Bumpersticker Thinking and Social Media...

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
[DISCLAIMER: I know this place is largely not for political discussions. That said, this is more an intellectual discussion. Its premise just happens to have a political angle. If I could think of a decent way to camouflage it, I would. ]

What is it about social media that makes people I know are capable of thinking just turn off their brain and repost whatever dingbat shit they see? I mean, things that stand up to about 3 seconds of reasoning through.

This morning a relative reposted to FB: "Why do people say insurance 'providers'? Insurance companies don't 'provide' anything. They stand in the way between patients and doctors, taking their cut. They should be called 'insurance extortionists.'"

That's an interesting opinion. Let's see if it holds water: Do you *have* to have insurance? I mean, unless The Government makes a law, forcing you to have insurances, which is a relatively new development that is being rolled back as I type this, you're perfectly free to go through life without health insurance. Hell, I've gone most of my life without insurance. Don't have it right now. Of course if you get cancer or have a heart attack or diabeetus--or even something more mundane like having a kid--health insurance comes in handy because it spreads out the risk--and the cost--of these kind of problems across a pool of people. Another way of saying it is "it *provides* a way to distribute the risk of a catastrophic expense across a group." So yeah. Fail and fail. It's OK to not like insurance. It's OK to think it needs reforming and is too expensive. But it most certainly is a "provider" and most certainly is NOT "extortion."

This is another peeve of mine. Words *mean* something. I hate when people use them sloppily or just decide to change a clearly defined meaning to suit their whims. But that's another screed for another time.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
[DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this thread do not reflect the views of Trollkingdom, its parent company, subsidiaries, affiliates, or licensees.]
You always need a disclaimer. [marathon]