Burning programs onto discs/DVDs help

OnyxOverdrive

stealth ninja
Hello

with the constant uncertainty about Pirate Bay etc, I've decided its time to backup my large and expensive programs (eg. photoshop, Dreamweaver, Office) that I have *ahem* 'acquired'. I want to have physical copies.

I know how to burn music onto CDs but I know nothing about burning programs like those onto Discs. I don't even know where to start.

If anyone could lay out a step by step guide on what to do, me would be most grateful.

Thank you

OO

OnyxOverdrive

stealth ninja
5385.imgcache.jpg

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
This is so cute, it's like a thread from 2004 that took 8 years to post!

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Well you can't burn active programs from the Programs folder to disc, they won't work when you try to copy them anywhere else. You can copy the install folders (or compressed files) from your *acquired* programs to disc easily.

Neon's basic method (above) works on older systems; if you stick a blank disc in the drive, you might be able to open it like a window, and simply start dragging folders in it.

If this doesn't work, you could *acquire* a program like Roxio or Nero or Ashampoo Burning Studio. Once installed it will guide you through burning discs of any kinds of files you have.

Do you have a DVD-record drive? Or does it only record CDs and read DVDs? If it records DVDs, check to see if it handles "dual-layer" DVDs. These handle almost twice the volume per disk. A normal DVD holds about 4.7GB of data, while a dual-layer holds up to 8GB. Once you determine which drive you have, you can buy the kind of blank disks that are appropriate.

FBI parte due

Folces Weard
Alternately, spend $100 and get a portable hard drive from Amazon that will hold the equivalent of 200 single-layer DVDs and is also rewritable.

Realtalk, though, it will absolutely never be difficult to find janky-ass pirated copies of Photoshop so long as the internet is still allowed to exist, I guarantee it.

OnyxOverdrive

stealth ninja
Well you can't burn active programs from the Programs folder to disc, they won't work when you try to copy them anywhere else. You can copy the install folders (or compressed files) from your *acquired* programs to disc easily.

Neon's basic method (above) works on older systems; if you stick a blank disc in the drive, you might be able to open it like a window, and simply start dragging folders in it.

If this doesn't work, you could *acquire* a program like Roxio or Nero or Ashampoo Burning Studio. Once installed it will guide you through burning discs of any kinds of files you have.

Do you have a DVD-record drive? Or does it only record CDs and read DVDs? If it records DVDs, check to see if it handles "dual-layer" DVDs. These handle almost twice the volume per disk. A normal DVD holds about 4.7GB of data, while a dual-layer holds up to 8GB. Once you determine which drive you have, you can buy the kind of blank disks that are appropriate.

I only have a laptop at the moment, it has a version of Roxio that probably isn't the best. I'm pretty sure I don't have a DVD record drive either. these two facts make me think the disc way might not be too feasable

Alternately, spend $100 and get a portable hard drive from Amazon that will hold the equivalent of 200 single-layer DVDs and is also rewritable.

Realtalk, though, it will absolutely never be difficult to find janky-ass pirated copies of Photoshop so long as the internet is still allowed to exist, I guarantee it.

that's probably a simpler way to do it actually.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Just buy a 2TB external HDD and back everything up.