Scrambled my EI account

Hambil

I AM A GOLDEN GOD
Finally decided it was time. This is not an invitation to bash EI (not that I can stop anyone), just wasn't 'working' for me anymore, somehow. So, why force it?

Yeah yeah yeah, <insert rape joke here>

'Gear

RIP 1970~2018
I've been trying to write some jokes about rape but the problem is they all seem forced.

VKD

Banned
did you make a farewell thread?

Hambil

I AM A GOLDEN GOD
No, just settled a few private affairs, stripped my account (avatar, personal info, sig. etc, and scrambled my password. Other than asking an admin for help, which is highly unlikely to occur, I'm gone.

Hambil

I AM A GOLDEN GOD
I am still trying to puzzle out in my mind how I left EI and returned to TK because I was tired of hostile posting...

Either the two boards have changed alot over the years, or I have.

Enkephalen

My Stars!
Why did you need to scramble your account? Why not just stop going there? Please understand, I am not knocking your decision, but just curious.

Hambil

I AM A GOLDEN GOD
Self control issues. Scrambling the account, given EI dual policy, means to visit as other than a guest ever again, I'd need to request my account restored by an admin. That present a significant barrier to me, and helps me not get sucked back in.

Archibald Nixon

anti-life coach
I just registered for the first time (seriously) and am awaiting clearance/approval from the admin.

So tell me about the place.

Hambil

I AM A GOLDEN GOD
It's sort of the anti-tk. But, that sucks you in. There are good people there, and they try hard, and if you can not get dragged into all the rules and just post in the Beach and gets updates on TV shows and movies from one of the entertainment forums - it's not so bad.

My real problem, which I was simply not willing to discuss there, is that I supported a writers strike, and not one writer has spoken out about SOPA. And there are famous writers on that board.

Enkephalen

My Stars!
Okay, let's pretend I live on Mars in a cave - which may be true and also let's remember that I don't go to EI and read threads very often, and certainly not in the palatial palace they have for their Greek gods. What is SOPA?

Hambil

I AM A GOLDEN GOD
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscent..._plea_from_the_inventors_of_the_internet.html

In summary, Stop Online Piracy Act. It gives tradmark and copyright holders the ability to shut down anything they want. Post a picture of your favorite hot celeb on TK, he/she or the person that took the image (say Getty Images) can shut us down. Well, if we are in the US - we'd just disappear from TK - I'd no longer be able to get here.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
Basically, an unenforcable mandate. There was a similar outcry when Napster was shut down, that this was the end of the internet, and again when Youtube began to get hit with copyright violations bla bla. But there are more ways to acquire free content than ever, and that ain't going to change. People like free stuff, and the providers of said piracy are smarter than the stoppers of same. Do the math.

Hambil

I AM A GOLDEN GOD
No. I felt that it would have to come from them, to show support or not. I didn't want to put the board in that position. But, since they chose not to, after littering the board with help us threads during the strike, I will choose other TV shows to watch, and books to read. Until such time as things change. As is my right as a consumer.

Hambil

I AM A GOLDEN GOD
Basically, an unenforcable mandate. There was a similar outcry when Napster was shut down, that this was the end of the internet, and again when Youtube began to get hit with copyright violations bla bla. But there are more ways to acquire free content than ever, and that ain't going to change. People like free stuff, and the providers of said piracy are smarter than the stoppers of same. Do the math.
Yes, this is exactly like those times.

Remember when business week was complaining about the shutting down of Napster, and Google, eBay and Twitter where calling it "China-style censorship"?

Yeah, me either.

As for unenforcable, sadly it's not. And the people who are pirating are not smarter, just more diversified. A small government agency with regulator or tax powers could easily enforce a US firewall.

Could I get through? Maybe, probably not. Could you, no.

Would I? No. Not worth the risk.

Hambil

I AM A GOLDEN GOD
Personally, I hope they all get a chance to be reintroduced to what it was like to be a starving artist again.