I want to kill somebody.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Lilac said:
Sadly (for you), I'm no chick. At least you had the sense to double check, unlike the majority of the fools I pwn.

Give me a PM when you head back this way.

I bet your twin cousins are glad about that.

Ishcabittle

OMG PERSONAL INFORMATION - DELETE DELETE DELETE!!!

Donovan

beer, I want beer
Sucks about having stuff stolen though.

True story from Vegas: I lived in North LV for a while and got around on a mountain bike that was my main transportation. One day, through my own stupidity, it got left outside unlocked and of course went poof in the wind.

So I bitched about it to my brother but essentially could do nothing, since I had no receipt, serial numbers etc to prove ownership. I chalked it up to experience and let it drop...

HOWEVER...

A few weeks later, walking down a crowded blvd with my brother (crack alley in NLV, but we were both big guys) here comes this old black man riding my missing bike. We knew because it had a mismatched pedal that created a very distinctive squeak. So my brother says, "Hey that's your bike, let's go take it back from that guy."

As badly as I wanted to go get my bike back, I realized what it would look like to every single witness: two young, scary looking white kids knock an old man off a bike and take it. Especially since like I said I had no proof of ownership. So as painful as it was to get the bike stolen in the first place, it was even worse to see it later on with the thief and be completely helpless to watch it ride away yet again...

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Life is funny like that. I bet he was so poor that he needed to get somewhere quickly and the bike was just the answer.

Probably saved his life, and his families' too.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
jack said:
Life is funny like that. I bet he was so poor that he needed to get somewhere quickly and the bike was just the answer.

Probably saved his life, and his families' too.

Yeah, when I saw the old man I almost felt better about losing the bike, since it was somebody really using it and not some punk junkie.

Malarky

Resident Smartarse
It's good in that sense, because this guy was actually using it. I wonder if he'd been willing to give it back if you'd given him a $20, though.

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
I heard he took the bike and went round the world saving AIDS babies from certain death, then he managed to use it to shield himself from a vicious attack by Racist Nazi rape dogs, then afterwards he did wheelie tricks for a famous doctor who stopped and noticed his daughter was blind and that just one pill could make her see again. He gave her that pill, yes he did, and little Jessie is now a concert pianist.

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
HE WAS A FUCKIN THIEF WHO STOLE YOUR FUCKIN BIKE!

YOU SHOULD HAVE PUSHED HIM OFF THE FUCKIN THING AND STABBED HIM 700 TIMES WITH THE BRAKE LEVERS.

The Dork Lord

Whipping Boy
Ishcabittle said:
OMG PERSONAL INFORMATION - DELETE DELETE DELETE!!!

There's 10,000+ people living in this city, and I'm really not scared of various Tkers (or comiconers) showing up looking for me.

Anna

missmanners' favorite toy
I had an asshole steal my phone by pretending he was gonna get on the same bus as me. It wasn't until I'd put my money in before I realized he was on the other side of the street.

A fifty dollar phone is much easier to replace than a soprano sax, though. :(

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Donovan said:
Sucks about having stuff stolen though.

True story from Vegas: I lived in North LV for a while and got around on a mountain bike that was my main transportation. One day, through my own stupidity, it got left outside unlocked and of course went poof in the wind.

So I bitched about it to my brother but essentially could do nothing, since I had no receipt, serial numbers etc to prove ownership. I chalked it up to experience and let it drop...

HOWEVER...

A few weeks later, walking down a crowded blvd with my brother (crack alley in NLV, but we were both big guys) here comes this old black man riding my missing bike. We knew because it had a mismatched pedal that created a very distinctive squeak. So my brother says, "Hey that's your bike, let's go take it back from that guy."

As badly as I wanted to go get my bike back, I realized what it would look like to every single witness: two young, scary looking white kids knock an old man off a bike and take it. Especially since like I said I had no proof of ownership. So as painful as it was to get the bike stolen in the first place, it was even worse to see it later on with the thief and be completely helpless to watch it ride away yet again...
OH! CRAP! I wish I had the link for Lilac!

This reminds me of a story in "Willamette Week" maybe a year and a half ago: There is a website in Portland, run by citizens, devoted to helping people track down stolen bikes. The article had a story about some guys sitting on their porch when some hobo came by, riding an $800 mountain bike. So they chased him down, stopped him, and started questioning him about the bike. When it was clear that he didn't know anything about the bike, they confiscated it from him and were able to return it to its rightful owner.

I swear to God I'm not making this up. It's shit like that that makes me proud of the "Keep Portland Weird" bumperstickers.

The Dork Lord

Whipping Boy
Willamette Week---best newspaper EVER!

Complete concert listings

The used to run Too Much Coffee Man AND Red Meat...

and oh yeah, it's FREE!

missmanners

grrrrrrrr...
The Dork Lord said:
Right now I'm in Eastern Oregon, (almost Idaho) but I've lived in South Carolina and Iowa at different times.

Hey! I think bad dog lives over that way, or maybe he's in Eastern Washington, or is that Hambil....

;)
mm