August in Texas

eloisel

Forever Empress E
Usually, it is in the 100s with a month or two or three without rain by mid August. Not this year. It was 69 degrees and pouring down rain Saturday. It was nice Sunday, low 80s. It was nice yesterday but it got up to 93. Today it is hovering between 69 and 72, raining off and on.

Not complaining. My front yard has recovered from near dead over night. Wish I had a fireplace in one of my living rooms. I'd be curled up beside it with a good book and a cup of cocoa.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
We just pulled all the dead/spotted leaves off the tomatoes. They have some kind of rot. I'm harvesting the hungarian yellow peppers and the little red thai peppers along with zucchini and pettipans too, 3 pints of cherry tomatoes and four pints pf blueberries.

:bigass:

eloisel

Forever Empress E
We have bananas at the supermarkets in Texas.

Don't know any of them by name.

Filthy Whore

Mad Arse Face
I've only been to Texas when I was in the military and I hated it. San Antonio seemed nice enough, I guess but Wichita Falls is the WORST. Ever been there?

eloisel

Forever Empress E
Oh yeah. Pass through Wichita Falls on my way to Austin all the time. San Antonio and Austin are two of my favorite places to go. Where were you stationed? Fort Hood?

eloisel

Forever Empress E
Oops - I go through Waco on the way to Austin. Wichita Falls is north of me. Drove past it a few weeks ago when out on a drive. Doesn't seem like much is there.

eloisel

Forever Empress E
It was another mild day in the high 80s, low 90s. Makes me wonder how this winter will be.

Texas is awesome. Where to go is pretty much dependent on what you like to do, or see, or eat, or hear, or participate in.

Austin is a place for the eclectic types. I go there a few times a year for writers conventions and guild activities. Plus, it is one of the stops on a regular vacation circuit of southern Texas. Some like to think it is a foodie type of town. I'm not a foodie but they do have some decent restaurants. Typically, while there, I take a train ride, a boat ride, visit a museum and a garden, try one restaurant I haven't been to before as well as eat at my favorite place - Kerby's Cafe, see the bats, and shop downtown.

San Antonio is colorful. It is also on my stops of my southern Texas circuit vacation. My favorite hotel is across the street from two international markets with fabulous shopping and one of my favorite restaurants complete with mariachis. I like sitting on the balcony of my hotel room in the morning, drinking coffee and watching the musicians in their black outfits embellished with silver, guitars slung across their backs, trekking to work. The trolley stop is only a couple of blocks from that same hotel so I can leave my car, take a walk, catch the trolley and go downtown for sightseeing. Always tour the Alamo and visit the Riverwalk for another boat ride and dining at either the snazzy, super fancy Italian restaurant or Rainforest Cafe. Since we have a Rainforest Cafe nearer to where I live now, I usually opt for the snazzy, super fancy Italian restaurant.

There are a ton of little towns off I-35 that don't look like much from the interstate but are actually very cool little towns. Lots of artsy type places that pride themselves on the eccentricities that set them apart from other small towns in the area. What I explore usually depends on who is with me or if I'm by myself. Different friends find different things interesting. Me, I like it all.

Surely you passed something of interest between San Antonio and Wichita Falls. You went through or near the DFW area - Dallas and Fort Worth, which is a huge area for work, entertainment, excitement, activity in general. The air force bases that were around here are closed now. At least, they say they are closed.

MamaKitty

Usually, it is in the 100s with a month or two or three without rain by mid August. Not this year. It was 69 degrees and pouring down rain Saturday. It was nice Sunday, low 80s. It was nice yesterday but it got up to 93. Today it is hovering between 69 and 72, raining off and on.

Not complaining. My front yard has recovered from near dead over night. Wish I had a fireplace in one of my living rooms. I'd be curled up beside it with a good book and a cup of cocoa.

It's been nice here too.
The cracks in the back yard are starting to go away, some of my plants might make it. 3 rose bushes I think are going to have to be replaced.

I told my husband I wanted to do a picnic tomorrow if it's nice like this still.

As for the fire place, I have one here that you can come and visit, but I think it's still to warm for that right now.