Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

About fucking time.

Friday said:
No, laserdisc and DVD supplements, in the beginning, were pretty much researched, pre existing material with a few interviews thrown in. It wasn't until Special Edition DVDs started gaining popularity that studios started producing their own supplemental material alongside the original production of a film.

I hate to tell you you're wrong, but....

When I was working for GC back in the 80's, we used to get supplemental material on VHS along with the ad slicks and promotional material (I still have one for Willow). The idea was that, in the event that your theatre had a good relationship with some media outlet, that the stuff could be used to supplement the paid co-op advertising. Even the radio stations would use the video tapes for the audio to make promo spots when we were doing in-kind trades and ticket giveaways.

The featurettes has always been there. Sure, there's more of it done with DVD in mind now, since the market's so big, but "special feature" material isn't new with this format. Films have always had gag reels, and directors and actors have always done little documentaries during filming. As an example which many have seen, there's a wealth of "extras" for each of the Lethal Weapon films (Mel Gibson was notorious for bringing a video camera to work to do just that), and the first couple of those movies were well before DVD was even available.

Remember, most of the "extras" are probably best considered "vanity material", actors and directors documenting, "Hey, look what I did". That much of it wasn't seen was a shortcoming of the industry, which DVD and the internet have now remedied.

And don't pine too long for Cinemascope . You're watching more Cinemascope movies than you think. Cinemascope (or anamorphic) is simply an old term for "Widescreen". There are, primarily, two kinds of lenses used for projection in most commercial theatres: These days, they're called "Scope" (which is the diminutive of Cinemascope) and "Flat". In many theatres you go to, you will notice that, depending upon the film that you're watching, the curtains on either side of the screen (also called a masque) are in different places, or they may even close or open when the film begins. If the curtains are partially closed, you're watching a "flat" print (slightly longer than it is tall-1.85:1). If the curtains are open all the way, you're watching a Cinemascope print (significantly longer than it is tall-2.39:1). Behind the scenes, an "aperture plate" which is inserted into the projector also acts as a masque. (Many noob operators will forget to change the plate on the first day of a format change, and you'll see the projected image spilling off the screen.)

When either format is committed to DVD, even a flat print will come in the "widescreen" variety, since the aspect ratio for both when projected on the silver screen is greater than that of your TV.

Now, if you're going to bitch, complain about all of the people who are too daft to understand that the "black bars at the top and bottom of the TV" are put there to preserve the original image size that they saw in the movie theatre. and that watching a "fullscreen" dvd not only means enduring the "pan and scan" blur, but also missing important bits of the film which exist on either side of scanned image.

-

L_G, if it's you that's got to have a cell phone when shopping for "happy" at Target, we can let that slide. It's the Gulag for everyone else, though.

A; I forget my cell phone half the time, and if someone does call me while I'm in a movie or in class, they can fucking talk to me when that's done.

B: People don't get paid to WRite great movies anymore. people pay to SEE movies, and the largest demographic that brings in people and money are the visuals, action, cute people.
God Forbid they might be intelligent!! You'd lose 85% of your audience!

Blindgroping said:
B: People don't get paid to WRite great movies anymore. people pay to SEE movies, and the largest demographic that brings in people and money are the visuals, action, cute people.
God Forbid they might be intelligent!! You'd lose 85% of your audience!

I think that's gonna change. No, scratch that -- I've decided that's gonna change! More and more people are getting tired of spectacle over substance in entertainment. It's a change that's rolling slow right now, but it's picking up speed. I'd say within the next five years, things like the Matrix sequels won't even be taken seriously by audiences anymore, and because of that, won't be picked up by studios.

So when do we get to see your first revolutionary script?

If you want to colaberate, I might be willing to share that other idea I have.

Oh, I've got plenty enough ideas for the moment -- just need to get 'em to completion and sell 'em. You've got some damn good ideas of your own, though; how come you haven't done anything with 'em yet?

Thanks, Peter, for that informative post. I truly did learn a lot. :)

Featurettes have always been around. The one that immediately comes to mind is the Salzburg: Sights and Sounds featurette on The Sound Of Music DVD that is, essentially, a Charmian Carr hosted video travelogue of Salzburg. It was filmed in tandem with The Sound Of Music.

However...

It is a fact that films are being produced more and more with marketability, not art, in mind. That is truly sad. Hollywood has become a business, where the art of visual and auditory storytelling have gone the way of Burger King tie-ins and potential DVD sales.

I personally know people who grew up wanting to become filmmakers, but when faced with the reality of the Hollywood machine, became jaded and cynical. This will not change until the people who make the final studio decisions stop being businessman and women, and become artists first and foremost.

The Question said:
I think that's gonna change. No, scratch that -- I've decided that's gonna change! More and more people are getting tired of spectacle over substance in entertainment. It's a change that's rolling slow right now, but it's picking up speed. I'd say within the next five years, things like the Matrix sequels won't even be taken seriously by audiences anymore, and because of that, won't be picked up by studios.
Ah...the up and comer naivete.

You really haven't spent much time dealing with Hollywood studios, have you? I'm not trying to rain on your parade, TQ, I'm just trying to save you a lot of frustration and anger.

It's not going to happen. The Hollywood machine is too powerful. Trust me. I've seen it.

^^Granted, that's the way it is. Doesn't mean it's the way it's gonna stay, though. Part of the dynamic of changing anything is hitting it hard enough to dampen the momentum it already has.

S'why I'm not gonna enter the industry, I'm gonna kick down the doors and scare the piss out of it! :D

The Question said:
Part of the dynamic of changing anything is hitting it hard enough to dampen the momentum it already has.

...I'm gonna kick down the doors and scare the piss out of it! :D
Funnily enough, I've seen this work...firsthand. ;)

It just might work at that. :)

The Question said:
Oh, I've got plenty enough ideas for the moment -- just need to get 'em to completion and sell 'em. You've got some damn good ideas of your own, though; how come you haven't done anything with 'em yet?

lack of motivation, lack of followthrough, low self image, distractions, And I hate rewritting things. It feels redundant and a waste of time.
(rewitting: it's already there in my head, now you want me to write it all out?)