Ad block for Google Chrome

Hambil

I AM A GOLDEN GOD
Step 1: Switch to the beta channel with the Google Chrome channel switcher.

Step 2: Download AdSweep.

Step 3: Add the flag --enable-user-scripts to your chrome shortcut. e.g. C:\Users\Hambil\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe --enable-user-scripts

Step 4: Create a directory called User Scripts in your Chrome user data director. e.g. C:\Users\Hambil\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\User Scripts

Step 5: Unzip the AdSweep.zip you downloaded into the directory you just created.

Step 6: Rename the unzipped file AdSweep.js to AdSweep.user.js.

Ads are now blocked.

FBI parte due

Folces Weard
Step 7: Don't use a browser that phones home with your browsing history and a unique user ID regularly.

Hambil

I AM A GOLDEN GOD
Step 8: Don't be a paranoid n00b

Hambil

I AM A GOLDEN GOD
Chrome is opensource. Rant all you want, but it's just as safe as FF and for the same reasons. It doesn't have all the nice add-ons and plug-ins as FF yet, but it will. And then it will have even more and better. It's already faster, easier to use, and more intuitive.

Hambil

I AM A GOLDEN GOD
Having gone through this little exercise I recommend against it for now. The dev version is still too unstable. Things on TK stop working. I uninstalled and went back to the stable release version.

Also, after about an hour trying to go back to FF, I've realized I can't do it. Chrome is it for me now. It's just so much easier to use.

FBI parte due

Folces Weard
Chromium is open-source; Chrome isn't. It's issued under a separate license which states that you can't "copy, modify, create a derivative work of, reverse engineer, decompile or otherwise attempt to extract the source code of the Software or any part thereof." You can suggest that changes can be made, but there's no guarantee that Google with make them. Also, Google Chrome is distributed with Google Updater, which is not open-source, and there's a stipulation in the license that says that you have to agree to receiving updates to use the product - which is in violation of the definition of open source. I don't have a problem with that, but that means it's not open-source.

What my issue was was that Google has admitted that it collects (and permanently stores some of) the data it gets from auto-suggesting things in the "omnibox," along with a unique identifier and an IP address.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
They've been storing and monitoring google searches for years to use as "market data". It makes me uneasy, but since it's pretty much the word in internet search engines, I keep using it.

Ishcabittle

for my money (of which i have to spend none), WebKit is the fastest and easiest to use browser. Now that they've integrated Sparkle updater, it's super easy to get the nightly builds.

safari 4 on my vista machine trumps it in speed, but not stability. i'll have to try it on one of my macs, but it's not a priority with WebKit around.