American Idol

eloisel

Forever Empress E
After last year's outcome, I am determined not to become emotionally invested in any of the contestants. I'm just glad that Adam Lambert is doing as well as he is. That kid works it and deserves every bit of fame and good fortune he gets.

The only year they got it right was David Cook. Adam's talent is so much bigger than Idol anyways.

This year there really isn't even anyone left other than Lee who's even very GOOD except Crystal so I hope that America gets it right again.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
I don't willingly watch the show but from what I've heard over the years some of the better talent deliberately bows out in order to guide their own career paths while still getting exposure from the tv time. I think Daughtry was one of those who kinda hinted that he lost on purpose. The winner gets locked into lots of Idol-related personal appearance crap and has to sign lots of restrictive contracts. I think I remember the first one talking about it too.

eloisel

Forever Empress E
The only year they got it right was David Cook. Adam's talent is so much bigger than Idol anyways.

This year there really isn't even anyone left other than Lee who's even very GOOD except Crystal so I hope that America gets it right again.

Yeah, I was in to David Cook too - still am. David Archuleta is a serious talent and I wouldn't have cried if he had won. Archuleta is just more for a little younger demographic.

eloisel

Forever Empress E
I don't willingly watch the show but from what I've heard over the years some of the better talent deliberately bows out in order to guide their own career paths while still getting exposure from the tv time. I think Daughtry was one of those who kinda hinted that he lost on purpose. The winner gets locked into lots of Idol-related personal appearance crap and has to sign lots of restrictive contracts. I think I remember the first one talking about it too.

I think some of the contestants are very talented but probably not "American Idol" material. Just that title conjures up images for me of Frankie and Annette romping on the beach singing before a clam bake.

It wouldn't surprise me that they perform enough to get the recognition from AI then take off to pursue a career without the strings of AI. Users using users. That is show business.

eloisel

Forever Empress E
Elton John is performing "Your Song" on AI right now. It is breaking my heart. So many people I love that are gone now were alive and well when that song first came out. Elton John's voice has aged well.

How wonderful life is while you're in the world ...

Now, I'm going to my room to cry.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
Elton John is performing "Your Song" on AI right now. It is breaking my heart. So many people I love that are gone now were alive and well when that song first came out. Elton John's voice has aged well.

How wonderful life is while you're in the world ...

Now, I'm going to my room to cry.

I thought you had to be British to get all teary-eyed over a dowdy old queen.

eloisel

Forever Empress E
A dowdy old British queen or a weepy old American empress - it is all the same when the tears begin to flow.

Nah Donovan. The Brits don't have the corner on the teary eyed over dowdy queens market. There are some decent things about this year's Idol Gives Back show, like Joss Stone and David Cook. There is also the usual whatever factor but I figure this week at least is all in a very good cause.

eloisel

Forever Empress E
I should love Harry Connick Jr. He's talented, nice looking, kind of sexy ... all that, but, I don't like the way he sings. And the way he steered these contestants - man, not good. The musicians seem to be playing a different arrangement than what the singer is singing.

Down four performers and so far only Big Mike is doing very well with Sinatra night. Of course, he sang one of my favorites and did it pretty well. ("The Way You Look Tonight")

My favorite performance of "The Way You Look Tonight" is still from Peter's Friends:
[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2W6JKXYxIUQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2W6JKXYxIUQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Lee's performance was okay tonight too but he just doesn't appeal to me.

eloisel

Forever Empress E
Young Aaron is gone. I think he'll be back in the limelight again in the future.

American Idol is losing its audience. Surprise, surprise. The contestants aren't that interesting this year. Then, Adam Lambert should have been the AI winner last year. He was clearly the best talent. I barely even remembered Kris Allen when he won - it was like "what? where did that guy come from?" Then, Paula Abdul was treated nastily and let go from the show. To top it all off, Simon is leaving at the end of this season. It is obvious he is ready to move on too. Maybe it will be the end of AI this year too.

eloisel

Forever Empress E
Down to the final four and it is music from the movies night.

Lee was up first - did the Kiss from a Rose song - not great.
Then, Big Mike - MJ song - not good at all.
*sigh* not looking good

eloisel

Forever Empress E
This bunch of contestants are so barely above mediocre I just don't care which one wins, or even if any of them win. Wish we could redo the season David Cook won. That was a very good season.

Friday

Bazinga!
I agree. I'd buy Crystal's albums because I like her genre of music. Otherwise...Meh.

eloisel

Forever Empress E
I agree. I'd buy Crystal's albums because I like her genre of music. Otherwise...Meh.

I like that style of music too but I don't generally listen to a whole album of it at a time. I might buy individual songs of hers.

eloisel

Forever Empress E
Justin Bieber is on American Idol tonight. The sad thing that as bubble gum and young as he is, he is more entertaining than the contestants this year.

eloisel

Forever Empress E
Casey was eliminated tonight.
Down between Lee and Crystal next week.
Big deal.
I imagine AI is on its last legs.

eloisel

Forever Empress E
I know - it is time for a change. It is a new day. We need new.

eloisel

Forever Empress E
Crystal should win. Of the two slightly better than mediocre, she is a tad bit better.

Crystal's style reminds me of the late Eva Cassidy. Eva had some absolutely stunning songs and some that just weren't great. She was basically a coffee house singer but she had a beautiful voice. It is sad that she died young and her success posthumous.

Fields of Gold
[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CnucawyfE8k&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CnucawyfE8k&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

and Songbird
[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mJFmM2gGhqY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mJFmM2gGhqY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

and I Know You By Heart
[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dDy3lQYPzS4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dDy3lQYPzS4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Yeah, she was a talent.