Michael Dorn: I'm developing a Worf TV series

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Michael Dorn Confirms He’s Working on a ‘Star Trek: Captain Worf’ TV Series

19 hours ago by Sandy Schaefer

Star Trek: Captain Worf TV series in the works

Geek favorites Bryan Fuller and Bryan Singer have been forthcoming about their hopes for bringing Star Trek back to the small screen, after the release of J.J. Abrams’ elusive sequel to his Trek movie reboot next summer. However, it turns out those two aren’t the only ones with big dreams about a new TV series set in that sci-fi universe – Michael Dorn is also taking steps to reprise his signature Trek role on a spinoff, tentatively titled Star Trek: Captain Worf.

Worf, Son of Mogh, of course, is the first Klingon main character on a Star Trek TV series. He appeared on The Next Generation throughout its seven-season run, then became a Deep Space Nine regular for its last four seasons. Dorn portrayed Worf in all four Next Generation films; in addition, he played Worf’s grandfather, Colonel Worf, in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.

Rumors and reports about a prospective Worf spinoff began circulating earlier this year – which, perhaps not-so-coincidentally, marks the 25th anniversary of The Next Generation. Trek News caught up with recently with Dorn, who gave them the following exclusive “scoop” on the project:

“I had come up with the idea because I love [Worf] and I think he’s a character that hasn’t been fully developed and hasn’t been fully realized. Once I started thinking about it, it became obvious to me that I wanted to at least put it out there, which I have, and the response has been pretty amazing. We’ve been contacted by different individuals–I can’t say who and all that–about wanting to come on board and be part of this. ”

Deep Space Nine concluded with Worf being made Federation ambassador to the Klingon homeworld, Qo’noS. An official prequel comic book to Abrams’ Trek reboot featured Worf as a Klingon Empire General, who battles the Romulan Captain Nero (Eric Bana, in Abrams’ film). Worf sustained life-threatening injuries during the encounter, but it was indicated he was still alive by the story’s conclusion.

However, the overlap between events on DS9 and the Star Trek film continuity has always been kind of fuzzy; hence, it stands to reason that could also hold true for a Worf spinoff and the post-reboot movies. Dorn’s in the same boat of uncertainty as Fuller and Singer, when it comes to how his plans are affected by Abrams’ films – as he put it, “there’s all the political stuff going on with the new movies with J.J. Abrams and Paramount and all that stuff, which I have no clue about and what it all entails, but that’s where it is right now.”

The in-progress subtitle Captain Worf is open to interpretation, as far as indications for when, exactly, the TV series could take place. Such a Star Trek spinoff would, for certain, retain the ensemble format of its predecessors to some degree – with a focus on the adventures of Worf and a new group of space explorers. Morever, Dorn says the show isn’t so much a pipe dream as one might think (at first):

“Interestingly enough it has gotten traction. I was very surprised, I was on a movie not too long ago, where one of the producers was basically lobbying to be part of it. He was like “Michael, I’d love to write it, if you haven’t.” So at this point, my agents and my manager are looking at all the avenues and trying to figure out which is the best one. My agent and manager have been in the business for awhile, so they’re very savvy about where to start and how to get it going. Like I said, in this business you never know and I’ve been through pitching things and I never want to do that again [laughs]. It’s pretty brutal, but definitely I think once again, if Paramount or CBS or anybody thinks this is a viable thing, they’ll jump on it.”

Worf’s Klingon manner and instincts often put him at odds with his fellow officers on The Next Generation, as hilariously highlighted in this 15-minute compilation video; still, there were a few episodes on DS9 that explored Worf’s personal sense of duty and honor beyond the surface level. Nonetheless, there does remain room for further development of the character – even given the substantial amount of backstory already in place for Worf.

However, as Dorn mentions above, the Star Trek: Captain Worf television series is far from getting an official greenlight right now. Nevertheless, we will keep you up-to-date on the situation as more information is released (or Dorn continues to talk about it).

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I've got a little project I'm working on too...

I dunno, he's right that Worf (and most of the characters) hasn't been as fully developed as they probably would have been in today's story arc-friendly tv shows, but I'm not so sure there's any appetite for more Worf. I can't be the only one who finds the Klingons utterly tiresome.

There's still the nagging Trek fan at the back of my mind who would be glad to see anything set in the 24th century again, but my rational side says it's not a very promising character to base a series on, and the whole thing's a pipe dream anyway.

whisky

Boobie inspector
He had 7 years of TNG and 3 years of DS9, I think the character of Worf is about as developed as its ever going to be.

This smacks of captain Sulu syndrome.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I dunno. Sulu was never gonna happen because Takei can't really act. But I think Worf is one of the very few characters (if not the only one) who could sustain a new show.

Obviously they would make him speak less formally, and lean more on the fact that he was raised by humans so he isn't as stiff, but his marathon run on 2 shows and 5 movies makes him the best candidate.

Miles O'Brien had more screen time, but I'm sure Colm Meaney would rather have his eyes gouged out than put on the uniform again...

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
BUT YEAH WE KNOW THIS AIN'T HAPPENIN'.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
IT COULD HAPPEN :rwmad:

I'd definitely watch it. I used to think naughty thoughts about Worf and his Klingon dong.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
He could fall in love and marry a woman each year, and she dies in the season finale!

IT'S LIKE HIS THING!

whisky

Boobie inspector
Well even though he clearly didnt have enough time, they still gave him a very rapidly grown up son in DS9, so I can only imagine he would be a grandad by now, unless the son was gay.

Now a gay klingon, that would break new ground.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Good tea. Nice house.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Well even though he clearly didnt have enough time, they still gave him a very rapidly grown up son in DS9, so I can only imagine he would be a grandad by now, unless the son was gay.

Now a gay klingon, that would break new ground.
I always thought Chang was a little light in the loafers, with all that Shakespeare CUMMING out his piehole...

CaptainWacky

And that scene where he's obviously eyeing up Sulu but Sulu says "I'm seeing someone" then walks away WITH SCOTTY!?

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Scotty was Sulu's "Bodyguard" at all school dances.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
RIBBED FOR HER PLEASURE.

Filthy Whore

Mad Arse Face
I dunno. Sulu was never gonna happen because Takei can't really act. But I think Worf is one of the very few characters (if not the only one) who could sustain a new show.

Obviously they would make him speak less formally, and lean more on the fact that he was raised by humans so he isn't as stiff, but his marathon run on 2 shows and 5 movies makes him the best candidate.

Miles O'Brien had more screen time, but I'm sure Colm Meaney would rather have his eyes gouged out than put on the uniform again...

Colm Meaney's dressing in Civil War period costumes on Hell on Wheels and doesn't have time for this tomfoolery.

CaptainWacky

Which minor character could appear as Worf's first officer? I'm thinking Nog.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Is he even still alive?

Didn't he have what Gary Coleman had?

CaptainWacky

I'm pretty sure we'd know if he was dead.

Eisenberg was born with only one partially functioning kidney and received a kidney transplant at the age of 17.[1] This stunted his growth at 5' (1.52 m).

Doesn't look like he's acted since DS9 though.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Well I guess he's available then, and probably very cheap.

Gagh

Χριστόφορος
Perhaps Michael Dorn will be interested that I am currently at the developmental stage of forming enough world class apathy for his Worf TV Series concept.