I find this funny and creepy

eloisel

Forever Empress E
I've been playing UO for about four years now. I don't play it everyday and sometimes go months without playing it but I play it enough I have well developed characters, belong to a guild, and have built friendships with about 20 people that have been playing the game since it first became available online more than a decade ago. I like it because I used to play the Nintendo Ultima games long time ago.

This is what is funny.

Two of the guys apparently do not believe me when I tell them I am 50-something years old. Both of them are in their early 40s. They seem to think I am the toons I play in game. Lol, lol, lol.

Okay. I've always wanted to be a 3'' one dimensional toon.

One of the guys I finally met at a gamers convention so he knows I'm not joking around with him. I'm not ashamed of my age and have no problem telling online persons I meet how old I am. We had a good time at the convention as two normal, real life persons that are friends. However, after a couple of weeks back in the game he is back to thinking I'm the online toon - and he has a crush on it. In particular he has a crush on my swamp dragon riding fencer named Desdemona. Yes, she can kick the shit out of troglodytes and she looks pretty nifty with her red dragon scale armour and lightning throwing warfork. But, she is still a toon.

I like him as a friend. He is an awesome player and lots of fun to play the game with. I don't want to hurt his feelings. But, when I'm not laughing at the hilarity of it, he is creeping me out.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
OMG...I have stuff like that going on at Fallen Sword. I've been playing there about a year and am an upper 500 level payer in a guild and we're pretty successful, but no one can handle it when they find out I'm in my fifties too. They want me to be the Titan Slayer and Guild Mentor LOL

I still owe you that soul kiss. I haven't forgotten.

eloisel

Forever Empress E
It was two years this last April. You owe me super long soul kiss.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
nerds! lol

Dual

RIP Karl 1991-2014
Lol, you play UO?

When I was a pathetic MMO addict back in the day, I'd take advantage of that sort of situation. Flirt with him, lead him on. As long as he doesn't try to carry his obsession into reality, there's no downside for you. Plus, he might give you items and stuff. :S:

starguard

Unluckiest Charm in the Box
Seeing that I have the attention span of a retarded goldfish when I comes to video games, I have never found one that I can stay interested in for more than a week!

The only exception is Batman (and a few Muscle Car street racing games)!

eloisel

Forever Empress E
Lol, you play UO?

When I was a pathetic MMO addict back in the day, I'd take advantage of that sort of situation. Flirt with him, lead him on. As long as he doesn't try to carry his obsession into reality, there's no downside for you. Plus, he might give you items and stuff. :S:

Yes - I do play UO. It is very different than the old Nintendo games. For a lot of these monsters and dungeons you really do need a party to go with you. On the old games, I'd take those dungeons alone and they were pretty simple, just figure out the rythm. In the online game, there is some evil stuff in those dungeons. I want a 52" monitor so I can fully appreciate the scariness of some of them. It is kind of sad though that in order to fully appreciate the game a person needs to be an experienced player with good gear and lots of skill to get to the better graphics and more interesting scenarios. It takes a long time to get there and the lower level of game play just doesn't keep the newbies interested. When I first started playing the game was packed with players on all shards. We're starting to get some players back in but for awhile there I could go for days without seeing another player online.

Dual

RIP Karl 1991-2014
Have you played any other games? In a somewhat similar vein to UO, I used to enjoy RO (Ragnarok Online). The big problem there was that I decided to play a priest, which seriously limited my ability to do anything at all without a party.

And I eventually got banned, but that's a story for another time. :S:

eloisel

Forever Empress E
I tried WoW briefly. All that flipping around made my TMJ vertigo go absolutely freaking nuts. Had lots of work done on my teeth and jaws last year so the TMJ is pretty much gone. Maybe the vertigo is gone too or lessened enough I could try again. But, I don't have the kind of time it takes to play both games well and I really like UO. I have cool crafters and fighters, groovy armor, a castle and lots of fun things. After I get my fansite moved over to the new webhoster, you can take a look at my toons and UO world if you are interested. I can do a lot of things by myself but most of the really fun stuff requires going with the uber players and/or a party. Some of the best fun, though, is when we all die and there isn't anyone anywhere around to resurrect us. Nothing like being totally fucked with friends. Just have to remember it is a game, the stuff isn't real, if we insured our stuff we didn't lose much and probably nothing of importance.

Donovan thinks I'm a nerd. He has no idea. Some nights I'm sitting here with my headset on coordinating attacks with my guildmates over Ventrilo. I just don't drink Pepsi, Mountain Dew, or eat pizza. And, I bathe on a regular basis.

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
I play WoW. That's about it.

eloisel

Forever Empress E
WoW graphics are better than UO's but when I played it, it seemed like a lot of running to get nowhere to do nothing and repetitive scenery on the way there. I didn't level very high though so that could be why what I could stand to play wasn't much fun.

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
Well yea, you have to get high enough to get a mount. That helps.

eloisel

Forever Empress E
That is the problem with UO too. You have to build up your stats high enough to play in the better areas and you have to have a lot of gold to buy the better armour to play in the more fun places but you don't get much gold off the lower level monsters so it takes too long to get good enough and dressed well enough to go do the really fun stuff. A newer player really does need to join a guild to have someone protect them and show them around the place so they know it will get more interesting as their skills improve. Most people just don't have that kind of patience anymore. They want it and want it now.

eloisel

Forever Empress E
Update. There was somebody in my house the other night.

I have two sides to my house and two front doors. There is an older man lives a few houses up the street from me and he comes to visit my neighbor on the other side of me as often as he can. This man has many health issues and is on quite a few medications. It really isn't a good idea for him to get out and go walking but sometimes he can't stand being cooped up in the house any longer. Anyway, the other night he got confused when going to visit my neighbor, stopped a house too short and walked into my house through the front door in the other living room. He fairly quickly realized he was in the wrong place and left. Since I was home alone that night the lights were off in that living room. He just left and mentioned it to my neighbor who told me about it last night. The big dogs would have heard him coming up onto the porch and the door opening too. With the racket they would have made - which was their job - my neighbor wouldn't have come into the house. Poor thing. Now I need to get him some soda pop and flowers and go down and visit him. I don't think I could stand being cooped up in the house all the time either.

The Call Of Nature

Saint (what else!)
oh dear, the poor guy. And you must have gotten quite a shock, I imagine. Maybe you should exchange the lock and get one which from the outside you can open only with a key. It'd be safer at any rate. I don't want you getting killed by a burglar, dear! *biiiiiig hug*

eloisel

Forever Empress E
oh dear, the poor guy. And you must have gotten quite a shock, I imagine. Maybe you should exchange the lock and get one which from the outside you can open only with a key. It'd be safer at any rate. I don't want you getting killed by a burglar, dear! *biiiiiig hug*

The door does lock however I'm bad about not locking doors.
I was just creeped out because I heard noises and it felt like someone was in the house but I couldn't find them. It was because he'd left.

Robert "Monkey" Loggia

Mongoloid Biscuit Beast
What the hell is UO?

I haven't played a PC game since freaking Diablo 2

I just bought Oblivion 3 days ago, and I can't be arsed to play it yet

eloisel

Forever Empress E
UO = Ultima Online.
I used to play the Ultima games on Nintendo ages ago. I was one of those parents that checked stuff out before I let my kids play it, watch it, read it, eat it, drink it, whatever. Anyway, it was one of the games I personally enjoyed playing. A few years back my son-in-law bought me a few months subscription to UO as a birthday gift. I played it for awhile and enjoyed playing the online version. It is different but true enough to the old Nintendo games I really enjoy it. Now, if I could just get that 73" flat panel TV/monitor I saw on HSN the other night - only $2,000 - that would be awesome. That Stygian Dragon would be terrifying and the new sea boss coming out this fall would be super awesomely terrifying.