Why the Oscar Pistorius defence is bad for guns

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
Oscar Pistorius shot his girlfriend.

Lets ignore the following:

1. He recently let off a firearm in a restaurant by "snagging the safety" and the shot hit the floor inches from someones foot.
2. The police have been allegedly called to his house for "domestic incidents" before
3. There were reports of an arguement at the house the same night.

latest:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21503370

Anyway - his defence is basically he woke up and thought there was a burglar in the bathroom, so he got up, put his legs on and shot the burglar through the bathroom door.

So, let's say we ignore the normal thing to do - check (or tell) your girlfriend what you were about to do. Let's take it at face value.

Bit shit for gun lobbyists isn't it? If a national hero can fuck up with firearms and shoot his loved one, what about a run of the mill asshole?

kaonashi.shinu

Keeper of the Nether Eye
Forget national heros with firearms, the cops aren't doing that well recently in terms of gun violence. First the Dorner case, now the shooting in Cleveland.

Seph

Retired Account
1st Tiger Woods, then Lance Armstrong and now Oscar Pistorius. I think Nike should start telling their athletes "Just Don't Do It"

They sure know how to pick'em.

Seph

Retired Account
8577.imgcache.jpg

That can't be Oscar, look at the guys legs, it's a fix up I tell you.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I do beleive he did murder his girlfriend, but the fact that the cop in charge of the investiagtion is also up for murder, and seems to be changing his mind a lot on the details of the arrest could end up making this another OJ.

Mirah

I love you
Does anyone really shoot into a door, not knowing who is there? Really? I mean I am not a gun owner, so I don't know. But I would think...that if I were shooting a gun at someone-I would want to know who/what is my target.
Plus-it could have been a robber who had his gf or something. WTF. srsly. dude.

Seph

Retired Account
I think he knows who he shot as he shot her in the hip before she barricaded herself in the bathroom.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
South Africa's so fucked up.

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
[YOUTUBE]3EVzoolYugA[/YOUTUBE]

A new star witness is going to sort all this silly business out.

kaonashi.shinu

Keeper of the Nether Eye
Breaking news:

8579.imgcache.jpg

whisky

Boobie inspector
So his main defence appears to be, he simply murdered the wrong person, because when he shot wildly into the door until the person stopped screaming, he thought he was killing a burger?

Seph

Retired Account
he shot her in the hip in the bedroom before she barricaded herself in the bathroom where he let off 3 shots at the door, one hitting her thigh one hitting her head.

He knew who he was shooting.

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
Really Seph? I hadn't heard that there had been a shot prior to the bathroom. That would show up in blood / ballistics etc...

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
Aaah, apparently one of the bullet cases was found in the bedroom. This implies a shot was fired there.

Having said that, the way this defense is going they will probably prove that Oscar regularly fires his gun in his bedroom at 2am to "ward off the evil eye" or some shit and we will all nod and go PERFECTLY PLAUSIBLE!

whisky

Boobie inspector
Seems he got handled by the police fairly lightly, for some being arrested is much more of a drag.