Women's Tennis (International) -- News

MODMAN

Serena Williams to be inducted into National Women's Hall
international-tennis-federation-itf-logo-vector.png

of Fame

WTA Legend and 23-time major champion Serena Williams will be inducted into the National Women's Hall of Fame as part of the Class of 2024.

"The 2024 inductee class has broken barriers, challenged the status quo, and left an impact on history," the Hall of Fame said in its announcement.

Since the first ceremony in 1973, the National Women’s Hall of Fame has honored women who have made invaluable contributions to American society in a broad range of fields, including the arts, athletics, humanities, philanthropy, public service and STEM.

Click here for full story

MODMAN

Bejlek triumphs in Colina for first WTA 125 title of career

Unseeded Czech teenager Sara Bejlek took home the first WTA 125 title of her career on Sunday, storming past No.5 seed Diane Parry of France 6-2, 6-1 to win the LP Open by IND in Colina, Chile.

Bejlek, the 17-year-old left-hander currently ranked No.194, defeated 21-year-old Parry in 1 hour and 11 minutes to capture the highest-level title of her career so far. Bejlek has already won six ITF Challenger titles in her career as well.

Bejlek now leads 104th-ranked Parry 3-0 in their head-to-head (6-0 in sets). On Sunday, Bejlek was particularly solid returning the Parry second serve, winning 64 percent of those points. Parry, by contrast, won 35 percent of second-serve return points in the match.

MODMAN

As she marks her 80th birthday, the enduring legacy of Billie Jean King

Ilana Kloss was a 10-year-old ball kid in Johannesburg, South Africa when Billie Jean King -- three months before winning her first Wimbledon title in 1966 -- asked if she wanted to hit some tennis balls.

“That was the day I decided to be a professional tennis player -- and there wasn’t even a professional tour yet,” Kloss said Tuesday from her home in New York City. “I cannot tell you how much that meant to me. Billie has been a force in my life ever since.”

And vice versa, for they have been partners in every sense for the past four decades and were married in 2018. Kloss has had the catbird seat as King’s visions of equality for women’s tennis have gradually seeped out into society and the world at large.