i don' thave any opinions

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
it's gotten that badl lol
--CONTENT GOES HERE (static)--

Trek Nation TrekToday 'Enterprise' Episode Guide The Trek BBS

Also a CSI: Crime Scene Investigations fan? Then visit CSIFiles.com!

The Trek BBS

Welcome Starscream. [Logout] Main Index · My Home · Search · Active Topics
Who's Online · FAQ · Calendar · Mark All Read · Become A Premium Member

Main Bridge >> Voyager Previous Index Next Threaded

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

Guy Gardener
Rear Admiral

Loc: In the lap of squalor I assure... The Borg Assimilation of Ocampa.
#5757037 - 14/03/2006 09:19 Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

The Borg were inside Voyagers computer enough to know a couple things. The incredible Caretaker technology that is reasonably unprotected on Ocampa even as it is under siege of the Kazon and how useless a drone is that only lasts for 9 years would be especially if they could develope mental abilitys that could overwhelm and wreck the hive mind...

My only conclusion is C0-Habitation! The Borg would want the technology yet have no interest in assimilating the Ocampa so as to leave them alone if the Ocampa took no bearing agaist the Borg just like they consented to blissfully stay underfoot of the Cartaker for possibly a thousand years... And just like the Borg allow armed Federation Officers to run about their cubes.

Rememebr there are some species they will not assimilate as it will deminish their perfection.

--------------------
"I think Trip's full of dark, ambiguous stuff."

Conner Trinneer.

Post Extras:

exodus
Vice Admiral

Loc: Under the Milkyway tonight Re: The Borg Assimilation of Ocampa. [Re: Guy Gardener]
#5757441 - 14/03/2006 14:05 Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

What Caretaker technology?

The array was destroyed and whatever technology the Ocampa had couldn't be much different than they had when they lived on the surface. They couldn't get technology from the Caretaker because they never met him. He was the equavent of what God is to us, possably present but never seen.

The Borg have existed for over a thousand years, way before the Ocampia went underground. The Borg are aware of the Ocampa, they just aren't interested.

--------------------
With all my prisons blown to dust, my enemies walk free.

Post Extras:

USS KG5
Rear Admiral

Loc: England's green and pleasant l... Re: The Borg Assimilation of Ocampa. [Re: Guy Gardener]
#5757444 - 14/03/2006 14:06 Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

I dont think the truly impressive technology was on Ocampa but on the array Voyager so thoroughly vapourised. The Borg probably would be interested in the Ocampa but not interested enough to travel all that way to assimilate them...yet...

--------------------
Just saw "Pegasus" on Sky and it's just more evidence that nuBSG is the best sci-fi TV show EVER.

Post Extras:

Akiraprise
Frakin' Mod

Loc: AKA: USS_Akiraprise Re: The Borg Assimilation of Ocampa. [Re: USS KG5]
#5758224 - 14/03/2006 17:28 Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

If the Borg happened to be passing by and needed some resources they would assimilate the Ocampa. Once assimilated they would last for nearly ever. The technology would sustain them.

--------------------
When diplomacy fails there's only one alternative.
Violence.
Force must be applied without apology.
It's the Starfleet way.

Post Extras:

Udat
Rear Admiral

Re: The Borg Assimilation of Ocampa. [Re: Akiraprise]
#5759069 - 14/03/2006 20:19 Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Why would the borg want a to assimilate a species that only lives for nine years?

--------------------
It'd be a terrific innovation if you could get your mind to stretch a little further than the next wisecrack. (Katherine Hepburn)
NN28

Post Extras:

Akiraprise
Frakin' Mod

Loc: AKA: USS_Akiraprise Re: The Borg Assimilation of Ocampa. [Re: Udat]
#5759127 - 14/03/2006 20:25 Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Borg technology would make them nearly immortal. We've seen it with Seven's parents. They didn't look like they aged at all since they were assimilated.

--------------------
Violence.
It's the Starfleet way.

Post Extras:

exodus
Vice Admiral

Loc: Under the Milkyway tonight Re: The Borg Assimilation of Ocampa. [Re: Udat]
#5759133 - 14/03/2006 20:25 Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Udat said:
Why would the borg want a to assimilate a species that only lives for nine years?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They wouldn't, which is why the Ocampa are safe from the Borg I would think.

They have absolutely nothing to offer the Borg to achieve their goal of ultimate perfection.

--------------------

Edited by exodus (14/03/2006 20:27)

Post Extras:

od0_ital
Just Another Naked Mod

Loc: Austin, Texas Re: The Borg Assimilation of Ocampa. [Re: exodus]
#5759517 - 14/03/2006 21:44 Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Other than telepathic abilities they didn't use anymore, the Ocampa really have nothing to offer.

But, if lifespan factored into Borg assimilation math, their main Federation target would be Vulcan, not Earth.

--------------------
Star Trek: Voyager 'Persistance of Vision' Avatar Contest

- od0's Bucket -

Post Extras:

Guy Gardener
Rear Admiral

Loc: In the lap of squalor I assure... Re: The Borg Assimilation of Ocampa. [Re: exodus]
#5759525 - 14/03/2006 21:46 Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Quote:

exodus said:

The array was destroyed and whatever technology the Ocampa had couldn't be much different than they had when they lived on the surface. They couldn't get technology from the Caretaker because they never met him. He was the equavent of what God is to us, possably present but never seen.

The Borg have existed for over a thousand years, way before the Ocampia went underground. The Borg are aware of the Ocampa, they just aren't interested.

Lets see, there's the collector that reiceved the energy from the array(which may have been what the Caretaker was shooting at to seal up the Ocampa in their underground city?) The power Distribution sytems that fed the caretakers energy from the collection point through to ever convienience and appliance. The force field which acts as a cloak. Then peronally i had always assumed that the Caretakers (All of them before they left.) had built the underground city capable of sustaining their culture after the complete collapse of their ecology because relative time scales here, how long would man survive if suddenly all the water omnn the planet became undrinkable? A day? Three before it turned into mad max?

Regardless after a thousand years of looking after them with no end in sight but death wich banjo man was taking means to get around by raping the crews of starships you don't think it's possible that he would have upgraded just about everything in that city to make thelives of his pets who he didn't trust squat to look after or maintain their own lives just a little easier... If he knew how to make a better hamster wheel he wasn't goiing to reneg on the subtle present after unforgivably destroying their homeworld. After one thousand years of living at the pleasure of the caretaker and not having the infrastructure to replace anything worn down just about everything on that planet would be caretaker technology.

**Sigh**

However after writing this post I recalled the Federation colonies along side the neutral Zone from The Best of Both Worlds that were just gouged at and sucked into space leaving huge crators where cities used to be.

--------------------

Conner Trinneer.

Post Extras:

Guy Gardener
Rear Admiral

Loc: In the lap of squalor I assure... Re: The Borg Assimilation of Ocampa. [Re: od0_ital]
#5759549 - 14/03/2006 21:51 Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Quote:

od0_ital said:
Other than telepathic abilities they didn't use anymore, the Ocampa really have nothing to offer.

But, if lifespan factored into Borg assimilation math, their main Federation target would be Vulcan, not Earth.

Which would exlpain the early conquest of Eloria hundreds of years ago before Yoyager's adventures.

--------------------

Conner Trinneer.

Post Extras:

exodus
Vice Admiral

Loc: Under the Milkyway tonight Re: The Borg Assimilation of Ocampa. [Re: Guy Gardener]
#5759652 - 14/03/2006 22:13 Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Quote:

Guy Gardener said:

Quote:

exodus said:

Lets see, there's the collector that reiceved the energy from the array(which may have been what the Caretaker was shooting at to seal up the Ocampa in their underground city?) The power Distribution sytems that fed the caretakers energy from the collection point through to ever convienience and appliance. The force field which acts as a cloak. Then peronally i had always assumed that the Caretakers (All of them before they left.) had built the underground city capable of sustaining their culture after the complete collapse of their ecology because relative time scales here, how long would man survive if suddenly all the water omnn the planet became undrinkable? A day? Three before it turned into mad max?

Regardless after a thousand years of looking after them with no end in sight but death wich banjo man was taking means to get around by raping the crews of starships you don't think it's possible that he would have upgraded just about everything in that city to make thelives of his pets who he didn't trust squat to look after or maintain their own lives just a little easier... If he knew how to make a better hamster wheel he wasn't goiing to reneg on the subtle present after unforgivably destroying their homeworld. After one thousand years of living at the pleasure of the caretaker and not having the infrastructure to replace anything worn down just about everything on that planet would be caretaker technology.

**Sigh**

However after writing this post I recalled the Federation colonies along side the neutral Zone from The Best of Both Worlds that were just gouged at and sucked into space leaving huge crators where cities used to be.

Do we need God's help to improve our own technology? So why would we believe the Caretaker whom the Ocampa had never seen provide technology for them? The Ocampa weren't idiots before the Caretaker arrived, why would they be once they had to change their living arrangements?

People live in the Sahara or in the subway tunnels of New York City and survive without help from anybody muchless any "Caretaker". The will to adapt & survive on ones own is one of the strongest gifts mankind has. The Ocampa were docile but they weren't helpless morons.

--------------------

Post Extras:

Guy Gardener
Rear Admiral

Loc: In the lap of squalor I assure... Re: The Borg Assimilation of Ocampa. [Re: exodus]
#5759925 - 14/03/2006 23:14 Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

They were too helpless morons.

These were not the Ocampa who ran a planet and commanded their destiny only to be fragged by wandering space gods. This was 500 generations later of their care being taken care of by a taker of care. Janeway had to give a speach about teaching people to fish rather than giving them fish, and letting the Ocampa stand on their own two feet to banjoman and he's mouthing off about how they're children who can't look after themselves. He didn't trust them to wipe their own asses.

Sure they had potential, but they also had no opportunity.

Now lets just thnk about this... A buch of people who say they only live for NINE years, the oldest of these people who the Voyager crew met during caretaker was what maybe 6 years old(Making the parents 9 or dead and the grand parents three years dead.)? When a 6 year old talks about how they've never seen something throughout the entire duration of their emmense life time that stretches back so unimaginairily far... do you really take such a commment seriously from the ppresective of your own life experiences? The caretaker was at least a thousand years old and possibly multiples of that years old and a freaking shape shifter and could have easily had the place wired for sight and sound. If he hadn't physically visited in 20 years because he was busy noticing that he's dying and has to find a relacement, what it that 7 or 8 generations? Which by our standards would be like know about if God turned up in the 19th century? Church of Mormon?

If god does his job right you don't even know he's done anything at all.

--------------------

Conner Trinneer.

Post Extras:

exodus
Vice Admiral

#5759992 - 14/03/2006 23:27 Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Quote:

Guy Gardener said:
They were too helpless morons.

These were not the Ocampa who ran a planet and commanded their destiny only to be fragged by wandering space gods. This was 500 generations later of their care being taken care of by a taker of care. Janeway had to give a speach about teaching people to fish rather than giving them fish, and letting the Ocampa stand on their own two feet to banjoman and he's mouthing off about how they're children who can't look after themselves. He didn't trust them to wipe their own asses.

Sure they had potential, but they also had no opportunity.

Now lets just thnk about this... A buch of people who say they only live for NINE years, the oldest of these people who the Voyager crew met during caretaker was what maybe 6 years old(Making the parents 9 or dead and the grand parents three years dead.)? When a 6 year old talks about how they've never seen something throughout the entire duration of their emmense life time that stretches back so unimaginairily far... do you really take such a commment seriously from the ppresective of your own life experiences? The caretaker was at least a thousand years old and possibly multiples of that years old and a freaking shape shifter and could have easily had the place wired for sight and sound. If he hadn't physically visited in 20 years because he was busy noticing that he's dying and has to find a relacement, what it that 7 or 8 generations? Which by our standards would be like know about if God turned up in the 19th century? Church of Mormon?

If god does his job right you don't even know he's done anything at all.

You idea has one flaw, recorded history. Doesn't matter how many years have passed between Ocampan generations, recorded history of those before still exists. Even verbal history amoung families takes place. The only time such history from our modern world was erased was during African-American slavery. Kes knew her peoples history well, even facts that had become myth she was aware of.

As far as the Caretakers view of the Ocampa: "God is a kid with an ant farm." Ants don't need help, they're one of the most efficient species we know but I human view of the ant world leads us to believe ants are small and helpless.

--------------------

Post Extras:

Guy Gardener
Rear Admiral

#5760216 - 15/03/2006 00:01 Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Hmm. That's a good point.

However she's talking about the "Myth" of their telepathic abilities from most certainly a time where history could have been recorded technically unless the ocampa were not so advanced as we think when the Caretakers destroyed their world that any history before that point was not a fact?

--------------------

Conner Trinneer.

Post Extras:

exodus
Vice Admiral

#5763411 - 15/03/2006 13:53 Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Quote:

Guy Gardener said:
Hmm. That's a good point.

However she's talking about the "Myth" of their telepathic abilities from most certainly a time where history could have been recorded technically unless the ocampa were not so advanced as we think when the Caretakers destroyed their world that any history before that point was not a fact?

Maybe but even in our own history such events from the distant past are seen in a fictional way. May still believe that Lincoln freeing slaves wasn't a political move to increase the number of soldiers to fight in the Civil War but rather a move of humanity or the fact we believe the myth no President owned slaves. Not to mention Washington crossing the Delaware is seen as if he's crossing some great ocean and not some river you could throw a rock across and hit the tree on the other side.

Facts become twisted fiction in many ways over time.

Edited by exodus (15/03/2006 13:54)

Post Extras:

Udat
Rear Admiral

Re: The Borg Assimilation of Ocampa. [Re: od0_ital]
#5764830 - 15/03/2006 19:18 Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Quote:

od0_ital said:

But age span would be one of several aspects the borg would take into consideration.....

--------------------
It'd be a terrific innovation if you could get your mind to stretch a little further than the next wisecrack. (Katherine Hepburn)
NN28

Post Extras:

exodus
Vice Admiral

Loc: Under the Milkyway tonight Re: The Borg Assimilation of Ocampa. [Re: Udat]
#5764921 - 15/03/2006 19:37 Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Quote:

Udat said:

Quote:

od0_ital said:

But age span would be one of several aspects the borg would take into consideration.....

Well to answer that.

Borg die anyway being that they are still partly organic, what would be important is the knowledge that each species adds to the collective.

If you remember Seven said each species the Borg assimilate adds to the knowledge of the collective and remains within it even after that beings time has expired. Too them it's a way of staying immortal.

The reason why the Ocampa would be useless to the Borg is that they have no knowledge or technology that would improve the collective. The Borg don't assimilate just anybody, only those they deem equal or superior. The Borg covet Federation technology because we are their equals because we are also thousands of worlds brought together in an amalgam of knowledge & technology. That is why the Borg can't defeat us and we can't destroy them, we are opposite sides of the same coin.

--------------------

Edited by exodus (15/03/2006 19:40)

Post Extras:

Akiraprise
Frakin' Mod

Loc: AKA: USS_Akiraprise Re: The Borg Assimilation of Ocampa. [Re: exodus]
#5765255 - 15/03/2006 20:34 Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Well, if they would send more then one cube at a time they might have a chance. Of course there wouldn't be much point in having a Star Trek show if the Federation was assimilated. Star Trek Borg would be too dark in tone everyone would say.

--------------------
Violence.
It's the Starfleet way.

Post Extras:

exodus
Vice Admiral

Loc: Under the Milkyway tonight Re: The Borg Assimilation of Ocampa. [Re: Akiraprise]
#5765279 - 15/03/2006 20:38 Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Quote:

Akiraprise said:
Well, if they would send more then one cube at a time they might have a chance. Of course there wouldn't be much point in having a Star Trek show if the Federation was assimilated. Star Trek Borg would be too dark in tone everyone would say.

...or the show is badly written because they all say the samething all the time.

--------------------

Post Extras:

Akiraprise
Frakin' Mod

#5765320 - 15/03/2006 20:45 Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Hey, here's an idea now. All they would have to do is hire one person to be the queen or Locutus clone. Then all the rest could be no name extras. Talk about money saving potential. Hire a few aliens of the week to offer some pathetic resistance, some "kool" explosions, and we've got ourselves a show.

--------------------
Violence.
It's the Starfleet way.

Post Extras:

od0_ital
Just Another Naked Mod

Loc: Austin, Texas Re: The Borg Assimilation of Ocampa. [Re: Akiraprise]
#5766722 - 16/03/2006 01:14 Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

^

That would get old after awhile, though.

--------------------
Star Trek: Voyager 'Persistance of Vision' Avatar Contest

- od0's Bucket -

Post Extras:

Akiraprise
Frakin' Mod

Loc: AKA: USS_Akiraprise Re: The Borg Assimilation of Ocampa. [Re: od0_ital]
#5766845 - 16/03/2006 01:40 Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Now what would get old about the Borg assimilating everyone.

--------------------
Violence.
It's the Starfleet way.

Post Extras:

exodus
Vice Admiral

Loc: Under the Milkyway tonight Re: The Borg Assimilation of Ocampa. [Re: Akiraprise]
#5768590 - 16/03/2006 13:53 Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Quote:

Akiraprise said:
Now what would get old about the Borg assimilating everyone.

All that screaming.

--------------------

Post Extras:

Akiraprise
Frakin' Mod

#5769280 - 16/03/2006 17:22 Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Yeah, the Borg aren't all that big into anesthetics.

--------------------
Violence.
It's the Starfleet way.

Post Extras:

exodus
Vice Admiral

#5769295 - 16/03/2006 17:25 Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Quote:

Akiraprise said:
Yeah, the Borg aren't all that big into anesthetics.

"WE ARE THE BORG, SCREAMING IS IRRELEVANT! YOU MUST COMPLY!"

--------------------

Post Extras:

Udat
Rear Admiral

Re: The Borg Assimilation of Ocampa. [Re: Akiraprise]
#5769989 - 16/03/2006 19:40 Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Quote:

Akiraprise said:
Hey, here's an idea now. All they would have to do is hire one person to be the queen or Locutus clone. Then all the rest could be no name extras. Talk about money saving potential. Hire a few aliens of the week to offer some pathetic resistance, some "kool" explosions, and we've got ourselves a show.

Loving it! We have a new series!

--------------------
NN28

Post Extras:

Pages: 1

Quick Reply:

Options:

Add signature

Preview Reply

Previous Index Next Threaded

Extra information
4 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator: od0_ital, Akiraprise

Favorite Topic! (toggle)
Print Topic

Forum Permissions
You can start new topics
You can reply to topics
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 338

Jump to *Internal Hails* ----- Announcements*Main Bridge* ----- General Trek Discussion The Original Series The Next Generation Deep Space Nine Voyager Enterprise Star Trek Movies*Engineering* ----- Trek Gaming Future of Trek Trek Tech*Astrometrics* ----- Web Sites/Design Fan Fiction Fan Films Trek Literature Trek Art*Science Fiction & Fantasy* ----- General Science Fiction & Fantasy Battlestar Galactica Stargate SG-1 & Atlantis Doctor Who*Federation Embassy* ----- General TV & Media Lost Science and Technology Miscellaneous The Think Tank*Trek Nation* ----- Questions, Suggestions & Feedback Moderator Actions TrekToday News Items*Ten Forward* ----- Rear Admirals' Lounge*TNZ* ----- The Briar Patch

Contact Us The Trek BBS