OK, Ishcabittle, a good challenge for you: Networking mac/pc.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
My AirPort Extreme is running v5.6 firmware and my Express is running v6.2. Now, when I download the latest version of AirPort Utility (5.4.1) it can't find my Extreme or my Express wired or wirelessly. I downgraded back to using AU v4.1. That version sees my Extreme just fine, but I have to hard-wire the Express in order to find it. However, I think the issue is that AUv5.4 can't see my AirPorts because I'm still running the v5.6/v6.2 firmware and I'm gonna have to upgrade it to the v7.4 firmware.

Another issue I keep reading is that when networking a Windows machine to an AWD where they're using the latest versions of the mac software (AUv5.4/FWv7.4) the connection gets all effed-up. So, I wanna install AUv5.3 and FWv7.3 due to the fact that I would really rather not upgrade to the latest software until it's been out and bug-fixed for a few months. The problem with that, is I've found that you have to be running AUv5.3 in order to upload the 7.3 firmware; and when I install AUv5.3 it can't find my AirPorts either.

My challenge to you is: how do you do that? Do I need to research all previous versions of the software and upgrade them one-at-a-time, or is there a faster/easier way?

Here are my system specs just to help you out:

XPpro SP3
Liksys Wireless-B network adapter model no. WUSB11v3 with current firmware (I'm gonna upgrade this to a linksys wireless-G PCI in a week or so).
My wireless is set up using DHCP with NetBIOS over TCP/IP turned on.
I disabled my static IP (my IP and DNS are on auto).
AirPort Extreme firmware 5.6
AirPort Express firmware 6.2
AirPort Wireless mode set to 802.11b/g compatible on both AWD's.
Current AirPort Utility software v4.1
Airport Express Assistant v1.0
The Express is on a fresh hard reset.

I am connected to the Extreme wirelessly and using the internet. The only things I've changed are the base station name, the network name, the wireless security settings (WPA home/small office, w/personal key), and one port mapping port to allow vuze.

Ishcabittle

let see...

you're saying when you upgrade to teh latest airport admin utility you cannot see your base stations, correct? hmm... if you have a buddy with a Mac, they may have a better shot at finding the base stations with the mac version of the admin utility, but I don't know.

Let me get home and get the admin utility on my PC and I'll see what i can find.

Blindgroping

U mad 'bro?
Hey! I never thought of that! I could probably USB my imac to the Qwest internet router.
Like I did the laptop.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
No-can-do on the mac config. My PowerBook G4 doesn't see it either. However, since there are three pc's in this house and only one mac, I prefer to do the main networking from a pc.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
That "week or so" turned into today. I installed the Linksys Wireless-G PCI card today. This should make things a bit easier to work with.

Ishcabittle

hmm... if even the mac can't see it, the express is in a state of panic and won't be usable until we factory reset it. a hard reset and a factory reset are different, here's what you do.

unplug the express
press and hold the reset button
keep the reset button depressed while you plug the express back in
wait about 20 seconds until you see the light blink green four times.

airport admin utility should see the express at the default name, "Apple Network (last six digits of your MAC address)". let's hope.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
OK, 5.4 sees the express now.

Would the same type of reset work for the Extreme?

I'm hesitant to reset it and not be able to use it.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
New issue. When clicking the manual install button it connects to the express, but then switches back to the "searching for airport devices" screen and doesn't continue.

Ishcabittle

a hard reset puts an extreme into default mode - it'll do the "Apple Network <mac>" thing, and wired clients are automatically connected to the internet in that state.

i just tried airport admin 5.4.1 on my windows 7 system, and everything worked as it should... i did notice during install that some firewall rules were created, have you tried adding the app to your firewall exceptions, or simply trying it with your firewall off?

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
I'm running Norton Internet Security 2009 and I had the thing turned off wile messing around with the settings on the airports. Didn't change anything.

Ishcabittle

well there's your problem, you're running a norton product. j/k. well, not really.

you might also try hard wiring in to the base station when you are doing your searching / firmware upgrades, upgrading firmware over wireless can be a little pissy.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Norton has grown into 31 flavors of evil for your system.

Ishcabittle

Conchaga, where do we stand on this? Any version of AAU seeing your extreme? express? firewall on, firewall off? after a factory reset, after a hard reset, after a soft reset? what's going on?