Hockey (International) -- News

MODMAN

f9oixcvd9zzhda8hk9q0a29mw.gif
HOCKEYONE: CHILL WOMEN QUALIFY AS HC MELBOURNE MEN DO THEIR BIT

Canberra Chill has secured the last women’s finals spot, while HC Melbourne Men did what they needed to do to give themselves every chance of progressing to the Main Event on a dramatic night of the JDH Hockey One League.

HC Melbourne Men’s finals dream is well and truly alive after they withstood Canberra Chill 4-2 in an entertaining affair.

All four of HC Melbourne Men’s goals came in eight minutes of game time as they leapfrogged the Tassie Tigers into third spot with the win. Their path to the finals will be secured if Adelaide Fire or the Perth Thundersticks lose outright.

Then in the battle for all-important fourth spot on the women’s standings, Canberra Chill
edged out the hosts 2-1 to book their semi final berth.

The Chill join the Perth Thundersticks, Brisbane Blaze and NSW Pride as the four finalists.

Click here for full story

MODMAN

INDIA: ‘IT IS AN OUTCOME OF TEAMWORK,’ SAYS SAVITA AT BEING NOMINATED FOR THE FIH WOMEN’S GOALKEEPER OF THE YEAR AWARD 2023

~Savita has won the FIH Women’s Goalkeeper of the Year Award for two consecutive times~

Bengaluru, 20th November 2023: Indian Women’s Hockey Team Goalkeeper Savita, who won the FIH Goalkeeper of the Year Awards in 2021 and 2022, has been nominated for the third consecutive time in the same category at this year’s FIH Hockey Stars Awards.

Expressing her joy at being nominated for the FIH Women’s Goalkeeper of the Year Award 2023, Savita said, “I never thought I would win this award for two straight years, and get nominated yet again. I feel really great, and it’s a proud moment for me, my family and my teammates as well. When I started playing, I never thought I would come this far, and it is all due to the support of my family and my teammates.”

“In team sport, no achievement is based on individual efforts but is an outcome of teamwork. It’s great to be recognised for your hard work, and it motivates the entire team,” she added.

MODMAN

PANAM GAMES 23: LEONAS DEFEND PAN AM TITLE, BOOK TICKET TO PARIS IN THRILLER AGAINST USA

Everything was on the line and neither team held back but Argentina clung to a fourth-quarter goal to win 2-1 over the USA to take home their eighth Pan American gold medal and, ultimately, punch their ticket to the Paris 2024 Olympic Games. The USA pulled their goalie with three minutes to go and even earned two penalty corners but could not find a way to tie the game.

It was a feisty affair that saw the USA defence shine from start to finish and while Argentina owned the lion’s share of the possession, they were not generating the precision scoring chances that they are known for. The Leonas had 10 penalty corners, to the USA’s two and it was one fortunate quick break that led to the USA penalty stroke to tie the game 1-1.

Alexandra Hammel, Ashley Hoffman and Beth Yeager were superb in the backfield with Meredith Sholder quarter-backing the USA midfield.