About Our Culture

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
I've been thinking about the morbid focus the media plays on celebrity deaths, especially this past year. It seems like we "celebrate" celebrities in large part so we can watch them die. We prefer to have them die young and beautiful, so we can preserve them as such in our paintings (Andy Warhol's Marilyn comes to mind), video games (Kurt Cobain/Guitar Hero), and action figures (Heath Leger as The Joker springs to mind immediately), but we'll make do with the ones long forgotten, like the montage of faces the grotesquely haunt the Oscars every year, as if to say " Hey Brad and Angie, soon you'll be dust too".

Statistically speaking, no more celebs died in 2009 than any other year, but the way the news and the web have been covering these deaths, you'd the the entire Actors Guild passed in the last 12 months. Can't blame CNN or the bloggers, they're just giving us what we want.

And it's not like we're grieving either; we're indulging in memorial orgies that turn the dead into the people we need them to be. Perhaps it's to assuage our own anxieties about death (both our own death and "America's") Do not ask for who'm the twitter tweets, it tweets for thee.

Celebrity memorials and funerals are some of our more bizarre rituals, too...occasions for forgetting famous lives, rather than remembering them. If you're famous and want to change your image, all you need to do is die. The enduring image of Farrah Fawcett isn't the eraser sized nipples poking through her red bathing suit, but in a hospital gown on NBC's watch-a-celeb-die-with-courage-a-thon. Remember when they cycled that for heavy airplay just before and after her death? We won't even talk about MJ, who spent most of his consciousness hacking every bit of cupcakeer off his face...nonetheless, Q-Tip and Spike Jones held competing "parties" to celebrate his first year as a dead black man. Remember Joe Jackson and Usher at the funeral? :::brrrr:::: turned Michael from predator to victim in three short hours. Chilling.

Ted Kennedy's death was an even more obscene case of postmortem identity reversal. It's remarkable how quickly (and easily) everyone began calling him one of the great forces for good in American public life when said life represented precisely just what the failure of progressive politics was from 1980 until 2008. He was the "soul of the Democratic Party" allright, during the time when the Party was a complete failure. The last months of Kennedy's life culminated in the idea that Obama was somehow the fulfillment of the Kennedy Dream (if you will), the new generation receiving the old torch, which makes me say WHAT. THE. FUCK? Because (imo) Obama is the complete opposite of Kennedy. He's no cheat, certainly not at Harvard, and definitely not on his wife.

Dead celebrities turn out to be the best kind, so much easier to twist and turn for our own purposes. Right now, as we head into the new decade, we need Farrah to be brave and Michael to be innocent and Teddy to be heroic because we need to compensate for the atmosphere of doom that's settling over America like spiritual smog. This years Oscar bait (Amelia and The Lovely Bones, for example) fetishizes death and memorialization to unprecedented degrees, and todays best TV is about cultures and cities and people who are dying. "Mad Men" is a very painstanking construct of a dying world, a dying society with dead fashion and ideals. The hero of Hung is literally huddled in a tent in the dead city of Detroit. Nurse Jackie shows how much worse moral decay is than physical, it just GLOWS with despair..

In our society, in major industries like newspapers and automobiles, in faraway fields of battle like Iraq and Afghanistan, we seem to be falling apart, and we're all waiting around, breathless almost, for Obama's first failure. Look at this, he's a charismatic president with a filibuster proof Senate and full control of the House, and he's finding the country ungovernable. What we're talking about here is the death of Hope. It is for sure, coming. The only question is WHEN.

More celebrities will have to die, so we can go on feeling better about ourselves. They'll have to be the right kind of celebrity though. We lost some truly significant figures this past year, Les Paul and Walter Cronkite come to mind, but they received muted tributes, remember? Their greatness entitled them to a separate peace. Instead we focused on Michael Jackson. So far he's had 5 funerals, and Jermaine wants to turn the Ranch into a perversely permanent Graceland with all his machinations. Think of that, a permanent grief center where all of his followers can pretend he wasn't the WEIRDEST MOTHER FUCKER TO WALK ACROSS THE EARTH BACKWARDS AND ON TIPPY TOE. His corpse is providing a greater public service than his living body ever did.

By remembering Him, we can forget our own impending doom, I guess.

:::gets off rant pedastal:::

Marquis De Sade

I came for the spankings
Shut the fuck up, jacques.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I hate it when reporters say they're not to blame for the shit they report because they're just telling us what we want to hear. It's not the job of the news to give us what we want, but to inform us of what we need to know.

Archibald Nixon

anti-life coach
No, seriously: Remember about 15 years ago when Richard Nixon croaked, and everyone fell over themselves trying to come to grips with how one of the most polarizing, politically devastating figures in 20th century America would be remembered? How everyone went from (justifiably, IMHO) vilifying him, to smoldering about his continued existence, to suddenly cranking out these half-baked postmortems about how "controversial" he was? Really? The only U.S. president to ever resign in disgrace was controversial?!

Back to what Jack is talking about: I think it's more about sugarcoating those pesky, upleasant facts of existence, like death --especially celebrity death, when such figures have the aura of immortality to the rest of us (at least, right up until you actually meet them,) and who have a way of enshrining their immortality in two ways: Live a long life and croak when you're long past your prime, which makes everyone remember you like "Oh, they were great when they were younger;" or living & dying young, whereupon you're remembered as "Oh they were great...such a tragedy that they died before we got the opportunity to watch them slip into mediocrity." The dying-young category usually includes a special quality of existential senselessness: car accident, suicide, OD, etc*...anyway, I had a point here somewhere...Oh yeah: I think the media shmaltz is just a cultural defense mechanism and I've learned to take it as such --as nauseating as it can be (I almost never watch these things...I think the last time I observed any sort of funereal rites was when Princess Diana was killed. I was moved by the whole spectacle --especially the part where they played Tavener at the end-- but I also felt that getting Elton John to rewrite a song he had originally written about Marilyn Monroe to suit his dead friend and shoehorn it into the service was just the sort of ill-advised, cheap-ass, flaming-bullshit tripe that I'm sure about fifty percent of those listening thought was simply brilliant.
yuck.gif
)

Or maybe I've just gotten cynical.

*I've gotta just say, though: David Carradine broke the fucking mold with this. Elderly & reaping the damage from years of drug use (though still sharp by most accounts,) a death in any of the usual old-man or former-user ways would have surprised nobody. So what does he do? Goes out in some lurid S&M autoerotic asphyxiation stunt?! FTW!!!

Archibald Nixon

anti-life coach
I hate it when reporters say they're not to blame for the shit they report because they're just telling us what we want to hear. It's not the job of the news to give us what we want, but to inform us of what we need to know.
Actually, what they're doing is following the numbers (which translates to following the $$$), but point taken: There's no good reason they have to present it in a way that insults our intelligence. However, it's a two-way street. If the dumb stuff get's viewed more and is therefore more profitable to them in a cutthroat business, it's up to us to reward them for intelligent reporting/programming.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I have rewarded them by not watching the news on TV unless there's something major going on. I read the paper everyday, but even the newspapers are full of useless shit now.

Archibald Nixon

anti-life coach
I have rewarded them by not watching the news on TV unless there's something major going on. I read the paper everyday, but even the newspapers are full of useless shit now.
Well, you get what you pay for --that goes for both paying money, and paying attention.

As for newspapers --actual, tangible papers? Or do you read them online? If the latter, do you pay for an online subscription? If not, would you?

Newspapers are in either death-throes or morphing into all-online formats. How they're going to manage it economically with a whole generation that's used to getting its information largely for free will be interesting to see. You can expect vast dips in quality, although maybe there'll be some kind of bouce-back in that regard, in a way I can't currently fathom.

Then again, maybe David Icke will be the next Rupert Murdoch or Sumner Redstone.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I have a real newspaper delivered to my house everyday, lol. If they go all online, I would be willing to pay for a subscription, but only if they do a better job of reporting on real news. The paper I get now has dipped in quality significantly in the last couple years, I'm almost to the point of giving up on it and trying a different one.. but I've purchased other newspapers just to see what they had to offer and found them to be almost identical to the one I get now. They're all trying to cut costs, which I understand, but they end up cutting the very things that used to make newspapers better than televised news. I wish someone would launch a hard news newspaper, for people who don't care which celebrity is cheating on his wife, or who had plastic surgery, or which movie is #1.

The main problem I have with televised news is that they're all so biased now. Not just stations like FOX, but the individual anchors. News commentators should do their best not to let their own personal bias show when they're reading the news. I got so disgusted with all the local anchors back during the Terri Shaivo thing that I pretty much stopped watching unless there's a hurricane coming. Cable news is a joke, they all act so fucking silly, like they're supposed to be entertaining us instead of informing us.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
It's like Archie says (and Nixon was in the back of my mind the whole time I was posting) all you have to do is die if you want people to change their perceptions of you.

And yes Cassie, all this cookie cutter Barbie bullshit in the news. Hard to tell if it's a barbizon Modeling commercial or the news anymore.