TASKMASTER

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Series 12 has been really great so far. Victoria Coren Mitchell learning to ride a bike was an experience and then watching her solve the cipher whilst Alan Davies didn't do much of anything was another one entirely (she's hot.)

The rest of the panel is all really strong as well. There isn't a single weak link in the cast this series. IT'S WORTH WATCHING IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you...I caught some episodes of a later series then went back to series 1 to watch from the start. It's a thing I'll put on when there's nothing else on and I don't want to watch something to viewer intensive. It's very easy to do this now thanks to modern television technology! So yeah, after years of you SUBTLY mentioning it to me, I'm finally watching.

It's good you like Victoria Coren Mitchell! I've liked her on Only Connect for over ten years(!)

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
It’s great seeing Morgana as well, who’s almost as cooks as her characters. Shame she’s not scoring very well.

I like how Victoria Coren Mitchell (VCM?) always tries to find the clever loopholes. I can imagine her and David watching it at home debating the other options she could’ve taken.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Taskmaster is always one of those shows that I see has been out for a bit and then sort of forget about before remembering how much I enjoy it and then end up counting days until the next episode. It's crazy that it's been so consistent over the years.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
It’s great seeing Morgana as well, who’s almost as cooks as her characters. Shame she’s not scoring very well.

I like how Victoria Coren Mitchell (VCM?) always tries to find the clever loopholes. I can imagine her and David watching it at home debating the other options she could’ve taken.

Morgana is fantastic. Very strong lineup this year.

CaptainWacky

I never gave it a chance when it started becausae I was so fucking burned out on all those British comedy panel shows (is 8 out of 10 Cats STILL a thing!?) and I wrongly assumed all the people I found annoying on those shows would be on it being annoying. But the format is such that they probably wouldn't be allowed to be annyoing in the way I found them annoying (I can't fucking write.) And really the line up of the first series is pretty solid though I SUSPECT the show refines itself as it goes (for example, Alex doesn't show much personality in the first series but from the later stuff I've seen he's more comfortable.)

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
How is a flapjack a cake?
I'm with you but some Google-Fu brings up a .gov site and apparently this has had some actual thought put into it based on VAT.

It is our policy that there is a difference between flapjacks and cereal bars. This policy development arose because, at the inception of VAT, flapjacks were widely accepted as cakes, and cereal bars were not widely available, if at all. Flapjacks were accepted as being a cake of common perception and widespread home-baking, not because of any specific reasoning behind such factors as their recipe, ingredients or the manufacturing process.

However, since that time, the difference between flapjacks and cereal bars has narrowed due to the development of cereal bars and their current proliferation on the market. The amendment to the law in 1988 was made to bring products, particularly cereal bars, within the scope of the standard rate by defining confectionery as sweetened items of prepared food normally eaten with the fingers. As a result cereal bars were standard-rated as long as they are sweetened.

The problem that has arisen is that a flapjack is, historically, accepted as a cake, but should probably now be categorized as a cereal bar, and therefore standard-rated, within the legislation.### VAT treatment of flapjacks

We therefore define flapjack narrowly, as it is intended to only apply to that product as it was at the inception of VAT. We allow the zero-rating of standard flapjacks along with minor variations, for example when ingredients like dried fruit, raisins, chocolate chips etc are added. We view the addition of toppings similarly, such as with a layer of chocolate or yoghurt.

We draw the line between flapjacks and cereal bars at any alteration to a flapjack that takes it into the category of being a cereal bar. We interpret this with our policy that a traditional flapjack consists solely of oats. The addition of other cereals to the product turns it into a cereal bar, as it is no longer a traditional flapjack.

It is difficult to draw a borderline between the two products, as flapjacks could easily be viewed as cereal bars. However, the above policy is, we believe, fair and reasonable while being consistent with the law and with the development of the policy since the inception of VAT.

CaptainWacky

Still watching the OLD YEARS so can't comment on Taskmaster but I HAVE been watching new Q.I. (from whenever I remembered to record the series) with my dinner lately so here are some thoughts on comedians I don't find funny.

James Acaster. I know he's super popular with young people. I don't get it AT ALL. All he does is talk in a stupid voice. That's it. He's not saying anything clever, he's just using a stupid voice. (I think it's his real voice, but still.) He was talking away and I was just sitting there stone-faced but the other panelists were WHOOPING AND HOLLERING with laughter at everything. Does he have rich parents or something? (Sorry if Menty or Fuddle are big fans lol.)
John Barrowman. Look, I'm more tolerant of Barrowman than most (possibly because he's never flashed me) but holy shit he nearly ruined the episode. Kept saying "YASS QUEEN" to every question despite it being completely unfunny. Then eventually had it flash up on the screen behind him as a predicted wrong answer. Also looks weird with white hair.
Jason Manford. Must be the luckiest motherfucker in comedy. Literally just a bloke someone found in a pub and put on tv. Nothing against him but anyone could do what he does.

Positive comment: Alice Levine.

Last edited:

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Thanks for putting in the research, Menty. I’m surprised they didn’t do that on the show. It’d be a very Mitchell family hill to die on!

No, I don’t find James Acaster very funny either. A few jokes here and there, but 90% of his appeal seems to be how odd he is and you either like it or you don’t. I find it less and less funny the longer I’m exposed to it.

CaptainWacky

Never liked Jon Richardson much either for the same reason, though I'm finding him perfectly fine on Taskmaster series 2 which again speaks to the strength of its winning format.

CaptainWacky

Still watching old episodes when I have nothing else to watch. Sara Pascoe's trousers were surprisingly good.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Still watching old episodes when I have nothing else to watch. Sara Pascoe's trousers were surprisingly good.
The black skintight ones? I agree.

Series 3 ranks really high. Al Murray throwing money at every problem and Paul Chowdhry just being Paul Chowdry.

Al Murray loves Taskmaster so much that he constantly tries to find ways to be involved with the show to this day. He's a regular on the podcast, does press and advertising for them and even has quite a few cameos in future series.

CaptainWacky

When does it go TRAGICALLY DOWNHILL?

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
When Limmy finally agrees to go on.

CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky

Think I had just started series 5 (have been watching other things.) Bob Mortimer and Sally Phillips are great, Nish Kumar's constant SCREECHING VOICE and laugh not so much (I don't hate him as a person just how he sounds, okay.)

CaptainWacky

^Finished 5 at last, pleased to see Bob win as he's a top bloke. Sally having sex with the water cooler awakened something in me. Probably the best series so far. But Nish constantly shouting "SHIT AND PISS" just burned right through me. It's an autism thing.

Series 6: Alice Levine is the best looking girl to be on the show yet, but generally seems like a much weaker line-up.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Series 5 was a strong one from memory, yeah. This moment has stuck with me.

50dozmgf9l361.jpg

Series 6 I can barely remember so not one of the more memorable series for me.