Star Trek Voyager episode question

STAR TREK VOYAGER "THRESHOLD" SEASON 2 EPISODE #15
292px-Transwarp_humans.jpg

On the planet, they see two amphibian-like beings with a number of "children." Chakotay stuns the two creatures with his phaser and brings them back on the ship. Chakotay has no idea which creature is Janeway.

Paris and Janeway are reverted back to their Human selves using The Doctor's anti-proton treatments, although Paris is extremely embarrassed about having mated with the captain. Janeway accepts his apology, but admits that she might have also been active in the mating process; she might even have been the one who initiated it.
I have been watching ST: VOY because I have not seen ALL the episodes from the first 3 seasons. I am currently watching S2 & have a question about the episode "Threshold". This was a very strange episode, but after mating & having 2 amphibian offspring, why did they decide not to keep them? And letting them remain on that planet would be a violation of the prime directive wouldn't it? Leaving 2 advanced offspring (male/female?) who may potentially produce their own offspring & populate into many could later alter the planet's future direction. Janeway & Paris were changed back into their human selves because they still retained their human DNA. Would it have been possible to alter the 2 offspring into human form as well? I'm also wondering if these amphibian offspring ever appeared in the Trek universe again, via tv or novel? I just find myself wondering what became of them. :)

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Since most people consider this to be one of the 3 worst VOY eps ever, not a lot of people have speculated on it. ;)

Since most people consider this to be one of the 3 worst VOY eps ever, not a lot of people have speculated on it. ;)

I agree, not a very good episode. I just can't understand how Janeway & Paris could leave their children behind on a strange planet. They may be highly evolved amphibian kiddies, but they are still theirs...where is the love?

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
We should start a petition to make sure that our abortion laws cover this area, just in case.

The message I got from this episode is that it is ok to abandon your children if they are different. Are there no child abandonment laws in Star Trek land?

whisky

Boobie inspector
More to the point, since the warp 10 difficulties can be easily overcome with some anti proton treatment why didnt they just use the technology to get home?

Yub

Anachrophobic
Because then we wouldn't have 5 more shitty seasons. Henoch has a point, the abandonment of the fluppy kids on whatever planet goes against almost everything the Federation stands for. Not just a mere legal violation of the Prime Directive, the abandonment of the offspring also runs contrary to the spirit of what the Federation does: seek out new life and make friends with it. Instead Janeway abandons that new life on some unnamed planet and never speaks of it again.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
The mutated Tom Paris was made into an action figure, with three of his offspring as accessories.

"Threshold" won the 1996 Emmy for Outstanding Individual Achievement in Makeup for a Series, beating out Star Trek: Deep Space Nine's "The Visitor."

The writing staff were dissatisfied with the quality of the episode, to the point that Brannon Braga called it a "royal, steaming stinker"[1][2]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threshold_(Star_Trek:_Voyager)

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Goofs for "Star Trek: Voyager" Threshold (1996)

* Continuity: In "Threshold", Tom and Harry are trying to break the Warp 10 barrier. In the process they say its a theoretical impossibility and that no one has gone that fast. Yet at least once in "Star Trek" (1966) and "Star Trek: The Next Generation" (1987) the warp 10 barrier is broken.

* Plot holes: Tom's mutation into an amphibian or reptilian creature started off with an allergic reaction to water. It would be interesting to know how a water-resident creature can survive with a water allergy.

* Revealing mistakes: At one point during his mutation, Tom removes his tongue, impairing his speech as a result. Yet when he asks the Doctor later to release him from sickbay, he clearly says "please". Without a tongue, he wouldn't be able to produce an 'L'. Also, his tongue can actually be seen on several occasions during that scene.

* Errors made by characters (possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): In the scene where Tom makes his first Warp 10 test flight in the shuttle, Tuvok announces his speed as Warp 9.9. He then states that the shuttle is exceeding Voyager's maximum speed. However, in the first episode of the series, Lt. Stadi establishes that Voyager has a maximum sustainable speed of Warp 9.975. Therefore, at Warp 9.9, Voyager could easily keep up with Tom and the shuttle.
Trivia for "Star Trek: Voyager" Threshold (1996)

Was ruled non-canon by the show's creators after a huge wave of backlash from the fans about being extremely lackluster.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0708995/combined

Yub

Anachrophobic
When it's seriously ultra shitty and you want to continue to have people watching the show.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
How do you rule an episode non-canon?
You never mention it again in future episodes, and you tell Mike Okuda to leave it out of the Trek Encyclopedia?

Well, all of the Trek series had their fair share of really bad episodes. I would say that TNG probably had more really bad episodes than any other Trek series (except "Enterprise"??). Probably the only Trek series where an entire first season was utter crap...give or take a few episodes. That said, TNG had a lot of really great episodes, but so did VOYAGER.

Tyralak

Official ASVS Token Trekkie
* Continuity: In "Threshold", Tom and Harry are trying to break the Warp 10 barrier. In the process they say its a theoretical impossibility and that no one has gone that fast. Yet at least once in "Star Trek" (1966) and "Star Trek: The Next Generation" (1987) the warp 10 barrier is broken.

The TOS example is easily explainable, due to the fact that the warp scale was recalibrate after the 23rd century. As far as the TNG reference, I'd have to know what episode to find out if there's any way to reconcile it.

Trivia for "Star Trek: Voyager" Threshold (1996)

Was ruled non-canon by the show's creators after a huge wave of backlash from the fans about being extremely lackluster.

How do you rule an episode non-canon?

You don't. IMDB is simply wrong. Flat out. According to CBS canon policy, ALL live action TV shows and films are canon. One episode of The Animated Series "Yesteryear" is included along with two novels by Jeri Taylor "Mosaic" and "Pathways" Unfortunately this also includes Star Trek V, leaving us with a mess to reconcile when it comes to warp speeds and other issues.

You never mention it again in future episodes, and you tell Mike Okuda to leave it out of the Trek Encyclopedia?

Since the Star Trek Encyclopedia itself is non-canon, this is irrelevant.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Fussypants! I was snarking with the Okuda crack...
The TOS example is easily explainable, due to the fact that the warp scale was recalibrate after the 23rd century. As far as the TNG reference, I'd have to know what episode to find out if there's any way to reconcile it.
They could be talking about the "future" parts of "All Good Things..." in which Riker orders the refitted Ent-D engaged at Warp 13. But since Picard resolved Q's time-travel paradox, whether this actually "happened" is open for debate. The whole thing could have been a series of hallucinations on Q's part...

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I thought that was referencing Where No One Has Gone Before, when the Traveller sent the Enterprise into another Galaxy.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Then they could also mean Q-Who, when Q sent the Enterprise to meet the Borg for the first time.

But these trips were made through "god"-like interference, and the speeds weren't attained by the ship's own engines. So do they count?

whisky

Boobie inspector
All good things would be the only one that actually mentions speeds higher than 10.

But they could have simply altered the scale again, putting back at TOS values.

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
Welcome Tryalatte!

At last, someone who actually knows something about Trek. These guys have been fooling me for years and frankly I have suspected them of talking crap for a while.

Keep up the good work!