A History Of Violence, by David Cronenberg

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Cronenberg is back, and I'm so fucking glad. It's interesting what creative people go through to get back to where they once belonged, so to speak, and I'm pretty sure Cronenberg has found himself again.

Back in the day this man churned out some of the weirdest and most lucid films of his genre. I'm not sure if any of you have ever seen his films besides Scanners or Dead Zone. He did a movie with Marilyn Chambers called "Rabid" where she played a woamn who, after a car crash, the surgery mutates into a syringe like shunt in her armpit, and she's forced to "hug" people to then fuck them to death with this appendage. Then there's "Shivers/They Came From Within", another rocker where this alien spore lands in a condominium complex and it repkicates by forcing the person it's inside to become uncontrollably aroused, and then it inseminates the partner in the most insidious way during sex. Then there was "Crash" in many ways his best.

Until this film, which has struck me deeply after only one viewing.

"A History of Violence" starts with two men very leisurely packing up and leaving a rather run-down motel on an already very hot morning. Hot, bleached out sunlight changes for the lush trees of Indiana where the body of the film is set. As the story plays itself out verdant greenery turns ominous flame red, then skies become grey and trees shed the leaves as the eventual truth of the story dawns. This is an often very brutal film, even in the second of the two love-making scenes.The whole film treads that thin line between acceptable and seriously unacceptable behaviour that we all know lurks only skin deep within us all. I believe that Cronenberg is asking questions of human nature in general rather than just that exhibited in the US in particular.

I thik it's Mortensen that blows my mind the most. He's determined not to get typecast by the Rings Trilogy, and his last three outings since have shown why. First "Hidalgo" (which was actually written by an acquaintance of mine, John Fusco) He did some film with Diane Lane last out where he plays a creepy drifter that ruins her marriage by fucking her and taking her to Woodstock when she's having a midlife lonely crisis. He's just fucking awesome in this film. I think he's found his niche, and if he learns how to really act instead of this character bullshit, he'll set the movie world on it's end.

All I'll say is see the film, and behold the Return Of Cronenberg!!!!!!!!!1

EnglishRose

addle barn
I'm watching it this weekend, brutality and Viggo - I'm gonna be in heaven :)

Kerb Crawler

Closed Fist of the Badlands
Hm... I have to admit, it looks interesting.

Maybe a matinee...