one right after the other.

Curiousa2z, see if your library has Virtual Light, or The Atrocity Archives. We can do one of those together.. or Dawn. I think you checked for Octavia Butler before and they didn't have anything by her.

curiousa2z

it's a go for Virtual Light!

ah, but no The Atrocity Archives. :(

I think I'll dig out my Cat's Cradle and re-read it again - I remember I really liked it but I can't recall what the story was about...guess it'll come back to me when I start reading.
Then you can let me know when yer ready to start Virtual Light and I'll check it out.

ctmelvital

more cookies please?
Are they all sci-fi?

curiousa2z

Hocus Pocus and Cowgirls aren't - HP is more a philosophical commentary on several things in America, including class and prejudice, and the Vietnam war.
Cowgirls is a wild ride - kind of a hippie- cult-type story.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I couldn't resist the power of Tom Robbins. I love him deeply, even though I've only read a couple of his books. When I finish with Cowgirls I'll start Cat's Cradle. We can have a Cat's Cradle discussion if you want, Curious. It'll only take me a day or so to read Cowgirls, unless I try to read it slow so it never ends, lol.

Ishcabittle

that's a fine pack of books, you're going to be satisfied with whichever one you happen to pick up first. well done.

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
I voted for Compass Rose.

Right now, I'm reading Promises in Death by JD Robb, and a review book, Mortal Sins by Eileen Wilks.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Curiousa2z, let me know when you pick up Virtual Light. I have no idea if it is any good, but I loved the Sprawl books. Hopefully this will be kinda similar.

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
You know, other than Dune, I'm not into Frank Herbert.

(gods, I think I'm right...I'm so tired right now I could be totally fucking it up right now).