Untitled- For the moment

Mandi

This is the prologue to one of my random ideas that I’ve been working on for a couple months. Who knows how many times I’ve re-written it or if I’ll re-write it again?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Throughout the ages we have existed; hiding from those who hunt us. We are Vampires. Forever we have been hunted by the human death squads, since the dawning of time they have chased us down and slaughtered our kind. We are not the only ones they seek to destroy, just as long as they have been hunting us, they have chased the Werewolves. And while the humans pursue both of our kind, we have fought amongst ourselves. Weres and Vampires battled against each other for dominance and for places of hiding. The battles were fierce and we slowly killed each other off. Our numbers were small, and suffering plagued us all. Then at the turn of the 19th century the leaders of our kinds made a treaty, a cease fire between the Weres and Vampires. We united and went underground. We built a city for all to live in peace and safety from the death squads. For centuries we lived together, fought together and flourished together. Other cities were built and our populations grew. Our underground metropolis had become so large that we covered the whole span of London. We co-existed for many years until we were found, betrayed to the humans. By whom we still don’t know. They invaded our underground world, slaughtering millions and destroying our homes. Now we are nothing but a small group, hiding from the death squads. Many fled, many died, and a small few of us stayed. It is left to us to gather our forces and to battle against our death, to make a place for us to live in safety once again, to destroy those who seek our downfall.

I am Lena and I am a Vampire. This is the story of the battle for our freedom.

Mandi

Ok, right here is where I get into trouble. I can't think of how to launch from the prologue. I know how the plot goes, but I don't know how to begin it! :rwmad: Oh and i'm changing my vampires name. She is now Mara!

Caitriona

Something Wicked
Sardonica said:
Okay... and this is just advice to take or leave (there's no hard and fast rule about this). But you've given us the setting and back-history. Now, take a character--probably your protagonist--put him/her in an interesting situation (that may not be a part of your bigger picture or even a main plot point) and just write... use the opportunity to have funny with an interesting situation and to get to know your character... and don't worry about the "big picture"...

Yes, I like to write like this too... plunge the character into a situation to reveal who he/she is; to introduce 'who' the character is through the action. It doesn't have to be related to the plot at all, just some interesting and character revealing situation that colorizes the world and the character. Once the character is 'known', and hopefully liked by the reader, you can then take him/her on his journey in the world you've created.

Edited to add: think of your own life and take an isolated incident.. waiting in line at the grocery store, or shopping, or any mundane thing in life. Write about your character in a relatively mundane situation. Let him/her just 'be'.

I once wrote some fan-fic of sorts for the Andromeda Universe, except I made up my own characters in that universe. I introduced my female protagonist, by having her just be on her space ship.. looking for a a slip stream portal.. I introduced her swearing because she couldn't find one.. the beginning scenes were all of her alone in her ship.. how she acted, what she thought.. I used it all just to introduce her and her attitudes and life.

It had nothing to do with the plot at all, but made her real to the reader before I began the story. It's a very effective way to write, and can engage the reader right away... which is of course what you want. You want the reader to want to find out what happens to these characters.. ;)

Mandi

Ok, I've changed some things. I deleted the werewolves, and changed the plot a bit. So this is the revised prologue and chapter one. I still don't have a title yet...i'll think of something eventually.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Throughout the ages we have existed; hiding from those who hunt us. We are Vampires. Forever we have been hunted by the humans, since the dawning of time they have chased us down and slaughtered our kind. Our numbers grew smaller, and suffering plagued us. Then at the turn of the 19th century we went underground. We built a city for all to live in peace and safety from the death squads. For centuries we lived together, fought together and flourished together. Other cities were built and our populations grew. Our underground metropolis had become so large that we covered the whole span of London. We lived in hiding for many years until we were found, betrayed to the humans. By whom we still don’t know. They invaded our underground world, slaughtering millions and destroying our homes. Now we are nothing but a small group, hiding from the death squads. Many fled, many died, and a small few of us stayed. It is left to us to gather our forces and to battle against our death, to make a place for us to live in safety once again, to destroy those who seek our downfall.

I am Mara and I am a Vampire. This is the story of the battle for our freedom.

Chapter 1

I can still hear her screaming, “Mara, run! Don’t look back, just go!” I can hear her screaming as they took her down and rammed the stake through her heart. She was my mother, the one who made me. Her name was Lilith. She saved me when my family was attacked by robbers on the way home from my grandmother’s house in Canterbury. I watched, cowering in the corner, as they stole my father’s money and raped my mother. Then they shot them. They turned to shoot me, but a woman appeared from behind and sunk her teeth into the neck of one. “Vampire,” gasped one of them men. The rest of the pack fled, and the woman was gone. I had not seen her move, just the body crumple to the ground as she released him. I sat there, huddled in my mother’s cloak, crying. As night fell, I realized I was hungry, but I didn’t dare move for fear that the robbers would come back to kill me as they had my parents. I curled up in a ball in the carriage and fell asleep. I awoke when someone picked me up; it was the woman who had attacked the robbers. I was shocked by her beauty. She had ivory skin, eyes as green as the pastures, and long fire red hair. She wore a simple black dress and a small silver cross around her neck. “What is your name,” she asked.
“Mara,” I replied in a whisper.
She smiled, “Mara that is a beautiful name. I am Lilith, and would you like to come with me?”
“Yes ma’am,” I answered.

A strange man had appeared at her side. “Drakko, you will drive us,” she told him. He nodded, and climbed to the drivers’ seat of the carriage. We climbed back into the carriage and I feel asleep in her arms as we swayed. I was with her from that moment on. I was seven at that time.

“Mara! Mara, I asked you if you wanted something.
“What,” I asked. “Sorry Drakko, I was just thinking.
Drakko, the same man who was there the night my parents died was there now with his short blond hair, blue eyes, and devilish grin. After Lilith was killed he took me in. Being a thousand years older than I, he knew so much more and taught me the things I needed to survive.
“Thinking about Lilith again,” he asked.
I nodded
“I’ve got just the thing for you, come with me.”
We went into the back, when he opened the door I saw a little boy. Blond hair, eyes of blue filled with fear. He couldn’t have been more than six. I recognized him immediately.
“This is the little boy; he’s the one who’s been all over the human news isn’t he?”
His smile broadened, “The one and the same. Honestly Mara, why do you pay attention to the blood-bags news?”
“I like to stay informed,” I answered abruptly, “Now why do you have this little boy?”
He laughed loud and deep, “I got him for you!”
I felt my temper rise, “Damn you Drakko! You know I don’t hunt children. Its vamps like that who gives the rest of us a bad name!”
The child whimpered, Drakko walked over to him and placed his ivory hand on the boys’ small head. “So I give vampires a bad name?”
I could feel the anger inside me. I bared my teeth, “I’m leaving. I can’t talk to you.” I turned to walk out the door and in a moment he was in front of me. The little boy screamed, to his human eyes Drakko had disappeared and then reappeared.
“You take him in that sweet little way of yours,” he demanded as he placed his hand upon my cheek, “or I’ll take him my way, right here right now. And you know how ugly my way is.”
I reached back to smack him, but he caught my hand before I could touch him. “Mara, Mara, Mara. You forget, I can read you like a book,” he taunted.
“I loathe you,” I spat, “I won’t take that boy!”
I pushed passed him and went out of the bar onto the street. I turned and read the sign Strix. It was Drakko’s bar; he had very close contacts with people in parliament. He'd been black mailing certain members with photos of their late night escapades to keep the bar running, and his customers protected. Strix was one of the few places that vampires could still meet together in safety. I walked over to my motorcycle and climbed on. I kicked it to life and sped down the road home. Home, it was home up until the time we went underground. It was the place I had been born in, died in, and rose again in. Lilith decided that it would be the best place for me. The beautiful mansion that my parents and I had lived in for seven years became the home of Lilith and her coven. That entire coven was gone now, killed during The Great Raid. All except Drakko, Wendel and I. After the raid all three of us returned to this house. Drakko, who was extremely rich in life, bought it and we made it home. I pulled into the drive and climbed up the stairs as I reached for the knob the door whipped open and there was Wendel. I looked at him and rushed to hug him.
“What did he do this time?”
“He exists,” I whimpered.
We walked into the parlor, and there was a fire in the fireplace. “Are we expecting Rebekkah tonight,” I asked. Bekkah was the only reason there was ever heat in the house. She was a human; her family had been working for Lilith for centuries, handling all money and legal issues, and delivering messages to other covens.
“Aye, she’s just back from Stonehenge handling that nasty business with Gabriel. To think, he had the nerve to try and lay claim over the coven,” he snorted as he poured himself a brandy. “Brandy?”
“Why do you drink that,” I teased.
He grinned, “I might be a vampire, but I am still an English gentleman. My laugh was still echoing in the room when the doorbell rang. “I’ll get it.”
I opened the door and let in Rebekkah. “Mara, it’s so good to see you again! I’ve missed you,” she said sheepishly. Bekkah was a beautiful girl; she had black hair past her waist, and bright blue eyes. She liked to dress as we did, black leather pants, black corset and a black leather jacket. She was perfect, and I had always had a crush on her. I lead her into the parlor, where Wendel kissed her on the cheek and offered her brandy.
“How was the trip,” asked Wendell.
As she answered I began to think of the predicament she had just returned from taking care of. Gabriel, a vampire who had fought bitterly with Lilith before The Great Raid had recently tried to claim the coven and consequently our home. Rebekkah traveled to Stonehenge to make sure that there was no way he would get either.
“So,” I asked, “how much damage has he done to the bank book?” Knowing that Gabriel was not only ruthless, but also greedy I knew had had asked for money.
She sighed, “Two million pounds.”
“What!” Wendel and I both yelled.
“How could he ask for that much,” I fumed.
“I’m sorry, I tried to talk him down,” she said, hurt. “He said that if I didn’t give him that amount he would come back with me tonight and stake all of us. I didn’t know what else to do.”
Wendell put his hand on her arm, “Bekkah dear, we aren’t angry with you. It’s him we’re furious with. You did what you were sent there to do, and we appreciate it.”
“He’s right,” I added, “I’m angry at that greedy rat bastard and I have a mind to go there tonight and show him just how angry I am.”
“No, you can’t,” said Rebekkahs fearful voice, “It’s almost dawn, you wouldn’t make it.”
“I know; I’m just angry. I wouldn’t actually do it; Gabriel is a century older than I am. That makes him a lot more powerful than I,” I said. “It’s almost dawn, we should get to bed. Goodnight Wendy, Bekkah.” I went up the spiral marble staircase up to my room, the same room I’d had as a little girl, redecorated of course. The windows were boarded up, and the walls painted deep red. My linens and furniture were black, and a full length mirror hung on the wall opposite my bed. I could never get used to coffins, even dead coffins scared me. So I owned a king sized bed instead. I walked into my room and tossed my jacket into the chair in the far corner and stopped in front of the mirror to consider the image. Contrary to popular myth, we can see our reflections. I examined my face, my shoulder length black hair, grey eyes, thin lips, and slender face. My body was slender and fit, medium sized breasts, and a round ass. Overall I was attractive, except for being dead.
“You look just like her you know,” said a voice, “just like your mother.”
“What do you want Drakko?”
He crossed the room and sat on the bed, “I just wanted to apologize for tonight. I was being a twat.” My look of shock made him laugh. “I know I never apologize,” he said as he stood up and put his arms around my waist. “But I hate seeing you upset. I want you to know that I took that little boy back home, untouched,” he added.
I smiled at him, and he bent his head down and kissed me. His kisses were deep and passionate, and afterwards you felt like you had been drugged. When he pulled away I had to stead myself against the wall. “Sun’s almost up, you should go to your coffin now,” I said shakily.
He laughed and again, and kissed my forehead. “Yes, Mara. I’m going, see you in the night.” And with that he left the room. He turned at the door and looked at me, “I love you Mara,” and disappeared down the hall. I took off my clothes and climbed between the black satin sheets on my bed, hearing his voice echo in my ear. “I love you,” If I had known then that those would be the last words I’d hear from him, I would have said it back. I lay there for only a moment, and then fell into a dreamless slumber.

Mandi

wow, no opinions or constructive critisism. That's either good or bad.........

The Question

Eternal
Okay, a couple of things I noticed:

Anachronism: Although it's difficult to be certain, I would guess by your having attired the protagonist's mother in a cloak and used (presumably horse-drawn) carriage as transportation that you're placing the flashback scene in the 19th century at the latest. You might want to consider having her parents knifed rather than shot (Daddy first, of course, then have them do the mother as she's trying to protect the little girl.) Makes it all the more personal, avoids even the most remote possibility of comparison to the Batman origin story, and provides even stronger emotional impetus for the protagonist to cling to and bond with the vampire who saves her.

Language: I'd guess this is what you're researching? There are two ways you can go with this that I can see right off the top of my head -- sprinkle a few "Britishisms" into the dialogue and narrative (since you're going with first-person, the way your protagonist speaks will be the way she narrates, as well.) or have her change locales to America.

Mandi

Both good ideas. I didn't notice the first one...but good eye.

As for the second one, i've been having problems with the language. To me the story seems to fit into London, but I like the way they speak. So I need to figure that out. But after all, it is just a rough draft. Thanks Danny :bigass:

eloisel

Forever Empress E
Interesting that the older a vampire is the more powerful they are. Since Gabriel is more powerful than Mara because he is 100 years older than she, then Drakko, being a thousand years older, should be more powerful than Gabriel. Why did Drakko allow Gabriel to make the demands?

I like the love/hate relationship between Mara and Drakko too. Might play that up a bit before killing him off. As it is, the affection for Wendell and Rebekkah distracts from the relationship between Drakko and Mara.

The clothing - black leather pants, black corset, black jacket - a bit too much of a rip off of other gothic vampire stories. While it is a good idea to keep some familiarity due to the genre, it is nice to see some vampires with style once in awhile. I think that is one of the things that made Lestat (Anne Rice's vampire) compelling is that he had some flamboyance about him.

At some places, it is confusing as to what is happening. The mother is staked then the mother is shot within a hairs breadth without knowing Mara is speaking of two different persons. When Drakko says Mara looks just like her mother, which mother is he referring to? And, the business about the mansion - it was Mara's parents, then Lilith's, then Drakko purchased it. It would seem to me there would have been inheritance there from Mara's parents to her, without need for anyone to purchase it.

Why does the story have to be set in London? In colonial times, Americans traveled in coaches, wore cloaks, and carriages were waylaid by brigands on the road. A setting in New England would still give you that English feel, give the characters a history in America, and help with the language problems. Lots of mist in the New England countryside - makes for great atmosphere.

Mandi

eloisel said:
Interesting that the older a vampire is the more powerful they are. Since Gabriel is more powerful than Mara because he is 100 years older than she, then Drakko, being a thousand years older, should be more powerful than Gabriel. Why did Drakko allow Gabriel to make the demands?
In the end you'll find out why Wendel doesn't stop Gabriel.

eloisel said:
I like the love/hate relationship between Mara and Drakko too. Might play that up a bit before killing him off. As it is, the affection for Wendell and Rebekkah distracts from the relationship between Drakko and Mara.
The affection for Wendel and Bekka is an important part of the story. As it is, alot of the story is played out in flash backs.

eloisel said:
The clothing - black leather pants, black corset, black jacket - a bit too much of a rip off of other gothic vampire stories. While it is a good idea to keep some familiarity due to the genre, it is nice to see some vampires with style once in awhile. I think that is one of the things that made Lestat (Anne Rice's vampire) compelling is that he had some flamboyance about him.
Each coven dresses differently, Gabriels coven dresses older. Some wear regular street clothes. It's part of the identification of what coven they belong to, at least in this story.

eloisel said:
And, the business about the mansion - it was Mara's parents, then Lilith's, then Drakko purchased it. It would seem to me there would have been inheritance there from Mara's parents to her, without need for anyone to purchase it.
When the covens went underground the property was bought by a human, Drakko had to buy it back so they could live there.

eloisel said:
Why does the story have to be set in London? In colonial times, Americans traveled in coaches, wore cloaks, and carriages were waylaid by brigands on the road. A setting in New England would still give you that English feel, give the characters a history in America, and help with the language problems. Lots of mist in the New England countryside - makes for great atmosphere.
It seemed to me to fit better.

The Question

Eternal
Sparkle Muffin said:
In the end you'll find out why Wendel doesn't stop Gabriel.

You might want to throw a few words in to tip the reader off that that information's coming at some point. Maybe a line like, "We're going to discuss this later" or something to that effect.

Mandi

I've already done that in the second chapter:bigass: Ya'll will just have to wait in suspense til I finish it

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
^Well hurry up then! <wg>

Just kidding. Great job, though.

Mandi

Gah, i'm stuck! Dammit! I haven't been able to write on this stupid thing since January......this happens all the time.

Blindgroping

U mad 'bro?
TQ has a great program for getting a story moving. Ask him for it.

Blindgroping

U mad 'bro?
Yeah, he gavi it to me because I have a few story ideas. Undeveloped story ideas.