Did You Turn Out Your Lights For One Hour?

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I did, but it was just a coincidence that it was at 8:30.

Friday

Bazinga!
I closed my eyes for a few seconds while yawning. Does that count?

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I just read about it a few minutes ago. Missed it by about 4 hours.

Oh well. The organizers need better PR next time.

So all the soapboxers have to make up their minds. Are we supposed to evolve into a technology savvy society (which requires more power) or are we supposed to evolve into a hippie crunchy cockroach-kissing society with tiny, tiny carbon feet?

It can't be both until we discover dilithium. (the Trek kind, not the existing kind).

Dr Dave

pillzlol
I think were supposed to wash our clothing with rocks or something.

I think there is a middle ground someplace in there.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Forcing us to buy LCD/Plasma TVs, which use up to 40% more power than CRTs, only seems like a step forward until you think about it.

One step forward, put cash in the Man's pocket, two steps back.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Most of mine are too. Also there's a spare bedroom that I hardly ever go into, so the light stays off in there, and the radiator is closed.

But then, now that I work from home, I have a additional huge computer in my living room with 2 LCD screens, one of which is bigger than my TV.

But it saves my company a bunch of money on midtown Manhattan rent, which enables them to keep all their employees working and establishing a near-paperless office.

Was anything ultimately saved at the end of this long, multi-tentacled equation? Bueller?

curiousa2z

Be patient till the last.
I dunno about other cities but just by turning off the lights in Toronto they saved the amount of energy [something huge]kilowatts to run 300,000 ordinairy homes. eek.

I gotta say, it was cool watching the satellite coverage showing all the lights around the Canadian towns and cities by the Great Lakes go dark. We really do contribute to light pollution...I can't see all the stars even when I'm within a certain radius of my little town any more.
But the idea is more symbolic of how much we consume as western developed societies.

We played rummy for an hour by candlelight - and it was quite disconcerting to make a point of turning off ALL the electrical stuff - my radio, the puter, the TV, - as well as the lights, even if we do use those energy efficient ones. Oh, and we held off doing a load of laundry, too.

I looked around outside on the street and in the yard behind us and everyone had their lights out except the tree-chopping assholes next door to us who of course will not trouble themselves with anything like even making a gesture toward thinking about energy consumption locally and globally...
WE'RE ELECTRICTY VAMPIRES!

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
The lights were off when I was asleep.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
The lights were off when I was asleep.
I made it a point to leave lights on. And of course the furnace is electrically controlled. And there's loads of "vampire" appliances doing nothing but sucking up juice to keep the clock on time, the channels programmed, and the little status light glowing. :techman:

curiousa2z

Be patient till the last.
not to mention my fridge, the pump for the fish aquarium, the deep freezer in our basement....

whisky

Boobie inspector
Overnight downstairs we have the plasma tv that can only go to standby, not off, the skybox, the PS3 and the Wii, the DVD player, two phones, and I guess since the mouse still flashes even when the pc is off, I guess thats using a bit of power too.

Plus of course the fridge, upstairs we have two mains powered clocks, the hard drive recorder for the upstairs TV, Thomas's light stays on all night, and the same for the stair light, oh and another phone, sometimes there might be a mobile phone charging through the night, and rarely there might be a download going on, if not the pc is off through the night.

Our electricity bill isn't huge though, in fact they owe us money.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I turned off everything but the air conditioner when I went to bed.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
NOT GOOD ENOUGH, NOT GOOD ENOUGH DAMN IT.