You wouldn't like me when I'm ennui...

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I have a diary/blog thing over at WF, but I just don't feel like posting there tonight. Which is hard because some of this stuff will take more setting up. Moved from Portland Oregon to Louisville Kentucky over a year and a half ago. Once I got settled in and got my house renovated enough I decided to get a part time seasonal job with the city's largest employer, helping them out with their Christmas rush. I was way overqualified for it, but it was a way to get out of the house, get my doggo (who has had bouts of separation anxiety) used to me getting out of the house again, pick up some walkin' around money, and get my foot in the door with the city's largest employer, for when I found something with them that I was a better fit for.

As it happened, it *wasn't* seasonal work. And as it happened, when my boss' boss made his required contact with me he asked me if I really had a college degree. I told him I had an MBA and was a Major in the Marine Corps Reserve. He asked if I wanted to become a supervisor and I said "yes." We moved into a new building a little over a half a year ago and I somehow fell through the cracks and didn't get assigned a boss. For awhile I just did whatever I felt like needed doing and helped out wherever I was needed. It was kind of neat for a bit, but eventually I started to feel like I needed *some* direction. Otherwise there was the temptation to do things that didn't necessarily require a supervisor--like rounding up unused items and putting them back where they belonged. Happily, around that point the guy who ran the entire building was regularly getting beat up about an aspect of our job, so my old boss brought me to his boss, who brought me to HIS boss and I was assigned with fixing the thing he was getting beat up over. I got paired up with a guy who had the data I needed and given some basic guidelines and essentially turned loose. I got the job done and we became regularly in the top 10 buildings in the nation.

It wasn't all sunshine and happiness. I didn't exactly know what I was doing that was making us excel. And sometimes we'd have rough spots where we'd stumble and I wouldn't know what to do to fix it, but eventually we'd come around. I also got to go around and hand out company scrip and Gatorades to people who'd helped us meet our goals.

Then things changed. For whatever reason, they beefed up the training department. And they decided to move me from operations to training, where a former peer had newly been promoted and put in charge of a whole cadre--although she really just did whatever the head of training (who was a level higher than my old boss) wanted her to do. Which meant second-guessing and micromanagement. Oh, and while we're at it, one of new boss' boss' responsibilities was to run the company store, where the scrip I hand out can be used to buy swag. It's been over half a year and the store hasn't reopened since moving to the new building. But we've gotten lots of new paperwork. Lots of certifications and rostering.

A word on that: I have my "methods." These are something like 88 things I'm supposed to know from memory about how to do my job. Like, twice a year I have to come to an office and recite them. But nuboss' boss decided if twice a year was good, every 3 months would be even better. And she came up with something called "Methods Master" as an incentive to excel. If you could get your methods 100%--and word for word--you were a Methods Master. Now wrote memorization is actually counterproductive to the purpose. The methods are generalized across the company. So some of the items don't make sense in the context of our building. And parrots can mimic things without understanding them. It's better to be able to explain the concepts than to be able to recite them word-for-word. But that's above my pay grade. I can pass my methods any time with no advance notice. But I will never, EVER be a "methods master" because I think it is a waste of time and effort to memorize them verbatim. We'll come back to this in a bit.

Another reason I wanted a part time job was to force me to start my own business. The plan was to buy a rental property. And then another. And another. Possibly do some AirBnB, Uber, Rover, TaskRabbit, etc too. Eventually I'd be self employed. And eventually my money would be doing all the work for me. But to buy real estate--at least by my plan, one must be able to fix up real estate. And to fix up real estate, you need a vehicle larger than a Ford Mustang. Because it doesn't matter how clever you are, you can't fit a sheet of plywood in the trunk of a Ford Mustang. Rather than a junker pickup, I decided I wanted a van. With a van I could also haul my motorcycle, do in-city moves, go camping, or prepare for the zombie apocalypse. You can also do up a van like the A-Team van.

Now I didn't expect to do the actual A-Team van. You just don't find 1983 GMC G1500 Vanduras laying around these days. Not even a 1995 Chevy G30 or any other variant that has the right body style. But it turned out to be damnably hard to even find a cargo van that wasn't an extended version, had a sliding door, and no window on the sides with a suitably imposing grille at a price I was willing to pay for an "inspired by the A-Team"/alternate A-Team van. I was hoping for a 2008 Ford Econoline and actually started out on my motorcycle for the neighboring town to make an offer on one before I got cold feet and turned back. Bottom line, I'd been looking for the right van for close to 2 years. Then one day, while walking The Dog, I found a promising one literally 3 blocks from my house. A Ford Econoline. Actually a lot older than I wanted. Circa 1991. And it had a window in the sliding door. But it was enticing. I resolved to inquire on it. But the night before I did, I took one last turn on CraigsList. And there. In the neighboring town. Was an honest to God GMC G1500 Vandura with no windows and a sliding door. True it was a 1988, but the body is the same. Minimal rust. Allegedly well cared for. Not insane price.

I hit the bank and spent an August Sunday afternoon, screwing it down on my motorcycle with an envelope full of cash in one pocket and a loaded Walther PPK/S in the other (in case anything went sideways). I probably shouldn't have bought the thing. There were danger signs and roadblocks. But you really don't find this car in any shape any more. And I also didn't want to waste an entire day--and ride home on the cafe racer so I bought the bugger, rolled the bike up in the cargo bay and drove home with the "SERVICE ENGINE SOON' light on the entire way.

Now, when I was looking at doing an "inspired by the A-Team" van, things were simpler. you just need a spoiler, a red stripe, and a few other things. But when God drops the right van in your lap, then the pressure is on to get things right. I've actually done OK thus far, although it has definitely been an Odyssey--that isn't nearly over yet. But that's another story and I'm sidetracked enough at this point. Suffice it to say that I'm close enough to being done now that it pains me that I don't have more time to work on The Van. For reference, here's where we're at as of yesterday:
54730158_10213956077040557_7954333883787378688_n.jpg

So, while I increasingly hate my job--even though ostensibly I'm doing something I love--helping people and solving problems--I don't want to have to hunt for a different job because that takes away time from working on The Van. But I also can't just quit my job because when it comes time to buy a rental property lenders kind of want you to be employed.

There's more, but I've rambled on long enough just getting you up to speed. I still need to talk about Hub School, spending freezes, and bringing me in to fix something after it's too late to fix anything--which is what sparked making this rambling screed in the first place.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
OK. So, yeah. There's a month long course for base-level supervisors. You're supposed to take it within 6 weeks or so of being promoted, but that doesn't really happen. Finally got into it in November. BUT you still have to show up for work for 4 hours or so, after the class. And my job was such that no one did it while I was gone and even some of the processes that were in place to help with my job fell by the wayside. Class wrapped up just in time for the Christmas Rush and, by the last day of that, my dog had redeveloped her separation anxiety. Oh, and when I got back, the store still hadn't opened and there was a spending freeze on so I couldn't even hand out Gatorade for good performance along with my useless scrip. Actually, the scrip hadn't been useless because one of the workers had suggested being able to redeem it for snacks or Gatorade and my old boss' boss approved that. But then I ran out of Gatorade and couldn't get more. Meanwhile, one of the other shifts had discovered my stash of cold Gatorade. I could stockpile the rest in a locked cabinet, but once it was in the cooler, there was nowhere it fit. So I locked the cooler in a heavy duty zippered nylon bag, which got hid in nested cardboard boxes and hidden under a table, next to a file cabinet. Of course the next shift (or someone) found it and cut open the bag to steal the cooler. I hunted it down and old boss' boss vowed to take it to security and consult the cameras--although I don't know that anything ever came of that.

Meanwhile, nuboss' boss had been constantly finding roadblocks for my work. "Don't hand out scrip, because the store isn't open yet." Great. We moved 7 months ago. When is it *going* to open? "Don't use the ice machine for the cooler. We get ice delivered to the new building." Which is about a 10 minute walk. Is my time best spent walking 20 minutes at the start of each day for something that is literally right next to the office door? Anyway, they eventually stopped having the ice delivered. Before long my boss was telling me I was spending too much time in the office--which is where the only place with a printer and computers that have Excel on them. This is because in nuboss' boss' eyes, the only reason to be in the office is to screw off--because that's what nuboss and everyone else under nuboss' boss does in the office. Oh, and there's the time that nb-b cut our supervisor class short for the day because a corporate bigwig was in town and had texted her to come out for cocktails. So yeah. Career advancement is more important than your actual job.

So anyway, back to bureaucracy. NB-B apparently decided none of us new our jobs well enough, so now, every week we get quizzed on our "depth of knowledge." And since we can all do that, starting this week dok must be *verbatim*. So while I can tell you comprehensively why you should do something a certain way, apparently that isn't good enough if it doesn't match the particular wording--which is less comprehensive--printed on the quiz sheet. Because...reasons. I felt like the guy in "Office Space." "No. I'm not doing it. It's stupid."

Managed to dodge that last night--partly because, just as I'd gotten in to do my paperwork, I got a text--oh, that's another thing. We've got new huge Samsung Galaxy's to use for paperwork in lieu of clipboards but they only create PDFs, so you can't enter data or photos into a database, so I continue to use my personal cell phone and e-mail photos to my work e-mail every day. And they were too cheap to get phone or data plans for them so they're basically just half-assed WiFi devices. And the 160 or so radios we had 7 months ago are all gone. Everyone stashes them in drawers or hides them around the area. So now I have no situational awareness while doing my job because, as a trainer, I technically don't *need* to know how the operation is going for the day. Anyhow, I get a text to go train someone. Cool. That's kind of what I do. I'd already gotten around to working with someone a bit that day because I promised them I'd do it longer ago than I'd like to admit. The other guy I promised to work with last week had already been sent home for the day by the time I got to where he worked. So I go work with this girl. She's tired and frustrated and in a poopy mood. I get her calmed down and tell her to take a break and just watch me work while I explain to her why I'm doing things a certain way. I show her how to solve problems that have been frustrating her and am just about to start watching her work and offering pointers when her boss sends her home for the night. We chat a little more and I say I'll check up on her to see how she's doing.

Of course I forgot the last time I was asked to work with someone. That time it was someone I'd already worked with extensively twice on my own volition (that's another thing--now I'm so tied up with bureacracy that I don't have time to get out and just look for new hires that need training. Also, now that we have this robust training section, it's a bit tricky to train people when they allegedly have someone training them, but from my experience most of the trainers don't actually know what they're doing--they're too busy filling out paperwork, taking tests, memorizing wording of of processes rather than understanding those processes, and trying to get a phone to do things it wasn't designed to do--all while helping out when it gets busy) Whew!, that's a heck of a sidebar. The point is, the last time I was asked to train someone specifically, it was because they were going to (rightfully) let her go because she couldn't do the job. And they did, like, the day after I worked with her.

So I'm feeling good about making a positive contact--oh, and that's another can of worms. They just had some HR bigwig in to talk to us all about the importance of retention and how we could make people want to stay--which actually made me want to leave even more--and I get back to the office, where NB asks me how it went. I say it went OK and she asks how the girl's attitude was and I say that she was in a bad mood at first, but once I'd gotten to work with her a bit, she was more positive. NB then tells me she wants me to work with her more today because they've tried everything and if she doesn't improve they're going to have to let her go. :/

Now here's the thing: It's a union shop. It's easy to fire someone during their 30 day training period and almost impossible to once they've got "seniority." While I was talking to this girl, how long did she tell me she'd been here? 29 days. So if they want to fire her, they have to do it basically today. So thank you. You made me get invested in someone basically a half hour of work-time before you're going to fire them. All so you can tell yourself "well, I tried everything." That's the other surreal thing: At the start meeting, NB asks if we have anyone who's "at risk." Only I've come to realize "at risk" doesn't mean someone you can work with and get to stay, it means someone who's put in their notice or stopped coming to work. Which reminds me of the time I was talking with someone in a very physically demanding job--fellow Marine--who said it was hard for him. Since I started working when I was older, I asked how old he was--60. Doing hard labor at 60! Talked to his trainer with NB present and got "he's just got a bad attitude." So I talked to NB-B. She said she was aware of the situation and working on it--before taking the time to scold me with "when we hire people, they know what's required of them and that they can be assigned to any job." Next day she rounds us all up for a big Come-To-Jesus about how our retention is shitty and we need to fix it (which we have only limited ability as trainers, the actual operation supervisors have far more influence on that kind of thing) and brings up the very guy I talked about and asks how come no one raised his issues until her and old boss' boss talked to the man--no hat-tip to me for catching it as well. No admission that I was right. Just "when we hire people, they know what's required of them and that they can be assigned to any job."

So yeah. I'm about done with this job. And I really need to get on the company site to look for jobs that line up better with my skills, abilities, and nonwork goals. But I'm also trying to build a frigging A-Team van, so who has time to navigate corporate Web portals? :/

And I still haven't touched on the supervisor running my old boss' department now that he got promoted. That's another shit-show. She's another micromanager. In a couple months she's taken a well-oiled team, caused a bunch of people to quit, caused a bunch of other people to get transferred because she can't work with them, and run off maybe 70% of her supervisors. Right now about half her supervisors are brand new and untrained. The key union people who make things go smoothly at the end of the night are new because she's alienated the long-time rock stars, and on even the slowest nights, us trainers wind up not training because we have to go help get the hourly work done in her blown-up and chaotic area.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Yep. They fired the girl my boss asked me to train. There's a 30 day probationary period before new hires are in the union and about impossible to fire. During the probationary period you can fire someone for pretty much anything. So my boss asks me, late in the shift, to work with a "new hire." I get there and realize this isn't a "new" hire, she's been here for awhile. But I haven't gotten around to working with her any. She's happy to have someone actually teaching her and after the fact all the other trainers are amazed that I was able to work with her "didn't she give you attitude?" "She was in a bad mood when I got there, but once I showed her that I was there to help, she was grateful."

Part of getting someone to learn is learning about them, so when I asked her how long she'd been here and she said "29 days," I realized I'd been set up by my boss. But I'm not a quitter and I don't say "no" if I can help it so when my boss asked me to work with her again the next day I did it in good faith and gave it my best shot. Of course there's only so much you can do in a day. So I already pretty much knew the answer when I asked about her today. "Oh, we had to let her go." So yes. You didn't ask me to care about this person and give a day of my best effort to actually train someone, you did it so you could fire them and say "well, we tried everything. We even had Fox work with her." I hate my boss so much.