Horror story idea.

The Question

Eternal
How would you all like to see a horror story where the monster isn't really the monster? Where the traditional "monsters" are actually the victims? Where the "bad guy" is actually something that's hunting down and destroying guys like Freddy, Jason, Michael Myers, et cetera?

Tyrant

Ever see 'Frailty' ?

Tyrant

Bill Paxton flick. You must see it. It describes what you mean there perfectly.

If you want to start even a short horror story in that vein, I strongly suggest watching it.

The Question

Eternal
^^Okay, I did an IMBD search, but that's not exactly the story I mean. I mean a story that takes at face value the whole supernatural slasher fic thing, literally with Freddy, Jason, the Cenobites and the other supernatural type horror icons and then makes them the victims of a supernatural thing that's actually even worse than them.

Tyrant

It has potential.

Some sort of monster that feeds on them.... OK, the Cenobites and Freddy and any other beings which seem to be omniscient at times would have to be the ones that try to mobilize a defence against it. Mindless creatures like Jason would really serve as nothing but meat tanks and eventual victims.

Personally I'm imagining some sort of semi-conscious entity which has no real purpose but to fulfill it's hungers or whatever (These are all very basic, skeletal suggestions.) Maybe it's a composite entity created by the dying anguish of all their victims? Stranger things have happened in those films.

You could put in some interesting dialogue I think.... that Freddy and the others only really did what they did because they felt safe in doing it, but now they can't go back. Or something.

If there would be a human in the story, it would be more in the form of an observer of sorts.

You would also have to carefully design your universe. Do all the villains occupy the same earth? That's one fucked up reality.

Too bad 'Lord of Illusions' isn't that popular. I would love to see the horror villains and Nix go at it. :mrgreen:

The Question

Eternal
Actually, I'm thinking Azrael. It occurs to me that if all these universes allow for the supernatural, then where has God been during all the events in these films? Azrael (the "Angel of Death") being God's hit-man, and all these monsters having gone around slaughtering innocents, maybe God has finally put out a hit on 'em. The problem comes in when Azrael goes too far, though, maybe gets a liking for it. Maybe that'll be the moral of the story, is that we humans need some monsters to keep us from going too far toward becoming them.

Blindgroping

U mad 'bro?
Ever see Freddy bs. Jason?
Stupid, but amusing.

Oops, sorry, "vs."

Tyrant

The Question said:
Actually, I'm thinking Azrael. It occurs to me that if all these universes allow for the supernatural, then where has God been during all the events in these films? Azrael (the "Angel of Death") being God's hit-man, and all these monsters having gone around slaughtering innocents, maybe God has finally put out a hit on 'em. The problem comes in when Azrael goes too far, though, maybe gets a liking for it. Maybe that'll be the moral of the story, is that we humans need some monsters to keep us from going too far toward becoming them.
I would personally prefer an evil vs. evil, dog eat dog scenario where the monster is to the film creatures what the film creatures are to the fodder. But either way, it has potential.

But as to the inclusion of God here.... he didn't stop so much of the bloodshed in the earlier films. Perhaps one of the film horrors went TOO far, or would upset some sort of balance too much for God to allow? God allowed humans to test their mettle in the earlier ordeals/films.

The Question

Eternal
Messenger said:
I would personally prefer an evil vs. evil, dog eat dog scenario where the monster is to the film creatures what the film creatures are to the fodder. But either way, it has potential.

Yeah, I think it's much like that -- "Good Gone Evil vs. Evil" -- but yeah, it would play just like a regular horror movie, except with the monsters (doing their distinctive things, of course) suddenly finding themselves the victims.

But as to the inclusion of God here.... he didn't stop so much of the bloodshed in the earlier films. Perhaps one of the film horrors went TOO far, or would upset some sort of balance too much for God to allow? God allowed humans to test their mettle in the earlier ordeals/films.

Yeah, I don't remember ever seeing a movie where a supernatural force for good stepped in to stop the supernatural evil. I actually got the idea when "Final Destination" came on Sci-Fi last night and I found myself wondering what might have played out had something forcibly corporealized "Death" and just whipped the ever-lovin' shiat out of it.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
There are variations on this theme in movies, but on a limited scale. King Kong is an obvious one, as the New Yorkers are really the villains of the flick. Frankenstein is another as the monster is persecuted by angry villagers but the real sinner is Victor Frankenstein. Take out the accidental drowning and the monster is very sympathetic.

I think one of those CGI movies did it too, with Vampires hunting werewolves or some such. Underworld, maybe? Interview with a Vampire was vamps killing vamps. The Crow has Human villains against a heroic angel of death/Ghost.

Finally, I just saw a comic book ad and preview that casts a newly-returned Jesus in a post-apocalyptic world, hunting down surviving vampires as a kind of Holy Game Show Host guy. The vamps appear to be cast as the heros of the piece...

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Daniel...watch "copycat" with sigourney weaver. Then extrapolate to your idea.

Neil

Out of the closet
A great idea, TQ, with lots of potential.

I love knocking evil down a peg... I love showing the mundane and commonplace aspects of evil... showing what these guys are like/doing when they're not being overly-dramatic and siloloquizing their impossible plans for being and motivations for doing.

I like to think about Hitler making himself a cup of coffee in the morning, newspapaer tucked under his arm... I like thinking about Pinhead brushing his teeth and making faces at himself in the mirror... Dracula taking a lint brush to his cape and noticing some loose threading... And just what does Freddy do when he's off the clock? I like thinking of these characters as real "people" with the same needs, routines and fears we all have, just amped up to a supernatural degree.

What is that that drives these characters, their motivations? What is it they're afraid of? And as was brought up before, why is God (or whatever agency that maintains the balance in these situations) just getting involved now?

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Hitler was never "off the clock"

The Question

Eternal
Sure he was! I bet every time he got up in the morning, he wandered into the bathroom all barefoot, took a shower, brushed his teeth, whistling a cheery little tune the whole time, then opened up his closet, sighed, slumped a little looking at his swastika'd-up threads and muttered, "Vell... beck to zee alte grindstone..."