Can anyone pronounce Polish last names?

starguard

Unluckiest Charm in the Box
I just saw something on a TV show that really made me chuckle.... :)

If you ever wondered why many polish people have names like Czyrhetsxzski or Povdbetfsvhzin, or some other unusual name that only they can pronounce? If so, here is the reason...

Back during the days of the Roman Empire, the romans made it mandatory that everyone under Roman Rule have a family "or last" name. Many polish people went only by one name only and didnt have (nor want) a name that would identify their entire family. So, when the romans forced them to take a last (or family) name, many of them angrily scribbled down anything that came in mind in protest trying to be sarcastic.

The Romans in turn said "Ok, since you're going to be a smart ass about this, whatever jibberish you wrote down WILL be your last name, a name that you will carry for the REST OF YOUR LIVES whether you like it or not!! :eek:

I was like O.K. :shrug:

Makes me wonder now how an old former boss of mines got the name "Alabamahootnannywingdingding" :hmmm:

Aquehonga

Un Banned
Some Polish names can be difficult to pronounce. Luckily they use the same alphabet we do. Speaking of Poles, pierogies & paczki doughnuts are great!