Dear British boys: keep doing what you're doing

SAUSAGEMAN

Love, SAUSAGEMAN.

Forget homophobia. A new study finds that same-sex lip-locks among straight men are the norm in British universities and high schools.

The trend reflects a move toward a "nicer, softer" ideal of masculinity, study researcher Eric Anderson told LiveScience. Anderson, a sociologist at Bath University in England, reported the findings online Oct. 22 in the journal Archives of Sexual Behavior.

"The mean, gruff, homophobic macho man of the 1980s is dead," Anderson said.

Based on in-depth interviews of 145 British university and high-school students, Anderson and his colleagues discovered that 89 percent had kissed a male heterosexual friend on the lips at some point. A total of 37 percent had engaged in "sustained" kissing with another man, Anderson said. The men all identified as straight, and they didn't see the kisses as sexual.

"These men have lost their homophobia," Anderson said. "They're no longer afraid to be thought gay by their behaviors, and they enjoy intimacy with their friends, just the same as women."

A recent trend

The trend toward male same-sex smooches has skyrocketed in recent years, Anderson said. It began on the professional soccer field, where players often share exuberate kisses after goals. That made kissing between men acceptable for college and high-school players, Anderson said. Then the players took the same behaviors to nights out in pubs, spreading the trend to non-athletes.

Despite stereotypes of the homophobic jock, athletes were more likely to have kissed another man than non-athletes. Just over 80 percent of non-athletes had kissed a man, compared with 95 percent of athletes. [Related: Sex Quiz: Myths, Taboos and Bizarre Facts]

Of the guys in the study who hadn't shared a same-sex kiss, all found the practice acceptable. One student who had never kissed another lad joked with the researchers that when he told his friends about the study, they'd probably ensure that his classification changed. That night, Anderson received a text from the student reading, "I'm in the majority now."

Affection, not sex

Again contrary to stoic male stereotypes, the men in the study reported that they kissed their friends out of affection. One remembered kissing a friend after a meaningful holiday trip. Others compared it to shaking hands.

"I don't want to give the impression that it's like, 'Oh, I love you, mwah,'" Anderson said. "It's like, 'John! Rawr!' More exuberance."

Even extended kisses weren't viewed as sexual, the researchers found. One student recalled kissing his male friend in order to convince two girls to kiss each other, but most of the men interviewed kissed each other for fun.

These longer kisses are often photographed and posted on Facebook and social-networking sites, Anderson said. While they often happen in the context of a night of drinking, the men aren't ashamed of or questioning their sexuality. Nor are they mocking gay behavior, Anderson said. In fact, the practice has made it easier for gay men to display their affection publically.

"It's opened up the same space for gay men to kiss," he said. "Sometimes you see two men kissing and you don't know whether they're straight or gay."

Changing norms

The United Kingdom is less homophobic as a whole than the United States, Anderson said, but Americans should expect acceptance of men kissing on our shores soon enough. Research on American college soccer players suggests that 20 percent of those men have kissed another man, which is a harbinger of the trend, Anderson said.

It's not yet known how the trend of men kissing extends to non-University segments of the British population. Anderson plans to extend the research to minority men and low-income men who aren't in college.

Growing acceptance of same-sex kissing doesn't mean that homophobia is gone, just that masculine ideals are changing, Anderson said. His theory, put forth in his book, "Inclusive Masculinity: The Changing Nature of Masculinities" (Routledge, 2009), is that in times of homophobia, men police their behavior to avoid being seen as gay. When homophobia fades, men can relax and explore behaviors that don't jive with the traditional masculine ideal.

"Decrease in homophobia has positive effects for heterosexual men as well," Anderson said.

It's like, "John, rawr!"

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I definitely feel that these views are more prevalent in the student population, as there's just something about the atmosphere of uni which makes you more open minded. I guess you're more likely to continue mixing with people of different backgrounds into young adulthood, whereas those who go straight into careers or apprenticeships will more or less only interact with fellow people in that field.

Plus, uni students are pretty much always drunk, which really helps.

Gagh

Χριστόφορος
The only thing that could make me feel even 1% gay, is when Eric is on screen during True Blood.

SAUSAGEMAN

So I'm reading the actual study now.

Another student, Matt, highlighted how important emotional intimacy was to him, telling a story about breaking up with his girlfriend. ‘‘I was really lonely,’’ he said. ‘‘Really depressed. So one night I asked my housemate who is one of my best friends if I could sleep in the bed with him. He looked at me, smiled, and said, ‘Come on,’ opening the covers to invite me in.’’ Matt continued,‘‘He kissed me, and then held me. It was nice.... I sent him a text the next day saying, ‘I’ve got the best friend in the world.’'
Harry said, ‘‘No. It’s not just when we’re out. It’s not just because we’re drunk. I probably kiss my housemates [at home] more than I do guys out on the lash [when going out and drinking alcohol].’’ He continued, ‘‘Like, I’ll go into John’s room and maybe he’s lying on his bed reading. I’ll bend over or lie down on top of him and kiss him; just to let him know I care about him.’’
Similarly, Jim recalled that although his first off-the-field social kisses were performed, ‘‘just for banter,’’ lately he has been giving his friends more‘‘endearing kisses’’in non-partying locations.‘‘It is just nice to kiss a mate,’’ he said. Explicating this, Jim illustrated that he and a friend returned from a meaningful holiday together.‘‘We were good friends before,but this trip just brought us together. We shared some real close emotional things and ended up great friends.’’ He added, ‘‘So I looked at him and we just grabbed each other for a big kiss. I guess it was kind of a thank you to each other for making the summer what it was.’’
Discussing his first extended kissing experience, Robin, a hockey player, recalled that he and his friend once tried to pull two women in a club:‘‘We got rejected, so we just turned to each other and started going at it.’’

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Those comments sound like homoerotic fiction you find on certain websites.

I had a guy at the pub once start kissing me for no particular reason. Maybe it was a dare, I don't know, but he was out of my league, so I didn't put up a fuss.

JOHN BARROWMAN

Juggernaut of Saturday nights!
Hollywood casting directors might be ringing my phone off the hook, but nothing compares to the sweet touch of a confused heterosexual British male!

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
When I first saw The History Boys, I was surprised at the casual way all the boys (even the confirmed straights) talked about sucking a cock as if it was just one more common, inevitable thing to try, like smoking a joint.

I like that world. I wish it would move into the rest of the apartments in my building, so I could erect a tollbooth outside my ground-floor apartment that all the tenants would have to go through every day.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Are thse all POSH SCHOOL where they use the new boy's dick as a toast rack?

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Wasn't it written by celebrity gay Alan Bennett? I think it's about as realistically reflective of how much schoolboys want to suck cock as it is of how much they love reading boring old poetry. It's a make-believe world.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Well, almost every movie that takes place in a British prep school for boys seems to have the same theme running through it, so either there's a grain of truth to it, or else the system is designed to churn out one lonely gay boy each term who ends up being a playwright / screenwriter. ;)

whisky

Boobie inspector
Depends how they did the survey, if they asked for students who like kissing other men, its only natural the results would be skewed.

Considering most big universities have 1000s of students, and there are hundreds of universities, 145 is hardly representative.

SAUSAGEMAN

Well, almost every movie that takes place in a British prep school for boys seems to have the same theme running through it, so either there's a grain of truth to it, or else the system is designed to churn out one lonely gay boy each term who ends up being a playwright / screenwriter. ;)

Noted asshole Christopher Hitchens wrote about his prep school experiences.

rji7pk.jpg

1z1qkg5.jpg

whisky

Boobie inspector
I asked a random person if this thread was bullshit, they said yes, based on this sample I am forced to conclude there is a 100% chance this is bullshit.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
WHERE IS THE MAN-LOVE IN HERE?

EVERYBODY PUCKER!

SAUSAGEMAN

I asked a random person if this thread was bullshit, they said yes, based on this sample I am forced to conclude there is a 100% chance this is bullshit.

If it's a random person, then you have a 98% margin of error. If you ask 145 random people, it's 8.13%.

Now, the 145 sample wasn't random - most of it was interviewing entire classes. However, there was a random element of 53 students, good enough for ~13.5% MOE. I wouldn't trust an electoral poll based on that sample, but it's good enough for "guys are making out, like, all over the place".