CAN DATA SMELL?

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Does Data possess a sense of smell?

Dual

RIP Karl 1991-2014
Olfaction is the most primitive of the senses. As Data is better than an organic, he was designed without the ability to smell.

Yub

Anachrophobic
Smell is linked to taste. Data can taste, it is a reasonable assumption to say he can smell.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
After Tasha Yar came to his room, Data smelled of fish.

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
Which episode was it, when they were on the bridge, where he made some offhand comment to Geordi about smelling Deanna's cooch from that distance? I know it was a first season ep.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Some episodes he could smell, some episodes he couldn't smell.

Some episodes he sank in water, some episodes he could be used as a flotation device.

HE IS A BAD SCI=FI WRITER'S WET DREAM!

Yub

Anachrophobic
Data smells what the Rock is cooking, translates it into binary, deciphers its unique chemical signature and then perfects the damn recipe.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
"It is green."

whisky

Boobie inspector
If Data cant smell then Picard wasted a lot of time with his "pull my finger" gags.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
He couldn't smell "Number One", but he always knew when "Number Two" was around.

CaptainWacky

NO GENUINE EXAMPLES OF DATA SMELLING LISTED. CONCLUSION: DATA CAN'T SMELL. END OF LINE.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Data can't smell, but Lore could. He was always crinkling his nose!

Donovan

beer, I want beer
Data can't smell, but Lore could. He was always crinkling his nose!

And then he waould say, "Dude, crack a window next time."

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I bet Data smelled of motor oil and cat pee.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I think he could smell, but could never get an emotional reaction to the smell.

It was probably one of the things he remembered in generations after he got his chip working.

"for fucks sake Riker, that fart you did seven years ago smelled like a dead dog wrapped in month old bacon!"

CaptainWacky

I suppose he DID know that he "hated" Guinan's green alcohol, yeah...

STILL, DIDN'T HAPPEN ON SCREEN.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I suppose he DID know that he "hated" Guinan's green alcohol, yeah...

STILL, DIDN'T HAPPEN ON SCREEN.
See my above "It is green" post, which is not from GEN, but from "Relics" where Data smells the Aldebron whiskey trying to ascertain what it is. And then Scotty gets shitfaced and maudlin.

Archibald Nixon

anti-life coach
Why did Data have to carry around a tricorder, or a phaser? Why didn't he just have them "installed" after joining Starfleet?

whisky

Boobie inspector
That would have made him an inspector gadget rip off, and for that he would have to wait till insurrection.