Goodbye golden girl

whisky

Boobie inspector
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8018858.stm

The death of popular actress Bea Arthur, who starred in the US television sitcom The Golden Girls, has been reported in Los Angeles.

Arthur, who played Dorothy Zbornak to the late Estelle Getty's Sophia Petrillo, died at home of cancer at the age of 86, a family spokesman said.

She was also famous for the sitcom Maude, first creating the character in the comedy series All In The Family.

Arthur also won an Emmy Award for the musical Mame.

Gagh

Χριστόφορος
You do know that this is clearly a hoax, as everyone knows that when Nuclear Armageddon arrives, only the Cockroaches & Bea Arthur will be left.

Sad, but she has led a full life, so FAREWELL AND GOD SPEED!

whisky

Boobie inspector
I was thinking they will probably remake golden girls with younger actresses, but then I remembered, they already did and called it sex in the city.

Gonad

DON'T FUCK WITH MY TITLE BITCH
Damn it, I missed this post and duplicated your efforts. Per my other post:

Lots of wonderful work.

Now will Hasbro finally make that Ackmena figure? I need it to round out my Cantina. After all, Wurher can't tend the bar 24/7.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Well that's a shame. The other Gold Girls (there are two left, aren't there?) must be bricking it.

Holy crap, couldn't they have found a nicer picture of her to start that article with?

curiousa2z

Be patient till the last.
What a great old broad. Hope she had as much fun thinking up those shenanigans as I did watching them.
Wherever ya are darling, break a leg!

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
You do know that this is clearly a hoax, as everyone knows that when Nuclear Armageddon arrives, only the Cockroaches & Bea Arthur will be left.
This is how I know you're straight and will always be so. It's cockroaches and CHER. Silly billy!

Of course, I'm a pretty bad gay man myself, since I prefer Bea in Maude to Bea in The Golden Girls. All the gays LOVE watching The Golden Girls. At least they did when it was on Lifetime. Now it's on The Hallmark Channel, which makes it smell funny...

She had a great run, and no regrets. She knew how to make great comedy, and she knew when to leave before a hit show jumped the shark. I wish I had seen her one-woman Broadway show 7 years ago; it was running around the same time as Elaine Stritch's show, so it kind of took a back seat to that while it ran.

From her song in Mame:

I have a little secret I'd like to impart.
That I hope doesn't give you too much of a start;
Tho' it's shocking, it's completely true.

I know it isn't gossip, or rumor, of course,
For I've had it from quite a reliable source
And I'd like to pass it on to you.

The man in the moon is a lady,
A lady in lipstick and curls;
The cow that jumped over cried,
"Jumpin' Jehovah,
I think it's just one of the girls."

She winks at the stars from her bed of green cheese,
That isn't a night-gown,
It's a Saturn chemise.
Oh, her friends are the stars and the planets,
She sends the Big Dipper a kiss;
So don't ever offend her,
Remember her gender,
The man in the moon is a miss.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
[YOUTUBE]RzXKySxPFCI[/YOUTUBE]

I take exception to the naming of the clip: Bea Arthur was a Broadway musical star long before she was a TV success, so it's not a shock that she sang here.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
:(

Lady Godiva was a freedom rider
She didn't care if the whole world looked.
Joan of Arc with the Lord to guide her
She was a sister who really cooked.

Isadora was the first bra burner
And you're glad she showed up. (Oh yeah)
And when the country was falling apart
Betsy Ross got it all sewed up.

And then there's Maude.
And then there's Maude.
And then there's Maude.
And then there's Maude.
And then there's Maude.
And then there's Maude.
And then there's

That old compromising, enterprising, anything but tranquilizing,
Right on Maude.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Her death exists in the shadow of new life.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Well that's a shame. The other Gold Girls (there are two left, aren't there?) must be bricking it.

Holy crap, couldn't they have found a nicer picture of her to start that article with?

I thought she was the first one to die, who else has gone?

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Estelle Getty (Sophia) died last year. She was actually a year younger than Bea Arthur even though she was playing her mother.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Y'know I was never that terribly into Bea Arthur. Dad hated "Maude" and "The Golden Girls" really wasn't my demographic. And I pretty much have forgotten her bit in the "Star Wars Christmas Special". IIRC she was very good in "Mame". Still, she didn't seem like a bad person, so RIP.

CaptainWacky

Remember that crappy Golden Girls spin-off with Alexi Sayle in it?

(Well, I assume it was crappy since I can't remember anything else about it.)

whisky

Boobie inspector
Yeah I remember the show, but I think I stopped watching before Alexi Sayle came into it.

I wonder why I missed Estelle Getty dying, maybe it was when I was on holiday.

CaptainWacky

Maybe it was when you were in a coma.

I still think the Jeff Ross roast quote with her was classic (mostly her reaction shot).

Seriously a national tragedy, one of the only really, truly beloved tv figures we had.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Betty White has been making guest appearances on lots of shows, and had a recurring role on Boston Legal. She's not dead yet!