British Radio

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
To understand our radio, you have to understand that we have a mainly "non commercial" model funded via our license fee that pays for the telly as well.
Radio 1 - For the young kids / pop, but the evening slots tend to do new music
Radio 2 - For people who worry about their mortgage a lot, read the Daily Mail and think "girl from ipanema" is Jazz.
Radio 3 - For the 3 remaining people in the country that like classical music
Radio 4 - High brow stuff, Politicians argue on here a lot
Radio 5 - High and low brow news and sport, quite fun and irreverent
Radio 6 - Too cool for school, Ya, this new band are like SICK.

We judge people rashly for their radio choices. i.e I listen to Radio 4, 5 and 1 but as soon as I tell young people I listen to Radio 4 they point, laugh and call me an upper class tosser. You then get into a denial doom loop of saying "I listen to it for the comedy and in depth news!" and they laugh more and call me a Jeremy Cunt while throwing rotten fruit.

The alternatives to Radio 1 are commercial, mainly regional stations that play inane pop and have competitions paid for by my industry to win a fridge full of wee flavoured soft drinks. The DJ's are all called Johnny or double acts called Catch and Throw or something.

The alternatives to Radio 2 are similar to the above. If Radio 2 is not middle of the road enough for you, you should consider actually lying in the middle of the road of a major arterial route.

The alternatives to Radio 3 are listening to a monologue from Brian Sewell (The poshest bloke (art critic) in the western hemisphere) or rearranging your copies of wisdens almanac.

The alternatives to Radio 4 are fairly slim, it is quite unique

Radio 5 has an alternative in "Talksport" which is filled full of boring ex sportsmen who scratch their bits live on air and say "it's a free country isn't it!"

Radio 6 is too alternative to have an alternative. There was a massive backlash recently when the BBC considered cutting it (not really, they were kidding), then we all got upset, it was saved and everyone listened to Radio 1 again once they realised that the live session of "Dogbitch Bedsocks" would reach their audience of 17.

Just thought you should all know. We do actually have very good radio, due to the funding model. Doesn't mean I can't sneer about it on the internet. "It's a free country innit"

FBI parte due

Folces Weard
We have good radio in the US, too, it's just that you have to dig through 120 different "Adult Contemporary R&B" stations that only sell ads to car dealerships run by people who yell a lot to find it.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I mostly listen to Radio 1 if I have the radio on at all. But only from 4pm til 7pm when Scott Mills is on, as he's the only DJ I can currently tolerate. Greg James who's on before him is boringly polite and straight laced, while Zane Lowe is of course a self-righteous tosser, who thinks everything is a classic before it's even been released (or "dropped", as he always insists saying, just to remind you he's a music insider).

I've gone through phases of listening to commercial stations and talk radio, but the advertising, cooooonnnnstant reiterations of how you can get tickets for a festival and talk radio hosts' shoutyness always makes me switch off in the end.

Ugh. Just tuned into R1 and it's Sara Cox on this week because Scott's on holiday. *turns radio off*

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
ARE YOU ON BOARD! Says Zane Lowe. Even his name in itself gives you a clue to the mind numbing dribbling that he pumps out at MAXIMUM VOLUME! He is a not unlike a male Fearne Cotton on PCP.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Vanessa Feltz.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Scott isnt on holiday, hes walking across the sahara for comic relief.

I have Radio one on all day at work, but I only really enjoy Chris Moyles, all the other JDs just play music and gush over it, at least he says if he doesn't like a song, not that he plays many of them.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
RADIO FUCK IS THE BEST RADIO STATION, BUT OF COURSE NONE OF YOU MAINSTREAM PLEBS WOULD KNOW ABOUT IT, AND EVEN IF YOU DID KNOW ABOUT IT YOU WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO HEAR IT BECAUSE IT'S TRANSMITTED ON A SPECIAL FREQUENCY THAT ONLY COOL PEOPLE LIKE ME (AND NO ONE ELSE AS FAR AS I KNOW) CAN HEAR.