Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex Buchet.

Alexandre Buche said:
LOL @ Pickle trying to think. Tell me, what is "sarcastic language" if not language employed ironically?

You need to use a better dictionary than dictionary dot com.

Sarcasm. A form of verbal irony, expressing sneering, personal disapproval in the guise of praise. (Oddly enough, sarcastic remarks are often used between friends, perhaps as a somewhat perverse demonstration of the strength of the bond--only a good friend could say this without hurting the other's feelings, or at least without excessively damaging the relationship, since feelings are often hurt in spite of a close relationship. If you drop your lunch tray and a stranger says, "Well, that was really intelligent," that's sarcasm. If your girlfriend or boyfriend says it, that's love--I think.)

http://home.cfl.rr.com/eghsap/apterms.html
Pickle, do you have a reply to the above? Do you now understand the relationship between irony and sarcasm, or do I need to pwn you more?

Alexandre Buche said:
Sarcasm is always ironic.
Irony is not always sarcastic.

Sarcasm without irony: Alex, you're crack smoking caveman.

I was witty, I was mean spirited. But i was not saying something and meaning the opposite.

Irony without sarcasm: Gee, I can't wait to go to work and clean up after high school kids!

I meant the opposite of what I said, but was not malicious.

Do you understand yet? Or do I need to make you a flow chart?

Alexandre Buche said:
Pickle, do you have a reply to the above? Do you now understand the relationship between irony and sarcasm, or do I need to pwn you more?

That would imply that you pwned me previously.

Since that never happened, we know know that being dc'd greatly effects your mental well being.

The Dork Lord said:
Sarcasm without irony: Alex, you're crack smoking caveman.
That's neither sarcasm nor irony. It's a weak insult missing an indefinite article.

The Dork Lord said:
I was witty, I was mean spirited. But i was not saying something and meaning the opposite.
The fact that you think you were being witty is slightly ironic.

The Dork Lord said:
Irony without sarcasm: Gee, I can't wait to go to work and clean up after high school kids!
This is a sarcastic statement. Sarcasm is a verbal irony, as I posted above. You posted a positive statement, but, ironically, you meant the opposite of what you wrote. This irony was signaled by the sarcastic tone of the "Gee."

You're either pretending to be dumb, or you are dumb. I think you're actually dumb, because you have the quintessentially stupid man's unfounded self-regard.

I think you're married to the popular, as opposed to actual meaning of the word.

I also think the smallest dog has the biggest bite ;)

The Dork Lord said:
I think you're married to the popular, as opposed to actual meaning of the word.
You're wrong about that. You've also shown yourself to have no idea what sarcasm and irony are. Like I said, you're out of your depth. It's not even fair, really.

Here's Irony for you.

Irony. A mode of expression, through words (verbal irony) or events (irony of situation), conveying a reality different from and usually opposite to appearance or expectation. A writer may say the opposite of what he means, create a reversal between expectation and its fulfillment, or give the audience knowledge that a character lacks, making the character's words have meaning to the audience not perceived by the character. In verbal irony, the writer's meaning or even his attitude may be different from what he says: "Why, no one would dare argue that there could be anything more important in choosing a college than its proximity to the beach." An example of situational irony would occur if a professional pickpocket had his own pocket picked just as he was in the act of picking someone else's pocket. The irony is generated by the surprise recognition by the audience of a reality in contrast with expectation or appearance, while another audience, victim, or character puts confidence in the appearance as reality (in this case, the pickpocket doesn't expect his own pocket to be picked). The surprise recognition by the audience often produces a comic effect, making irony often funny.

An example of dramatic irony (where the audience has knowledge that gives additional meaning to a character's words) would be when King Oedipus, who has unknowingly killed his father, says that he will banish his father's killer when he finds him.

Irony is the most common and most efficient technique of the satirist, because it is an instrument of truth, provides wit and humor, and is usually at least obliquely critical, in that it deflates, scorns, or attacks.

The ability to detect irony is sometimes heralded as a test of intelligence and sophistication. When a text intended to be ironic is not seen as such, the effect can be disastrous. Some students have taken Swift's "Modest Proposal" literally. And Defoe's contemporaries took his "Shortest Way with the Dissenters" literally and jailed him for it. To be an effective piece of sustained irony, there must be some sort of audience tip-off, through style, tone, use of clear exaggeration, or other device.

zzzzzzZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

huh? yeah sure alex, you're right....

work the shaft, squeeze the base

ZZZZZZzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzZZZz