Let's talk about Star Trek, Deep Space Nine (9)

SAUSAGEMAN

I've been rewatching DS9 with an undisclosed non-Trekkie. Maybe I'll leave posts lying around here when I feel like it?

Last night we watched S1E5, Babel, and it was the first episode of the series I kind of felt embarassed about showing him. It's one of those awful episodes where a problem comes up, they solve it at minute 42 of 44, everything comes back to normal, and we've learned next to nothing about the characters or the world. There were several scenes that were nothing but the characters shouting technobabble at each other, and there was absolutely no tension because you knew that the station wasn't going to blow up and the entire main cast wasn't going to die.

It was a TNG-ass DS9 episode, and that made me sad and kinda embarassed.

Star Trek :(

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Do you have a strategy worked out for dealing with Move Along Home?

SAUSAGEMAN

The dankest of nugs should make it tolerable. Maybe even enjoyable.

2834.imgcache.gif

CaptainWacky

Nana Visitor does good eye acting there.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
For Avery Brooks that's considered a rather muted start to the day.

SAUSAGEMAN

We did Move Along Home last night, and drugs improve the viewing experience considerably. Still wasn't good, but we were laughing our asses off.

ALAMAREIN

S still has difficulty getting on board with the whole forehead alien concept - he kept ranting about how the square tattoos on the aliens' foreheads made no evolutionary sense. Then the episode entered its acid trip phase, and he shut up.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
The caveat is that every (TNG-era) Trek show needs at least one season's shakedown time. I don't watch many episodes from S1 of TNG or VOY either, other than the pilots, just because things are so much more tentative (especially the look). You can see them throwing ideas at the wall each week, wondering which things will slide to the floor and which will stick.

Your friend will cream over Battle Lines, Duet, and the season finale cliffhanger.

Dr Dave

pillzlol
Season 1 of Voyager wasn't bad.

One thing I disliked about season 1 of DS9 was Bashir. The character was annoying for the first couple seasons.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
True about S1 of VOY. That should have been an indicator that it wasn't going to grow like its predecessors.

CaptainWacky

Voyager actually got worse as it went on (other than a slight increase in quality when Seven first joined.)

SAUSAGEMAN

Ugh, Move Along Home was immediately followed by a Ferengi episode. Ferengi episodes :(

And I'd forgotten how fast Opaka bites it.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
And bites it. And bites it. And bites it. And bites it. And bites it. And bites it. And bites it...

SAUSAGEMAN

I wonder if sometime in season 6, offscreen, someone was all "huh, Opaka is getting murdered right now, isn't she?"

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Kira probably thought about it every time Kai Winn traded insults with her.

CaptainWacky

Remember when Janeway let herself be assimilated.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
And took Tuvok and Torres with her just to have someone to talk to.