Survivors (british version) and cultural difference

Donovan

beer, I want beer
One of the fun things about my new netflix toy is the discovery of programming I might never have seen. In the last week or so I've been watching an excellent british "Lost" style drama called "Survivors" about the last of humanity following a superflu extinction event. The show itself is solid and well written, and the multiple characters show facets American characters often lack. Characters are good and bad all at once, favorites make horrible selfish decisions, and bad guys occasionally act with compassion and depth.

But one striking difference occurs to me with regard to British programming: the aversion to any form of violence. There is a badass character who secretly was a robber/murderer before the flu; in American tv that'd barely be a footnote, and might actually make him cooler. But for the Brits it's this huge social stigma that they spend endless amounts of time worrying about.

At another point, this same badass is called on to defend the little group from attacking thugs. He does so, then after the others leave he gets the upper hand and shoots one of them, then tells the other to go back and let the baddies know that any other attackers will get shot.

In British tv this is a major arc that takes up two seasons, while his compatriots are all angsty and conflicted, the baddies are obsessed with revenge, and there is a huge uproar over whether or not the attacking thug deserved to die once the badass character had him beaten. Two. Seasons.

You know what they call a thug getting capped by a badass in American tv? Opening credits. Seriously. Hell, they should be glad I wasn't in that show, there was a whole list of people I would have shot. Even a couple of the good guys, just because they were annoying. By the end of the first commercial break it would've been a show about just me, wandering around the British countryside shooting street signs. And the occasional stray dog.

The funny thing is, I have no idea if I should be disturbed by my violent mindset or not; it is after all how my country works. I'm considered peaceful here...but it's a good show anyway.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Well it would probably be consierably more violent if it was on Channel 4.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
I don't know the difference, I just know everything about the whole incident and the responses to it were very foreign-feeling to my jaded "shoot all them fuckers" eyes, almost alien. Have you seen the show at all?

CaptainWacky

I've never watch Survivors, no. Fuddlemiff has.

But yeah, there's that general rule about americans being more willing to show violence and being prudish about sex whereas Europeans are the opposite way.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Yeah, I quite enjoy this show, though in the second season every episode seemed to boil down to "X has been abducted. Y and Z rescue him/her".

When it comes to Tom (I think that's his name?), they never really said what he did, but I guess he's a murderer, or bank robber who killed a security guard. I find the other characters' reactions to him a bit annoying, and I'm a peace loving Brit myself. Fact is, there are people who try to steal their supplies or kill them every week and Tom's the only one who really has the balls to do what's necessary. He shouldn't have to keep resorting to euphemisms or lying about whether he offed the attackers. Nine times out of 10 he should be praised. It's not like he goes around killing innocent women and kids. Still, it adds an interesting bit of conflict. These characters have been unfamiliar with violence in their day to day lives, are used to expressing disgust at it and are now torn between abhorring his actions and being thankful. You'd think they would've got over it after two seasons, though.

Have you seen every episode? There was a spoilery thing I liked in the final episode of S2.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
Yeah, I quite enjoy this show, though in the second season every episode seemed to boil down to "X has been abducted. Y and Z rescue him/her".

When it comes to Tom (I think that's his name?), they never really said what he did, but I guess he's a murderer, or bank robber who killed a security guard.
He said as much in the trial episode
I find the other characters' reactions to him a bit annoying, and I'm a peace loving Brit myself. Fact is, there are people who try to steal their supplies or kill them every week and Tom's the only one who really has the balls to do what's necessary. He shouldn't have to keep resorting to euphemisms or lying about whether he offed the attackers. Nine times out of 10 he should be praised. It's not like he goes around killing innocent women and kids. Still, it adds an interesting bit of conflict. These characters have been unfamiliar with violence in their day to day lives, are used to expressing disgust at it and are now torn between abhorring his actions and being thankful. You'd think they would've got over it after two seasons, though.

Have you seen every episode? There was a spoilery thing I liked in the final episode of S2.
I just watched the last episode of season two today. I love netflix lol.

I agree about the overreactions to Tom (Yeah that's the guy) being constantly castigated for what amounts to preserving his and his friends' lives. Especially when they don't seem to have a problem utilizing him when things get ugly. Reminds me of Lost's Sawyer character in that way: "We hate that you're such a mean and violent man and we may throw you out again tomorrow, but if you wouldn't mind torturing this fellow for us today? There's a good lad."
I liked season 2 a bit better only for the steady flow of action and less angsty moments of "my whole family's dead". Just a bit quicker paced. The Sara episode with the second outbreak was really sad and well done. And the last episode was I guess violently satisfying for my yankee self lol.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I liked that they didn't reunite Abbey with her son until the final episode of season two. If I'd had to have placed a bet, I would've guessed they'd pop their cork early and do that about halfway through season 1.

I'd forgotten about Sarah. That was quite a brave thing to do, I suppose, but at the same time, they were probably thankful to get rid of a character that never really had much direction.

Seems the show has been cancelled now. Poop. :(

Donovan

beer, I want beer
I liked that they didn't reunite Abbey with her son until the final episode of season two. If I'd had to have placed a bet, I would've guessed they'd pop their cork early and do that about halfway through season 1.

I'd forgotten about Sarah. That was quite a brave thing to do, I suppose, but at the same time, they were probably thankful to get rid of a character that never really had much direction.

Seems the show has been cancelled now. Poop. :(

Aw, damn. Well, I guess if they had to cancel it they did it in good spot. The kid is back, the vaccine is on its way to the people who will make more, and most of the plotlines were resolved. But I was really enjoying it...

CaptainWacky

Okay, so this new "Outcasts" show the BBC are advertising seems to be the exact same show as "Survivors". How do they differ IF AT ALL?

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I think it might be set on some sort of prison planet, but yeah, it does look very similar. The main female character is even searching for her lost child.

Really good cast, though.

CaptainWacky

Jamie Bamber's in it but not in the adverts?

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
He's in some of the ads. There are quite a lot of them, it seems. The Beeb uploads a few more on Youtube every few days. It'll be nice to see Jamie Bamber in a scifi show, even if it'll probably disappear after a season like so many other ones that the BBC have made over the years. "Strange"... the timecop thing with the guy from Holby City... that other timecop one last year with the solar flares and Tamsin Outhwaite. And Survivors.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
I think it might be set on some sort of prison planet, but yeah, it does look very similar. The main female character is even searching for her lost child.

Really good cast, though.

So what we should take from this is that no matter what the apocalyptic circumstances, Brits can be counted on to be civilized humans and piss-poor parents? Somewhere as we speak somebody is developing a series for British television about this guy who suddenly finds himself saddled with every missing kid from every other series. The weekly episodes are basically him and all the kids living quietly while they wait for the heroic leads of the other programs to finally show up and claim their kids. They could call it "Lost and Foundlings".

CaptainWacky

Was it not called CRIME TRAVELLER or something? I remember me and my sister making fun of it for years.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
That sounds about right. His bedroom was a time machine. That sort of thing made sense in the '90s.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Donovan, if you can somehow acquire it, I think you would like a show from the 70s called "the flip side of Dominic Hyde"

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
The Max Beeseley (sp?) character (Tom) in Survivors has been very accurately critiqued here by Donovan.

I was actually expecting the traditional - ACTUALLY EVERYONE HE WAS INNOCENT, but had to kill the guy because he had a trigger about to blow up a group of children, but he never said a thing cos some other children in a warehouse somewhere would have died type thing.