Shit My Dad Says STARRING THE SHAT!

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3ie935cc06a4035022666f553e0936ab6a

Twitter sensation Shit My Dad Says is becoming a TV pilot with William Shatner set to play the larger-than-life dad at the center of it.

The casting of Shatner lifts the contingency on CBS' multicamera family comedy project based on the Twitter account, which has enlisted more than 1.16 million followers since launching in August and has made its creator, Justin Halpern, an Internet star.

The pilot, executive produced by "Will & Grace" creators David Kohan and Max Mutchnick, was originally set up at CBS with a script commitment in November. Now, with Shatner on board, it has been greenlighted to pilot.

Halpern co-penned the script with Patrick Schumacker. Halpern and Schumacker co-exec produce the Warner Bros. TV-produced project whose title is expected to change if it goes to series.

Halpern, 29, had moved back in with his parents in San Diego, and on Aug. 3 he launched Shit My Dad Says, a Twitter feed featuring colorful -- often profane -- comments made by his 73-year-old father during their daily conversations.

Shatner was an early favorite for the role because of his comedic acting chops as well as his successful spoken word renditions that fit the style of the Shit My Dad Says zingers. Last year, he did spoken word interpretations of Sarah Palin's farewell address and her best-selling book on "The Tonight Show With Conan O'Brien."

Shatner most recently starred on ABC's legal dramedy "Boston Legal," winning an Emmy for playing another larger-than-life character, self-proclaimed legendary litigator Denny Crane.

He also won an Emmy for playing the character in a guest tint to "Boston Legal's" predecessor, "The Practice."
William Shatner in Shit My Dad Says
Twitter sensation turned into TV pilot for CBS

By Nellie Andreeva

Feb 19, 2010, 12:03 PM ET

I didn't think this show would be worth watching, but of course I will watch it now.

Ishcabittle

huh. it could be really good, but the part about shit my dad says that i like is that he swears his ass off. i don't know if it would be as good without the swears.

i wonder if shat would just be himself or actually try and capture the dad's character.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
He should do the whole thing like he's CAPTAIN KIRK.

Ishcabittle

apparently you don't care how he plays it, it's a sitcom with the shat, i hear ya. cassie, what if they need a romantic interest? can you do a good wacky neighbor?

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
OH I MOST CERTAINLY COULD.

Ishcabittle

you sound serious. a little TOO serious. don't look a similar threads.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I think thats the first article I have seen about William Shatner that never mentioned star trek at all.

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
Cassie's dream finally a reality.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Call it "SHIT THE SHAT SEZ, BITCHEZ".

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
SHITMYDADSEZ NEGOTIATOR

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
If it was made over here it'd have all the swearing of the original tweets and then some. Bleeping words out or using weak substitutes is flipping daft.

Robert "Monkey" Loggia

Mongoloid Biscuit Beast
Two of my favorite things in the world together = teh win.

Two of my favorite things together, sanitized, censored, and fucking deballed? Not so much.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I can't imagine the show being any success without the integral Dancing Batman character. If we hear he's been dropped we'll know it's gonna be a disaster.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Will Metal Feel Pete still be in it?

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Due to budget constraints, he will be rewritten as Fiberglass Feet Pete.