Enola Holmes

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Actually looks pretty decent. They sure did seem to show a lot though. I had no intention of watching this film but I think I might now. Seems fun.

Also, Sherlock has never been this buff.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Honestly read that as "Eamonn Holmes."

"Sherlock Holmes has a teenage sister and she's played by the girl from Strager Things" sounds like the set-up for a comedy sketch (I'll watch it.)

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I think I will watch this, too! Looks fun.

CaptainWacky

I wish someone would cast an actual obese Mycroft for once.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Mycroft in the Jeremy Brett series is the more gruff and stout version as described in the books.

(I just wanted an excuse to post a clip of Jeremy as Holmes. I absolute fucking love the series and his potrayal is easily the best Holmes ever IMO)

CaptainWacky

Holmes saying "singular" all the time is really accurate to the original stories too.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Jeremy was obsessed with the character and getting it just right and the series is extremely faithful. It's honestly one of my favourite performances of anything ever. He was unbelivable. I enjoyed the new show a lot with Benedict, thought he was great and the modern spin was pulled off really well, didn't care much for the RDJ films though but am more than ready to see Cavill play the role in this more lighthearted off-canon adaptation (and after seeing a bunch of bitchy men crying about Mary Sue's and hollywood agendas over the trailer --which is utterly ridiculous-- I'm even more interested in seeing it) but Jeremy Brett is the best Holmes and will never be topped. I mean not to put too much of a dramatic spin on it but it's one of those performances that is actually mesmerizing.

CaptainWacky

Benedict was good. The writing went to shit after he was resurrected and they spent a whole episode just making fun of their fans instead of like writing a story. And that finale...

CaptainWacky

I watched Enola Holmes. Did I watch it because Menty started a thread? Probably! I just want to post about things!

The good news: Millie Bobby Brown is really great. She carries the whole movie and it's a really impressive performance from a sixteen year old. She manages to pull of the talking to camera thing which could have been really bad with a lesser actor. She makes the things happening in the movie seem important and that's good because the script needs some help...

So the trailer makes it look like it's all going to be about finding Helena Bonham Carter but it's really not. That mystery doesn't drive the movie AT ALL and is pretty much forgotten about in the second half when another mystery (which gets good in the end but is also isn't all that propulsive) takes over. HBC is hardly in it and I didn't think the resolution to her character was very good at all.

Henry Cavil's Sherlock was pretty disappointing. He just mopes around for most of it and doesn't do anything much you'd associate with the character. You wouldn't know he was meant to be Sherlock Holmes except everyone keeps describing him as "the great detective Sherlock Holmes!" Enola doesn't really do much detective work either (and what she does is very dumbed down for the teen audience.) Really there's no reason it's a Holmes story other than them wanting to use that name for attention! Mycroft has literally none of Mycroft's traits (he's just an outright villain and not even smart.)

But I don't regret watching it thanks to Millie and there were some cute and fun moments, and it is pretty well made and everything, so it certainly wasn't bad and maybe lower your expectations since it's probably meant for young adults/teens okay.

Last edited:

CaptainWacky

Mentalist's favourite movie franchise RETURNS.

CaptainWacky

I watched Enola Holmes 2 because I have no life. It was family-friendly fun! Unfortunately, I don't have a family. But it was perfectly watchable. They tried to tie it in to real life history at the end. Millie was good again and manages to do the talking to the camera thing without it looking stupid. Sherlock got a lot more to do this time and wasn't just moping around so that was good. There were SHOCK REVEALS possibly designed to anger the internet...

Moriarty is a black woman. It was the actress who played Kynes in Dune and she did good here.)

MENTY SHOULD WATCH IT AND WRITE A 80,000 WORD REVIEW.