Anyone find the sudden opposition to the 14th amendment fishy?

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
This thread makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Eloisel, have you gotten a new job lately? Voter registration cards are one form of ID that a person can use to get a job, but if you pay attention, it's a non-photo ID so there needs to be another form of documentation proving you're an american citizen. As far as voting is concerned, every time I've changed my address and re-registered to vote, when I go to a ballot box (which is often as I like voting in everything I can) for the first time since I moved, they make me present them with some form of photo ID that you can only really get when you're a US citizen. Hell, in PA you need all kinds of documentation for ANY ID you get, Driver's license, voter registration, you name it.

Those people taking only voter registration cards as ID aren't making their employees fill out I-9's. That's for sure. I'm also positive they're not fully disclosing their income, too.

Not that the US hasn't cracked-down on that sort of thing. A friend of mine owns a landscaping business and he's checked twice a year from the IRS to make sure his employees are legal. He never hired illegals, ever.

eloisel

Forever Empress E
This thread makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Eloisel, have you gotten a new job lately? Voter registration cards are one form of ID that a person can use to get a job, but if you pay attention, it's a non-photo ID so there needs to be another form of documentation proving you're an american citizen. As far as voting is concerned, every time I've changed my address and re-registered to vote, when I go to a ballot box (which is often as I like voting in everything I can) for the first time since I moved, they make me present them with some form of photo ID that you can only really get when you're a US citizen. Hell, in PA you need all kinds of documentation for ANY ID you get, Driver's license, voter registration, you name it.

Those people taking only voter registration cards as ID aren't making their employees fill out I-9's. That's for sure. I'm also positive they're not fully disclosing their income, too.

Not that the US hasn't cracked-down on that sort of thing. A friend of mine owns a landscaping business and he's checked twice a year from the IRS to make sure his employees are legal. He never hired illegals, ever.

This is the thing. You stated that candidates in an election do not need to worry about persons who are in the country illegally because they can't vote. I stated that they may not have the legal right to vote, but there are some persons who are in the country illegally who do vote. Whatever anyone else reads into that they need to remember what they are reading into it is based on their own prejudices and racist bigotry.

eloisel

Forever Empress E
Also, there was a pretty big scandal a couple of years ago about the Dallas Independent School District giving undocumented workers and students fake social security card numbers.

Dirk Funk

Evil Penguin
Here you go.

And Dirk, I save my racism accusations for you and eloisel, because I do truly believe that, in your heart of hearts, you feel uncomfortable around non-white people, and that's reflected by your attitudes towards immigration and the downtown Manhattan mosque. Your brand of "libertarianism for whites, authoritarianism for browns" is one of the most disgusting political positions I've had the pleasure of being exposed to.

What I find truly amazing is how you somehow manage to navigate a message board with the pre-school level reading comprehension you've clearly demonstrated. You can't argue facts, so in order to deflect attention from your inability to debate, you resort to "You're a racist. You hate brown people." I've dealt with people like you on boards before, but they usually quit once they've been exposed. You however, persist. You have yet to demonstrate anything that I have said to be racist. I'm also anxiously awaiting the Olympian level display of mental gymnastics it requires to come to the conclusion that Islam is a race, and disagreement with Islamic teachings and practice somehow constitutes racism. Either produce proof, or STFU. I suspect you can't, which just proves you to be what everyone here knows you are. A race-baiting fail merchant. Do you care to respond to any of the points I presented earlier in the thread? If not, concession accepted.

Consumer

Elder Statesman
True story.

The place: The Caribbean

The Situation: USCG Cutter has just stopped a boat-load of Haitians with little food, no water, and no reliable means of propelling their boat (ran out of gas). They were attempting to get to the USA, although their navigation was such that their next land-fall would probably be Portugal. Every man, woman, and child was dehydrated and had a plethora of parasitic and infectious diseases. Most had every thing they owned in a small, plastic grocery bag. The boat was about 30 feet long. There were about 50 people aboard.

One woman was 9 months pregnant. USCG personnel immediately started an IV to hydrate her, started monitoring her vitals, further treated for shock, and prepped her for transport to the cutter's infirmary on a stoak's litter. The Emigration Services officer (for interviews) on board stopped the transport. "If she has that baby on this ship, we can't deport her". For the next 16 hours the woman is monitored by a medical team on board this leaking, stinking, highly un-safe boat. A Navy Helicopter finally arrives and transports the woman back to Haiti. The rest of the people on the boat are repatriated by "conventional" means via way of the cutter. Boat is sunk as a hazard to navigation with .50's.

That was my introduction to the practical effects of the 14th amendment. BTW, this was in 1989.

Consumer

Elder Statesman
Double post, the board's slow today.

'Gear

RIP 1970~2018
The New Colossus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Emma Lazarus 1883

Dirk Funk

Evil Penguin
True story.

The place: The Caribbean

The Situation: USCG Cutter has just stopped a boat-load of Haitians with little food, no water, and no reliable means of propelling their boat (ran out of gas). They were attempting to get to the USA, although their navigation was such that their next land-fall would probably be Portugal. Every man, woman, and child was dehydrated and had a plethora of parasitic and infectious diseases. Most had every thing they owned in a small, plastic grocery bag. The boat was about 30 feet long. There were about 50 people aboard.

One woman was 9 months pregnant. USCG personnel immediately started an IV to hydrate her, started monitoring her vitals, further treated for shock, and prepped her for transport to the cutter's infirmary on a stoak's litter. The Emigration Services officer (for interviews) on board stopped the transport. "If she has that baby on this ship, we can't deport her". For the next 16 hours the woman is monitored by a medical team on board this leaking, stinking, highly un-safe boat. A Navy Helicopter finally arrives and transports the woman back to Haiti. The rest of the people on the boat are repatriated by "conventional" means via way of the cutter. Boat is sunk as a hazard to navigation with .50's.

That was my introduction to the practical effects of the 14th amendment. BTW, this was in 1989.

While I agree that's a disturbing situation, I'd chalk that up to bureaucratic stupidity than an actual problem with the law. Throwing out something as important as the 14th amendment because of small things that can be handled with policy changes is a really bad idea.

eloisel

Forever Empress E
However, the 14th amendment guarantees citizenship to a person born in the United States.

I had a friend who was born in Germany when her father was stationed there while in the military. Although both her parents were born and raised in the States and only in Germany on government business, she was not considered an American at birth. Strange how that is.

eloisel

Forever Empress E
SAUSAGEMAN: Wrong again. Any child born to two US citizens is also a US citizen.
On this you are correct. As I recall her telling me she was not a US citizen although both her parents were and she was born in Germany, I called her to verify what she told me. She had dual citizenship at birth and had the opportunity to choose her citizenship before the age of 23. She chose to renounce her American citizenship when she was 18 then decided to come back to the States when her family returned to America.

My error.