Facebook

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Someone emailed a Facebook invite to me and I was wondering.. how does Facebook know about other people on Facebook that I might know? Can Facebook read my hotmail contact list even though I don't have a Facebook acct? The message said I might know my sister, Dual, and a couple other people whose email addresses are in my contact list. I CALL SHENANIGANS.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
It asks Brian Blessed.

Seph

Retired Account
perhaps it sugests people with more than a certain amount of friends in common with u or something.

Dual

RIP Karl 1991-2014
Someone emailed a Facebook invite to me and I was wondering.. how does Facebook know about other people on Facebook that I might know? Can Facebook read my hotmail contact list even though I don't have a Facebook acct? The message said I might know my sister, Dual, and a couple other people whose email addresses are in my contact list. I CALL SHENANIGANS.

Join and add me!

Gagh

Χριστόφορος
Sorry, DAN BROWN can't come to the phone right now as he's TRANSCENDED TO ANOTHER PLANE OF EXISTENCE. If you'd like to leave a message, Dan will play it back, make that the first chapter of his next 'novel' and get back to you.

Big Dick McGee

If you don't know, now ya know
Cassie, how come you're not FB friends with me and LG? :(

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Cause I'm not Facebook friends with anyone! I don't have an acct, that was the point of my question, OK? :rwmad: Facebook knows who's in my hotmail contact list somehow! Otherwise, how do they know I know Dual and my sister? TRICKSY BASTARDS.

Big Dick McGee

If you don't know, now ya know
Facebook is the first step to Robot domination of the world's human population. Lady Gaga and Ke$sha are steps 2 and 3.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
One of the steps you can take when you make a Facebook account (or any time thereafter) is to allow the site access to your email contacts so it can check if any of them have profiles. I imagine this is what Dual and your sister did. So... creepily, it's figured out who you have in your contacts list based on your appearance in other peoples'.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
OH.. ok yeah that makes sense! I was afraid they were snooping through my contacts somehow.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
It's kind of worrying, though. Surely this means that when we let it look at our contacts it isn't just a one-off thing. They must be keeping records for future reference as well? And presumably, if they wanted to, they could take a pretty good stab at mapping the social networks of people who are not, as well as the people who are using their site.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I knew Facebook was evil!

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Let's hope they don't get taken over by a not-too-distant-future fascist government!

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
So it's Dual's fault as usual.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
It's kind of worrying, though. Surely this means that when we let it look at our contacts it isn't just a one-off thing. They must be keeping records for future reference as well? And presumably, if they wanted to, they could take a pretty good stab at mapping the social networks of people who are not, as well as the people who are using their site.

There is the option to scan your E-Mail and MSN accounts for contacts but Facebook still needs you to input the password for those accounts to do the search.

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
Well, now I've gotta find Dual as well...