Fuck My Life

Dual

RIP Karl 1991-2014
Ok, so earlier, the toilet got backed up. Tried plunging, no effect. Was away for the afternoon.

Came back, it was overflowing. Very slow leak, seemed to be drying up almost as fast... left it alone.

Went downstairs an hour and a half ago, fucking water leaking through the ceiling twenty feet away from the bathroom, obvious ceiling damage, arrgh. Called a plumber.

Plumber walks in, looks up, says, "Oh shit!"

Plumber fixes the toilet, gives me a number to call, "This is really bad."

htehehq3ahgqernhjgikrejgnmerklg

classichummus

on a break from forums
Wow, that sucks! For future reference, when you are having a problem like that, turn off the water to the toilet. I don't mean to rub it in, I've done the same shit before and learned my lesson the hard way.

Cacophony

lkjewro23piqjur2oijkslfaw e
Yeeeah, that's pretty shitty.

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
That happened to me last weekend, though it was my washing machine rather than the toilet. I had just started a load of clothes and was watching the football game, then all the sudden I hear dripping in my kitchen. My sink and dishwasher are overflowing, and oh, by the way...my sink is clogged so now the water won't go down. Fun fucking times.

I feel your pain, Dual!

Yub

Anachrophobic
Turning off the wayer would have been the first thing I did. But that's common sense for me. Those water damage guys are gonna rape your wallet.

Sorry guy. Sucks to be you.

curiousa2z

Be patient till the last.
Dual, we had a similar thing this past December,(a slow, undetected leak - but the end result was the same) as if there isnt enough cash outlay then.
*sigh* ...will re-do the ceiling plaster in the spring; right now i haven't the heart for it.....
Not gonna mention the cost; you're depressed enough. But I feel for ya!

Big Dick McGee

If you don't know, now ya know
Check with your homeowner's insurance, they should cover some of it.

Seph

Retired Account
unless they are CUNTS!

Dual

RIP Karl 1991-2014
Thanks for the support, everybody - I'm such a retard, I should've turned off the water. Unfortunately, I'm renting, and don't have homeowner's insurance, but I'm seeing if the landlady's will help cover it.

The water damage guys popped the bubbles in the ceiling and set up fans and dehumidifiers to dry out the floors. Today, they're going to come and "cut the carpet," which isn't so bad, all things considered. It was already stained and burnt to the point that I needed to replace it, so that loss isn't as bad as it could've been.

But, oh god, having the ceiling torn out and replaced - that's going to be raw, unadulterated shit.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
It's a pile of shite is what it is.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
If you're renting, the bills should totally be the landlord's problem. Unless they can prove you deliberately caused the flood by stuffing dozens of bags of cocaine down the toilet in a panic when the doorbell rang unexpectedly.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
yeah those should be the landlord's problem. And for the record, all plumbers tell you it's bad. That's how they make their money.

curiousa2z

Be patient till the last.
^yeah - I was chatting about our ceiling bubbles (we look at them whilst we dine every freaking night as they're in the dining room) with a friend of mine who is a landlady - she said, and I quote: "WTF? that's not the renter's problem!"
but we're in Canada....is it different for each State?