Gab/Dissenter

The Question

Eternal
This is more of a, "The More You Know" kind of thing than a "Staff! Nnnnrrrrgh! Dooooo something about this!" kind of thing -- principally because there's nothing the staff can do about this.

Since at least as far back as July of last year, there has existed an independently-hosted social media service which operates "over the top of" existing web sites, known as Dissenter. Originally existing as a third-party browser extension, now embodied in a browser of its own forked off of the code for the Brave browser, both running on Chromium Webkit under the hood, Dissenter allows its users to add comments on any web page, outside the control of that page's admins/moderators.

There are a few "Dissented" threads here on TK, and half a dozen on WF. And not one staff member for either site can do a damn thing about any of them.

Just so you all know. :)

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
oh cool, what threads?

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member

If you have the Dissenter browser or plug in you can see the comments that are left on any url, but they don't show up on the website you are commenting on, you have to log into your Gab acct. It's a pretty cool browser, privacy, blocks ads, and you can customize it.

The Question

Eternal
Yes'm. It can use Chrome themes and extensions as well; kinda ironic since it was Chrome's blocking of the Dissenter extension from their webstore that was the catalyst for development of the browser. lulz

EDIT: Just watching the video mentioning that now. Oh, well. :joker:

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Firefox blocked it too.

The Question

Eternal
So did Apple. I remember having to use the dev menu in Safari to sideload it on there.

The Question

Eternal
I just realized the perfect way to explain Gab to TKers. It's the old TK, as a polished social media platform.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I've been on the Fediverse since last year, on a server that federates with Gab.

BROWNFOOT

Da fuk? DE senter? Aint dat like stuff takes da stanch out ya fabrix n shit?