Eggs, look on the bright side!

Big Dick McGee

If you don't know, now ya know
You'll probably have Joe Torre as your manager next year! There's no way he can fuck things up like Jerry Manuel has.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
The question of Omar Minaya's employment will need to be settled before Jerry Manuel's.

But yeah, lots of bloated free-agent contrats to dump over the winter. But is they trade Wright or Reyes, there will be a full-scale fan revolt.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I am not into baseball, SRSLY, but I was just wondering if it is something unusual for a team like the Rays to be doing so well? My grandma makes me watch the games sometimes.

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
Babe Ruth.

The only answer to give on Trivial Pursuit Baseball questions.

How many strikes to be out?
BABE RUTH
What was the nickname of the boston baiasjksasdjsa
BABE RUTH

Big Dick McGee

I am not into baseball, SRSLY, but I was just wondering if it is something unusual for a team like the Rays to be doing so well? My grandma makes me watch the games sometimes.

No, baseball is pretty well-balanced. There really hasn't been a "dynasty" in 20 years, except for the mini-dynasty of the Yankees in the early 'aughts.

The Phillies will change that; they're going to go to the World Series for the 3rd straight year, and win it like they did in 2008. I fully predict Phillies WS wins in 2010, 2011, and a last-gasp 2014. WORD!

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I can't help but be a little proud of the Rays. They always seem like such underdogs.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I wouldn't call baseball well-balanced. Teams like the 2001 Diamondbacks can spring out of nowhere if the owner feels like buying himself a bunch of veterans in order to win a World Series, and then dumping most of them the following year. Plus the incredible range in team payrolls has gotten out of hand. One hot player's contract on the Yankees, Mets or Phils could equal the entire team payroll of a poor team like the Pirates or A's. Free agency is a runaway train.

http://baseball.about.com/od/newsrumors/a/2010baseballteampayrolls.htm

Big Dick McGee

Well, I agree that teams have the mentality to "win now, dump salary immediately thereafter". With the exception of the Yankees, Red Sox, and now Phillies, most teams who do win definitely dismantle after another year or two. I guess my point is that, unlike the other 3 major sports, there aren't as many repeat champions:

2000: Yankees
2001: Diamondbacks
2002: Angels
2003: Marlins
2004: Red Sox
2005: White Sox
2006: Cardinals
2007: Red Sox
2008: PHILLIES
2009: Yankees

Yeah, the Yanks and Sox won 2 each. But during that same span, the Patriots won 3 Super Bowls, and The Steelers won 2.