Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alito sworn in as Supreme Court Justice

^^Well, if Brown Vs. BOE were overturned, then Plessy vs. Ferguson would follow. We'd go back to having racial segregation.

However, this wouldn't work from a practical standpoint, given the number of multi-ethnic people in the United States these days.

Yes, I would be amused at the irony of women crying because they might not be able to kill their unborn babies.

Which is sicker: watching grown women cry because their right to choose to kill is being somewhat restricted, or to believe that killing an unborn child is a God-given right?

Big Dick McGee said:
Which is sicker: watching grown women cry because their right to choose to kill is being somewhat restricted, or to believe that killing an unborn child is a God-given right?

Watching each individual women lose the right to maintain control over and/or make decisions regarding her own body.

Number_6 said:
Too bad. Maybe women will think twice before engaging in risky sexual activity, rather than relying on abortions.

And if you read that article, you'd know that "back alley abortions" is a bullshit phrase. Most abortions were being performed by the same doctors who perform them now, just in secret, and not in "back alleys."

It's a bad law. And its existence prevents any real discussion on the matter of abortion from ever taking place. And as a society, we need to have that discussion.

Be very ashamed of this attitude.

Sarek said:
Watching each individual women lose the right to maintain control over and/or make decisions regarding her own body.

Well, hell, why don't we let women who are experiencing incredible pain during childbirth decide to just kill the kid instead? Isn't pain management maintaining control over her own body? I also think it should be perfectly legal and correct for women to commit suicide, even in public. Isn't that the ultimate control over her body?

If this is all about "control" of your body, how about controlling yourself and not having sex in the first place. By choosing to have sex you are, in fact, reliquishing some control of your body. "Choice" is just a euphamism for not taking responsibility for one's mistakes.

Caitriona said:
Ouch! That's a sweeping statement, especially since a woman's body is made to get pregnant. You're saying all sexual activity would be risky then? So, women shouldn't have sex unless they are willing to take responsibility for the possibility of children?

I couldn't even finishing reading the rest of your response, I had to stop right here and say YES! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND ALL THINGS HOLY YES! YES! YES!

Big Dick McGee said:
Well, hell, why don't we let women who are experiencing incredible pain during childbirth decide to just kill the kid instead? Isn't pain management maintaining control over her own body? I also think it should be perfectly legal and correct for women to commit suicide, even in public. Isn't that the ultimate control over her body?

If this is all about "control" of your body, how about controlling yourself and not having sex in the first place. By choosing to have sex you are, in fact, reliquishing some control of your body. "Choice" is just a euphamism for not taking responsibility for one's mistakes.
You're oversimplifying the issue, BDM. There are other factors involved in the decision to have an abortion besides convenience and control.

But I thought the whole argument could be boiled down to "My body, my choice"? I mean, the movement is called "Pro-Choice" for godness sake! If it were really just about abortion, why not call it "Pro-Abortion"? Why do you folks get so upset when Pro-Life folks like me refer to you as "Pro-Abortionists"?

As you will all see anyway, it's a moot point with Kennedy as the new swing vote :bigass:

That is true BDM. I'm not against abortion, I do believe women should have the choice it's just not a choice I choose for myself. I truly am "Pro-Choice". My beef is with the funding of abortion clinics but then I have the same problem with having to pay school taxes when I don't have children of my own.

EDIT: Answer to BDM's post...

Do you think women who have unwanted pregnancies easily decide to have an abortion? That this decision is as easy as deciding what to wear on any given day?

Some women do use abortion as a method of birth control, this is true. However, the majority of women who seek abortions do so because of the inability to fit a child into their lives, for whatever reason. For some, it's not a matter of choice, but a matter of individual survival.

"Pro-Abortion" sounds like one is actively endorsing the idea, as opposed to fighting for the choice to consider it an option.

I think the whole idea of men legislating the rights of women based on the idea of sexual responsibility is pretty ironic.

jack said:
I think the whole idea of men legislating the rights of women based on the idea of sexual responsibility is pretty ironic.

Right always come with responsibilities. It's part of adulthood to acknowledge this fact. Actions also come with responsibilities.

To engage in sexual activity is to open oneself to the potential of offspring. That's why people shouldn't become sexually active until they are willing to take responsibility for the possible consequences of their actions.

I'm pro-choice myself, to a point. That point ends pretty early on in the pregnancy, when it's clear to anyone but the most vehement pro-abortionists that what you're doing is taking a life. Not cutting out a part of a woman's body, but destroying something that is a life of its own, regardless of how undeveloped and how fragile that life is.

I grow tired of N.O.W. and N.A.R.A.L. and all of these other groups who parade Roe around like a fucking flag, and contest any restrictions on the "right" to abortion. These people are unethical fucks, who need to be put in their place by a society that recaptures its sense of ethics and says "No, you can't have a late-term abortion, you selfish little bitch. You should have made your decision sooner. You should have taken a morning-after pill. Your lack of responsibility is not going to result in the loss of life."

But we're not going to get to this point without overturning a bad law, which deliberately misinterprets two Constitutional amendments in order to legislate from the bench.

And we need to get to this point. We need to have a serious discussion of the ethics of abortion--the ethics of the morning-after pill, the ethics of first-trimester abortions, the ethics of second-trimester abortions, and the ethics of third-trimester abortions.

The discussions we have right now are anything but. Instead, you have one group of fanatics protecting a bad law with everything they can muster, to make sure it's never really scrutinized too much. One the other side, a group of fanatics who want to eliminate even the possibility of destroying a cluster of cells, and are willing to blow up clinics in order to force society to adopt their values as a matter of law.

That's the legacy of Roe.

Roe needs to be overturned. Then we as a society need to come to the table and hammer out good law, law that makes sense and that gives a woman a degree of reproductive freedom (which she has, of course, through birth control and just not fucking until she's ready to procreate), but without allowing her to commit an act which is, if we're really honest with ourselves, is nothing more than murder, if the abortion is performed late enough in the pregnancy.

We need to discuss exactly what "the health of the mother" means. Physical health, I think, is undebatable. It isn't fair to require one person to give their life for another. Mental health, on the other hand, I'm not so sure about, and can too easily be used as a cop-out by someone who's made up their mind too late.

But this would need to be discussed.

All of our rights are subject to some curtailment. That's part of living in a civil society. One group cannot just claim the irrevokable right to an abortion without taking into consideration the ethical implications of said right. The fact of the existence of other people necessarily curtails some of our rights. At some point, well before the nine month period is up, abortion is curtailing the right of another person to live. When is that point? Perhaps if there really were something at stake for both parties in this debate, we'd do some serious work towards figuring out when that is, and draw a firm line in the sand.

But, again, none of this is going to happen when we have a bad law like Roe.

Number_6 said:
The discussions we have right now are anything but. Instead, you have one group of fanatics protecting a bad law with everything they can muster, to make sure it's never really scrutinized too much. One the other side, a group of fanatics who want to eliminate even the possibility of destroying a cluster of cells, and are willing to blow up clinics in order to force society to adopt their values as a matter of law.

That's the legacy of Roe.

OK on this we agree.

I just don't agree. Birth control neither works effectively or makes one responsible. I had all three of my children using seventeen different forms of birth control simultaneously.

ABORTION IS NOT BIRTH CONTROL and creating transference by suggesting that it is is what the problem is.

If men could get pregnant, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. The rhetoric would be completely different.

jack said:
I just don't agree. Birth control neither works effectively or makes one responsible. I had all three of my children using seventeen different forms of birth control simultaneously.

Damn, you must have Super-Sperm!

I notice you said, "I had all my children", meaning, you owned up to the consequences of your actions, and didn't let an innocent die as a result of your mistake. Great.

ABORTION IS NOT BIRTH CONTROL and creating transference by suggesting that it is is what the problem is.

No, abortion is not intended to be birth control. However, in the real world, where this discussion is taking place, too many women use abortion as birth control after the fact. I would love to see the statistics as to the percentage of total annual abortions that are not the woman's first. You & Friday should try living in the real world, there are only a tiny fraction of women who use abortion to terminate a pregnancy due to health reasons, or because they were raped.

If men could get pregnant, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. The rhetoric would be completely different.

As the old saying goes, "If wishes and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas". See my above point about joining us in the real world.

Friday said:
EDIT: Answer to BDM's post...

Do you think women who have unwanted pregnancies easily decide to have an abortion? That this decision is as easy as deciding what to wear on any given day?

No idea. I've never known anyone who's had an abortion. It must not be too hard, after all they decide to go through with it.

Some women do use abortion as a method of birth control, this is true. However, the majority of women who seek abortions do so because of the inability to fit a child into their lives, for whatever reason.

How is this not using abortion as "retroactive birth control"? If you know that having sex can result in pregnancy, and you know you can't fit a child into your life, then it follows that the only sure way to prevent this situation is to refrain from sex until you are ready to have a baby. How much simpler can it be? I'm not a prude, or a religious fanatic who views sex as "dirty". I had plenty of pre-marital sex. However, I was always cognizant of the fact that I was gambling with my future. It's doubly risky for men to have premarital sex. See, as a man, I wouldn't have had any say in my pregnant partner's choice.

With abortion on demand, it removes one of the biggest consequences to having premarital sex, at least for the woman. It removes abstinence as a realistic option, and it actually devalues women.

For some, it's not a matter of choice, but a matter of individual survival.

Come on, join us in the real world. I am CERTAIN that the number of abortions performed for medical reasons is dwarfed by the number performed as a result of choice.

"Pro-Abortion" sounds like one is actively endorsing the idea, as opposed to fighting for the choice to consider it an option.

How is fighting for the option of abortion not endorsing the idea?? I mean, if I were to endorse making driving drunk an individual "choice", aren't I endorsing the idea of driving drunk?

Big Dick McGee said:
No idea. I've never known anyone who's had an abortion. It must not be too hard, after all they decide to go through with it.
Wrong. For some, it's an agonizing decision that leaves it's mark for years afterwards. Not all women are ready to jump into that choice on a whim.

How is this not using abortion as "retroactive birth control"? If you know that having sex can result in pregnancy, and you know you can't fit a child into your life, then it follows that the only sure way to prevent this situation is to refrain from sex until you are ready to have a baby. How much simpler can it be? I'm not a prude, or a religious fanatic who views sex as "dirty". I had plenty of pre-marital sex. However, I was always cognizant of the fact that I was gambling with my future. It's doubly risky for men to have premarital sex. See, as a man, I wouldn't have had any say in my pregnant partner's choice.
Again, some women do utilize abortions as birth control. But every woman's situation is different. What would you say to a woman who wants to have an abortion because she was raped, and it resulted in a pregnancy? And what if this woman is poor, and couldn't afford to cross state lines if Roe V Wade were handed back to the states?

With abortion on demand, it removes one of the biggest consequences to having premarital sex, at least for the woman. It removes abstinence as a realistic option, and it actually devalues women.
Abstinence is taught as a moral option. If girls are raised in the type of environment that encourages it, then the odds are far less that they will engage in irresponsible sex. It's not the access to abortion that encourages pre marital sex, it's the prevailing morals in one's immediate environment.

Come on, join us in the real world. I am CERTAIN that the number of abortions performed for medical reasons is dwarfed by the number performed as a result of choice.
I am not disputing this. But remember...250 deaths a year due to illegal abortions is a small number, but it's 250 more than is acceptable in my eyes.

How is fighting for the option of abortion not endorsing the idea?? I mean, if I were to endorse making driving drunk an individual "choice", aren't I endorsing the idea of driving drunk?
It's a matter of perspective. In my eyes, "Pro Abortion" means one is advocating the procedure above all other choices. I, mosty certainly, am not.