Torchwood: Miracle Gay... er, Day

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
WHAT'S THAT NOISE? IS IT THE SOUND OF EXPLOSIONS? IS IT THE SOUND OF EXPLOSIONS AND FUCKING SEX SEX FUCKING SEX.

Probably, because Torchwood's back.

Starting tonight (THE 8TH) on Starz in the US and next Thursday (THE 14TH) in the UK, Torchwood's gone all American on us. The trouble is that, well, Torchwood isn't very good! Usually! Sometimes!

The good:
Children of Earth was very good. So maybe this will be to!
There's some actual proper writers writing things this time. Jane Espenson! We all know her! She's cool!
No Chris Chibnall! He wrote 'Cyberwoman', and that was shit!
Um... it's on Starz so... I guess... nudity?

The Bad:
It's still Torchwood.
Russell T. Davies is still writing things.
Torchwood, it still is.

IMPORTANT:
For reasons that literally no one understands, the Starz version of the episodes and the BBC version WILL BE DIFFERENT. And it's not just that one version has stuff cut out.

Starz will get one version of the episode which will have certain scenes (stuff like nudity, I expect) exclusive to the Starz version.
BBC will get a different version of the episode, where instead of the Starz version it will get other extra scenes not seen in the US.

What this of course means is that no one actually gets a full episode.

I just don't know why.

Also there's like an animated webisode thing I guess but, well, 'webisode'.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Torchwood is so hit and miss as it is that I could never truly "look forward" to it. Not really. But the glossy American side of things is putting me off even more. The main problem with Torchwood is that it's usually quite a vacuous, sex obsessed, all-style-and-no-substance kind of show and what does the trailer indicate its move to the US has afforded it? Yes. More explosions, sex, and general all-style-and-no-substanceyness.

US dramas can be the best in the business, but it looks more as though we'll see the trashy, CSI:Miami side of things. Oh and a child molester.

Hopefully wrong!

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I'm going to make myself watch it. I watched an episode or two before, probably on BBCA or something, and I just didn't like it. I will watch this at least THREE times, if I still hate it after the 3rd episode I will quit AND NEVER LOOK BACK. (unless you are behind me)

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
We ended up watching The Human Centipede and Waxwork instead. Forgot about Miracle Day.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I watched it, and it was actually pretty good! Kinda violent and icky sometimes, but NOT A SINGLE BREAST.

Of course the American CIA guy is portrayed as a loud obnoxious twat.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I watched it, and it was actually pretty good! Kinda violent and icky sometimes, but NOT A SINGLE BREAST.

Of course the American CIA guy is portrayed as a loud obnoxious twat.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Yeah... it was... alright.

I mean it wasn't bad like Torchwood usually is. It was alright! I guess!

Um.

It definitely felt like an American show though. Which, I guess, is because it is.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I liked the parts with Gwen and the blond chick the best (separately cuz most of their scenes were separate but then they were also good when they were together OR SOMETHING). Anyway, those two were my favorites.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
I mean there were things that I liked. The 'no one died at all' premise is interesting, and they did actually do interesting things with it (like the creepy burnt headless guy).

The CIA guy was just written really strangely. Either he's supposed to be an insane over the top character or this is what RTD thinks American hard-ass characters are like (it's probably that). Also the scene where it looks like he gets from the US to Wales in about 20 minutes was a bit strange.

If that make Jack not immortal then that would be fantastic because that was always pretty stupid.

You can tell it was an episode written by Russell T. Davies because there were DRAMATIC CLOSE UPS OF NEWSREADERS LIPS.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
I mean there were things that I liked. The 'no one died at all' premise is interesting, and they did actually do interesting things with it (like the creepy burnt headless guy).

The CIA guy was just written really strangely. Either he's supposed to be an insane over the top character or this is what RTD thinks American hard-ass characters are like (it's probably that). Also the scene where it looks like he gets from the US to Wales in about 20 minutes was a bit strange.

If that make Jack not immortal then that would be fantastic because that was always pretty stupid.

You can tell it was an episode written by Russell T. Davies because there were DRAMATIC CLOSE UPS OF NEWSREADERS LIPS.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Yeah, the CIA guy seems so much the stereotype of the rude American. I kept thinking, wow they really think Americans are like that in general? I'm sure there are obnoxious people all over the world!

Is it OK to think Gwen is kinda hot? CUZ I DO.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Gwen is hot until she opens her mouth and you see the gap between her two front teeth that is a VORTEX OF DOOM.

But previously in Torchwood she had terrible hair which she doesn't any more!

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Is the pedo guy supposed to be part of Torchwood eventually, or is he going to be the villain?

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
Watched it last night. It was pretty decent. The guy CIA agent is annoying as fuck, though. And I thought Gwen would have gotten her teeth fixed with all that free time.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I thought it was kinda silly that they let the pedo dude out of prison after the failed execution. If something like that occurred the person would end up spending years trying to get out, not what seemed to be days. BUT I guess all shows have to squeak some unrealistic things in to serve the plot.

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
Did Gwen's boyfriend mope around a lot and feel sorry for himself? I do hope so, as I am a purist about these things.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
He was kinda mopey and whiny. LET'S GO BACK TO WALES, GWEN. YOU PROMISED, GWEN, GIMME A TIT, GWEN.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
lol, really? Rees is in it? I'd expect them to replace him with a CGI slimmed down version for the US market.