OMG I had SUCH A FIT this morning

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Yesterday or a couple days ago, OR WHENEVER, OK? :rwmad: Tomtrek told me that msn messenger was merging with Skype so we'd all be forced to do that eventually. SO today I opened messenger and got the MESSAGE to merge, and figured wtf I'll just go ahead and do that. I HATED IT. No email notification, no way to check email from Skype, a huge IM thing, all my contacts in a weird place. IT'S TERRIBLE. So I uninstalled Skype. I tried several ways to download messenger, but apparently my computer didn't want to open the set up files, or some shit? I DON'T KNOW. I was about to start weeping uncontrollably when I remembered system restore and now ALL IS WELL. I'm still going to hate it when we're forced to merge. I hope Skype changes a few things before that terrible day arrives.

IN CONCLUSION: Don't merge with Skype until you have to, if you regularly use messenger and like having email notifications. OR maybe I R RETARTED and there's a way to get email notifications without messenger. IF THERE IS THEN SOMEONE TELL A BITCH, OK?

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Wish I could help, but I stopped using Messenger a few years ago. We used to chat with like crazy in its heyday, pre-Windows Live.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I'm going to hold out until THE VERY LAST MINUTE. Then I'll probably just give up and check hotmail in my browser, or something. Fuckers. that's really the only thing I want messenger for.

I CURSED AT SKYPE.

Mirah

I love you
You still chat with people? I want to chat with people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm sorry for your frustrating experience Cassie!

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Yeah, I hate it too. I started using it a while back because people told me "it's so much better than msn" and "everyone's pretty much using Skype instead now" (the second one probably being true, but not among my friends).

But it's rubbish. The window is massive. As far as I can tell you can't just have a tall thin window neatly on one side of the screen. And anyone with a merged MSN/Skype account appears on the contacts list twice. And I can't see how to change the colour of my text so it's easily distinguishable from the other persons.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
When the time comes and msn messenger is no more, I will not be using Skype. I hardly chat with anyone, on there. LIKE DR DAVE SAID, tk chat takes care of my chatting NEEDS but now and then my sister or someone I don't talk to anywhere else will get on, so I will miss that.

I CAN'T EVEN TYPE COHERENTLY ABOUT IT I AM R SO :rwmad:

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
^Read the first post in the chat bump thread.

I'm not liking the sound of this Skype thing...

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Apparently we have until the first quarter of 2013 to switch. I WILL HOLD OUT UNTIL THE BITTER END. Maybe by then Microsoft will do something to make Skype a little more like Messenger.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
With the current state of MSN messenger's user-end client, I'd rather stick with skype.

I started jumping the MSN ship years ago. I mostly use skype, aim, and kik for iphone. MSN is such a bulky program. Besides, everyone I know uses AIM and Skype in the first place. MSN was mostly for this place and throwaway contact info for craigslist hookups.

Yes, I use burner MSN names to hook up with random sexual partners... that's how little I use MSN.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
Even so, I may have to abandon AIM completely in a bit. Their new user client sucks balls through a garden hose.

CaptainWacky

THINGS SHOULD NEVER CHANGE.

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
MSN was always like giving your computer an all you can eat buffet full of MSG, I dropped it within 24 hours of downloading it.

CaptainWacky

WELL I LIKE IT.