Is Buffy Season 8 supposed to be bad? (SPOILERS)

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
It started off pretty good. Then they did the arc where Buffy went to the future for some reason and it seemed like it would be good because I like Fray but in the end I couldn't quite figure out what the point had been. Then they did a few random stories which weren't very satisfying but at least Dawn turned into a doll. Then Oz was in it for some reason and Buffy was bisexual for a while then she liked Xander but it turned out she only liked Xander becaue he liked Dawn (I think) and I was wondering if they were going to get to the point soon and reveal what all this Twilight stuff was. Then they DID reveal what all the Twilight stuff was about and it turned out Twilight was Angel and he was only pretending to be bad (even though he'd like killed dozens of slayers) and it made absolutely no sense and was impossible to follow. Then Buffy and Angel had sex in space and created a new universe. Or something. And loads of demons attacked Earth and killed millions of people I guess and all of that was because Buffy and Angel had sex...

BUT THEN in the latest arc Joss Whedon came back to write and I thought "oh boy, Joss will make it good!" but it turned out it was even more shit than ever and the two latest issues have been literally nothing but explaining the plot and adding yet more impossible to follow details. Like Joss realised the Twilight stuff wasn't working so now he's introduced "the seed" underneath Sunnyday which needs to stay "corked" or else something vague happens and it is LITERALLY the "cork keeping the light in" thing from Lost and I mean LITERALLY because they even had Spike explaining it using a wine bottle like Jacob did in Lost and it didn't really make sense in Lost and it made even less sense here and was just downright insulting really and the Master was alive for some reason and Spike's on a spaceship with talking insects and who was that guy with the moustache listing to Dawn and Xander and reading this sentence is a bit like reading an issue of Buffy season eight and did I mention that the art has gotten pretty bad and it's impossilbe to tell who the characters even are sometimes?

So yeah, the only conclusion I can reach is that they're making it bad on purpose so the final issue it'll be revealed that some Godlike entity was behind it all and wanted everything to make no sense and be lame for some evil purpose but Buffy kills him by having a threesome with Spiker and Angel on the moon.

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
What about Willow?

CaptainWacky

She's vaguely hinted at vaguley turning evil in a possible future and vaguely betraying Buffy maybe.

CaptainWacky

I'm pretty sure it was said that it was only one possible future.

Tisiphone

But said in a vague sort of way.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Yeah it really has gone abit off the tracks.

It was good in the start, with Japanese vampires and mecha Dawns and centaur Dawns and such, but now it has to idea what it's doing.

I mean I actually cannot tell you what the last plot thread was. Something about armies of slayers BUT THEY DON'T HAVE THEIR POWERS and there's like a gint baby god and Buffy can fly. Oh and Angel's Twilight.

Or he isn't because Twilight is something else.

What

I mean the stuff they introduced this issue, about the evil cork, isn't bad, it's just we probably should've been told about it about a year ago.

But the most annoying thing for me is that all the characters apart from Buffy have seemed to be swept aside. I mean, Dawn and Xander are in a relationship. For both characters this a is pretty major thing, but we're never told how it affects them or even what their feeling are about it. We're told what Buffy thinks about it, but that's not what's really important. Same with Willow, Giles, Faith, everyone. All the secondary characters now do stuff so that we can see Buffy react to it, instead of doing stuff to actually further develop their characters.

And the art's getting bad too. That doesn't even look like Michelle Trachtenberg.

Tisiphone

Where's the buffy/angel sex thread?

CaptainWacky

I mean I actually cannot tell you what the last plot thread was. Something about armies of slayers BUT THEY DON'T HAVE THEIR POWERS and there's like a gint baby god and Buffy can fly. Oh and Angel's Twilight.

Or he isn't because Twilight is something else.

What

As far as I can tell from how the last issue ended, the Big Bad/Twilight is actually Buffy and Angel's child/a new universe that was created when they had safe sex and he's been manipulating events since before he was born (kind of like Jasmine really). This manipulation included appearing to Angel in the form of a talking dog and convincing him it would be a good idea to become a masked super villian.

Angel is fucking retarded.

CaptainWacky

Not this girl. Not this day.

Tisiphone

Oh, I'm like Jake Lamotta here.

CaptainWacky

SPOILERS FOR ISSUE 39. DO NOT READ SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T READ ISSUE 39 (it's on Demonoid, search for it. Or buy it in a shop!)

GILES DIED.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Okay, my main question:

If all the magic has gone from the world (like what happened in Fray), then what happens to Dawn??

CaptainWacky

Summers blood.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Let's talk about issue 40 - THE LAST ISSUE:

So that wasn't too bad! I mean, yes, it was basically a big reset but it was resetting a whole load of bad stuff like the Slayer army and Kennedy and stuff. The removal of magic is interesting, it fits in with what happened in Fray, but it pretty much means that they can't ever bring it back. So who knows what they'll do for season 9. Hopfully in season 9 they can stop going over the top with the characters and armies and space sex and bad art and keep it simple like the series was.

Dawn was in her pyjammas.