Used Books: Icky?

Mirah

I love you
I am looking to buy a couple of books that are no longer in production. I need to buy them used. For some reason that just grosses me out. Does anyone else feel the same way?

I would much rather prefer to buy a book new and spend the money doing so. I don't want a book that has somone else's greasy hand marks all over it.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
On the contrary. I love old books, the older the better. There is something about the feel of an ancient volume that may not have been read for a hundred years or so that I just love.

Here is an absolutely true story. I went to an estate auction to pick up some old books, but there was so much foot traffic they had a "lottery system" for getting in the joint. So while I waited for my turn I browsed the garage, where old books of much lesser quality were boxed. I was just killing time flipping pages (I like to find old bookmarks and the occasional old money in books.) In the flyleaf of an old psalm book I found a handwritten letter of about six pages, dated I think 1894. As I read the note, which was apparently from a teenaged girl to her distant friend/cousin or something, I began to realize she was detailing a promised account of the loss of her virginity. The story concerned a much older man staying at her mother's boarding house, whom this Lolita seduced with the intent of losing her flower to him.

The language of the letter, the descriptions of the entire act, were so hilarious I was laughing out loud in the garage. Of course I bought it, I think for a dollar or so, with the pages secreted inside, and I still have them today.

I'm not sure where I put them, but I will look for them and transcribe them on the board in their entirety.

But to answer your question, I will say that I have found so many cool things in old books over the years that I am almost addicted to buying them...

Mirah

I love you
I get that. I don't mind buying an old book in a book store, when I can see the wear myself. But I feel wierd about buying a book online. Especially when I know what I am using it for-it will be like a text book for me and will go with me everywhere.

Perhaps I am just wierd.

Kitty

Sinless and Purrfect
I love used books. Besides being cheaper, the binding has already been stretched, so it's easier to hold the book open single-handedly (soft cover). Yellowish pages totally rule over white ones.

If you're thinking of buying used naughty books..... I wouldn't and suggest nobody do so either. Germy.

Mirah

I love you
I rarely bought my school books used. We usually had new editions each year. I prefer to make my own highlights and notes in my books.

I am not looking for a naughty book Kitty. But it does gross me out-I mean people read books in the bathroom, in bed, on the couch while eating a hot fudge sundae.

Kitty

Sinless and Purrfect
I see your point. People have their fingers all over the pages, transferring naturals oils and whatever else they've been touching over the course of the day. If it bothers you to have some stranger's used book cuddled up in your lap, then buy your books new. The peace of mind would be worth a slightly higher price tag.

Kitty

Sinless and Purrfect
That I did. What book? Even out of production for years, sometimes you can get lucky and find it new if you search hard enough.

Have you also considered reading it as an e-book? I don't like reading novels from a computer screen, but you might not mind it.

Love Child

One Love
One is a cook book, I think I just found that one new, the other is a health related book-I've never bought anything from Amazon before. I would rather have the bookstore order it and pick it up there.

Kitty

Sinless and Purrfect
Amazon is a great resource once you get used to it. Most of the time, you can find books there cheaper than your local book stores. I've found things on Amazon that weren't currently on eBay at the time I was searching.

Robert "Monkey" Loggia

Mongoloid Biscuit Beast
I hate when you have a library book, and there is a mark on the page that either looks like someone wiped a booger or wiped their ass on it.

ThatSunrise

Likes house centipedes
Sometimes they smell awful. But the monetary difference is enough to be ok with it... I recently bought a book for about $8 including S&H that retailed for over $60 new.

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
I worked in a used bookstore starting when I was 16, and absolutely loved it. I mean, if the books were icky, we just didn't take them, so you'll be okay. :)

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I just finished reading a book that had what I HOPE was mustard smeared on some of the pages.

Consumer

Elder Statesman
Do. Not. Buy. Used. Books. By. John Norman.

>EOM<

Seph

Retired Account
When you have their full attention in your grip, their hearts and minds will follow.