A Little Bit of Real

Friday

Bazinga!
I posted this on my Facebook, but I wanted to share it with you guys, too. Just shining some light on the otherwise dark terrain that is TK...

Why I Teach

Friday in Band, the teacher gave a "chair test". The students play a few bars of a song, and the teacher determines which chair they go to (First Chair is the best position. It is coveted by all).

The little 6th grade autistic boy that I teach was next to test. Beforehand, he told me how nervous he was, and I told him he'll be fine. I really didn't expect him to make it past 4th chair. He always tries his best, but has trouble hitting the high notes (he plays the trombone).

So my little 6th grader plays his test. Every note was perfect; a flawless performance. When he finished, he was greeted with thunderous applause by the entire class (of about 60 students--the band class is huge).

When everyone had finished auditioning, there was a tie between my student and another. When the teacher asked for a vote for who should get First Chair, the room erupted in a chorus of "John! John! John!" Even the student who was tied with him was chanting John's name. John (not his real name) looked so proud that it not only brought tears to my eyes, but the band teacher's eyes, as well.

It was one of those rare Perfect Moments we all hope to experience.

John received First Chair.

More importantly, he received the admiration and support of those who originally viewed him as an outcast, due to his autism. That one moment took that class from being a group of kids, to a cohesive, unified unit.

And that is why I teach...

DarthSikle

GFHH Moderator
and then they beat the snot out of him at lunchtime.

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
and then they beat the snot out of him at lunchtime.

Indeed. Just like the time I won the spelling bee in junior high. Everyone was congratulating me that day and then went back to ignoring me, and treating me like crap the next day.