"privacy" in the digital age

Consumer

Elder Statesman
So it seems that every day we find a new story about this person or that person being fired from their job due to a tweet, text, facebook post, or E-mail that was "inappropriate".

What strikes me is that all of these comments have ALWAYS been made, sometimes as a joke or in a conversational context, but without a record beyond "Hey, so-and-so said this" if the recipient felt it was worthy of being passed on.

Now, every quip, comment, or other note meant for private consumption is recorded and used against you in the court of public or managerial opinion. People fear the scenario when the government or other entity or individual can "read you mind". Well, if you text what your mind is doing, we can all read it.

I do not have a facebook account. I rarely journal on-line (anymore, I used to be addicted to the practice). I don't tweet. I rant here, which is bad enough...

Private thought is dead. We all are so weak and needy that we need the validation to think that three dozen people care about what we had for lunch or who we think is cute. The modern Ego is such a frail creature.

I think we all need about 3 months on some pleasant island, with no internet or phone access, just to re-adjust. Of course, then we can tell everyone about it when we get back. If it doesn't cause us to get fired for it.

-SB

Yub

Anachrophobic
I've reach the edge of a new place: IDUNGIVAFUX. Such a wonderful place, looks inviting. I suggest others join me in exploring this new land.