Is 10 years a reasonable life span for a fridge?

curiousa2z

Be patient till the last.
grandma says her last fridge was 40 years old before they had to replace it!

curiousa2z

10 years seems a short amount of time for a frdige to me..

Ilyanna

moral imperfection
The answer depends on who you ask, really. People who have witnessed, say, the 60s and 70s will tell you that, indeed, there was a time when household items used to work for 30 years and more. Remember the time when the phone you got from your phone company at signing the contract* would be the only one you'd need for, oh, 20 years? Yeah, those were the days.

Unfortunately, since then the industries discovered that they will make more profit when their expensive stuff has a shelf-life of about 5 years (at a 3-years guarantee period, max), so if your fridge works for 10 years, you are one lucky person!
I blame Bill Gates and Nokia.

*rofl, no idea if that was the case in the US and Canada, too.

whisky

Boobie inspector
My last fridge lasted less than three years, the one before that just over one, my mum has had hers a lot longer.

Maybe old people take better care of their fridges?

Ilyanna

moral imperfection
nah, I really do think that the manufacturers use less valuable material. I call it the IKEA syndrome. A lot of people don't buy stuff for their homes for life-long usage anymore. There are a variety of reasons: they move, they want to re-decorate, they want the newest gadgets, to name but a few. Since they don't plan on keeping the items for a long time anyway, they won't invest a lot of money. The manufacturers, otoh, want to have maximum profit with minimum expenses. It's good for them to build low-quality objects with cheap components so people have to buy replacements within 3 years instead of being happy with their goods for 30 years.

Since the next generation won't even remember that fridges (and washing machines, and cars, and lawn-mowers) used to work for more than 20 years, the manufacturers will get away with it, too.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
10 years doesn't seem like a reasonable life span for a major appliance... but I have a fairly new fridge and within the first year one of the tracks for the meat drawer broke!

Dr Dave

pillzlol
I don't know what the average is/should be.

If she decides to get a new one,it should be more energy efficient.

curiousa2z

I think that they all have to have certain energy efficiency ratings now in Canada. My new one arrives in two days.
Three years for a fridge and i'd be complaining to the manufacturers! Ours are under warranty for five years as it is.

eloisel

Forever Empress E
My fridge is a big double wide that I've had for 14 years. My sister gave it to me. She used it for about 10 years before she decided she needed a new one for her new house. Then it sat in her garage for a couple of years before she gave it to me. It is still going right along. Perfect frost free in that it sucks the water out of the ice even. I'd like a new fridge - something smaller since this one takes up about half my kitchen. Oh well. There are always other things that need to be taken care of before replacing a perfectly fine refrigerator.

ThatSunrise

Likes house centipedes
10 years is alright. Anything older than that at this point should probably be replaced anyway given its inefficiency.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
Ily is correct; there is an actual market plan for all major appliances, electronics and yes, cars, called planned obsolescence. In short, they are designed to break very quickly, as opposed to items from years ago which were built as sturdily as possible. We live in a disposable world...

Ishcabittle

our fridge just died, it was born in 1955. it was sad to see it go.

SuN

.:~**~.~**~.~**~:.
Fridges and other household goods used to last a life time, now they are made to break to maximise purchases over a life time.
10 years for a fridge is a good innings, better is to replace these products and sell what life is left in them.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
My grandfather, and then my uncle ran a used appliance store for many years. Most of what goes wrong with a fridge, washer, or dryer is easily fixed. Of course, they (the big companies) don't want you fixing your "old" appliances so they charge a fortune for repairs, making it seem like a good idea to just forget it and buy a new one.

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
Unless it's used to hold heads, and then they live on forever.